• Advertisement

Home Security

Post General Washington Topics here

Moderator: MrDanB

Home Security

Postby idahobeef » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 am

So my mother and I have been having a BIG debate about whether or not to light the outside of our house at night. She says no, I say yes. She's now bedridden so I have secretly put up automatic solar powered sentry lights at several locations on our trailer where people usually walk by. They automtically light up when someone passes and a 5 pack only cost me $30 on Amazon. I also have a laser sensor but it often gives off the wrong signal in my room, so i dont use it for now. I made these changes because some stupid kids or crack heads are stealing stuff from our cars and property. We've been here 22 years and NEVER had anything stolen until I caught one of them a few weeks ago, she just strolled up under our car canopy where my brother smokes and strated stealing his butts. Boy was I LIVID. I chewed her (Censored word. I'm a potty mouth) out good, she lied about everything, and the trailer court wont get rid of them. They also stole everything out of our van the day before, but I didnt realize it until a few days later. In some ways I'd like to get a big assed DOG to eat them or scare them, but my mentally retarded brother would hurt the dog (he likes to hurt animals, which is sad and sick). If the SHTF I will still have my solar lights, but if everyone elses' place is dark, will I be signalling to people to come to our home? EEK!
idahobeef

Re: Home Security

Postby Stahlrosen » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:18 am

We were a little concerned about something similar when our power went out for a week. We still had lights when everyone else didn't. What actually happened was the electric company workers that were finally able to get to our area, didn't check our lines because they thought we had power! We had to call them back and tell them we were still out! :crazy:

I'm sure someone will come up with a good answer, but I almost think in a consolidated area like a subdivision, "groups" might gang up on you. I don't know. We are pretty remote, so don't have that issue. On the flip side they might look for easier prey and leave you alone if the place is lit up.
Stahlrosen

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:59 am

idahobeef wrote:So my mother and I have been having a BIG debate about whether or not to light the outside of our house at night. She says no, I say yes. She's now bedridden so I have secretly put up automatic solar powered sentry lights at several locations on our trailer where people usually walk by. They automtically light up when someone passes and a 5 pack only cost me $30 on Amazon. I also have a laser sensor but it often gives off the wrong signal in my room, so i dont use it for now. I made these changes because some stupid kids or crack heads are stealing stuff from our cars and property. We've been here 22 years and NEVER had anything stolen until I caught one of them a few weeks ago, she just strolled up under our car canopy where my brother smokes and strated stealing his butts. Boy was I LIVID. I chewed her (Censored word. I'm a potty mouth) out good, she lied about everything, and the trailer court wont get rid of them. They also stole everything out of our van the day before, but I didnt realize it until a few days later. In some ways I'd like to get a big assed DOG to eat them or scare them, but my mentally retarded brother would hurt the dog (he likes to hurt animals, which is sad and sick). If the SHTF I will still have my solar lights, but if everyone elses' place is dark, will I be signalling to people to come to our home? EEK!

come a SHTF - even a minor one with the cops tooo buzy to bother - those very same will be coming into your place - over your dead body if necessary ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby IceFire » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:06 pm

We have a motion-activated, solar-powered security light out at our (locked) gate, one on the shed where husband stores his motorcycle, one by the well, and one at the corner of the house by the chicken run (that one I mainly to deter coyotes and other "varmints".)

If lights start coming on when none of us is out and about, we go out with the Judge, rifle, shotgun, or all three!
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby donba » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:14 pm

We have 3 battery powered, Motion-activated lights. This remind me new gutters on the house so now i have to reposition them more work for me…..
donba

Postby JC1 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:05 pm

I was out with some of my friends, we were talking about a similar situation. I told them, I just needed to make my house less accessible and appealing, to a criminal, then the next house (not rocket science criminals are lazy, they want easy). We leave our outside lights on all night to discourage unwanted visitors. As soon as I shut my mouth, I realized what I'd just said..... My friend, sitting next to me, is also my next door neighbor :whistling:

However, I have noticed that their outside lights are now on all night too. :thumbup:
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government
take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. Henry Ford
JC1

Return to Washington Discussion, News and Weather