• Advertisement

Paying for Canning

Post General Washington Topics here

Moderator: MrDanB

Paying for Canning

Postby idahobeef » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:09 am

Anyone ever thought of this idea? Canning is a horribly long process for such a small amount of food. However, food preserved like this lasts for years and years, unlike cans from the grocery store. I'd pay someone to can some of my high end goodies like peaches and pears, and maybe some honeybutter. I dont know how much profit would be in this though, but its a thought since most people tend to dislike the whole process of canning (we did it for years and finally stopped and bought cans and frozen instead).
idahobeef

Re: Paying for Canning

Postby contrarian » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:35 am

I'm not sure that I could/would can for others. The legal issues aside for a moment, the time is pretty extensive and it would carry a relatively high cost, even if one also offset the costs while the product processed in the canner. Just the prep time is significant. Interested in what others think however.
Prepping -- prudence in action
You either stand for something or you will put up with anything.
Study all sides and aspects to a situation but learn to reject 90% of what is said.
contrarian
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby watcher » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:40 am

Working out a barter would probably work better. I have been approached that way (as being the canning person) but nothing came of it (idea just fizzled due to poor garden output on thier part).
Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort.
watcher
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby anita » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:25 am

If you find someone who is willing to do all the prep work and can, send me their name. I'd way rather be in the garden than canning in the kitchen. It is tough work, time and labor intensive.

Also, home-canned foods have the same nutritional deterioration as canned foods from the store. You may not have the metal issues, but home canned foods aren't immune to vitamin loss, fat rancidity, etc.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby angie_nrs » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:14 pm

Actually I did see a Craigslist ad a couple of years ago advertising "kitchen for rent for canning purposes." It included a picture of the kitchen, which was clearly specifically set up for canning. The rental price included the owner of the kitchen as a "helper" with considerable canning knowledge and good with a paring knife. All the utensils were also available for use and jars were available for purchase if needed. I thought it was a neat way to advertise to someone HOW to can without taking the responsibility of guaranteeing the end product. Clever......

I have thought about having a canning party with my like minded friends. I already have a list of folks in my head that I know would participate. I don't have my canning kitchen finished yet but when I do, I would like to have friends over and we could make a party out of it. Someone could bring peaches, another could bring tomatoes, another could bring green beans, etc. We could all pitch in and get all of one thing done, then move on to the next. At the end, we could divide out all the products so that everyone gets to take everything home. Those who wanted to switch with someone else could do that too so that they don't get sent home with beans if they don't like them. I can't wait to try this out sometime. I'd also like to get a large amount of chicken breast on sale and can up that too! With a bunch of people to bounce off ideas with, I'm sure we would all learn lots and have some good times too........and fill the pantry for winter.
angie_nrs

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:55 pm

angie_nrs wrote:Actually I did see a Craigslist ad a couple of years ago advertising "kitchen for rent for canning purposes." It included a picture of the kitchen, which was clearly specifically set up for canning. The rental price included the owner of the kitchen as a "helper" with considerable canning knowledge and good with a paring knife. All the utensils were also available for use and jars were available for purchase if needed. I thought it was a neat way to advertise to someone HOW to can without taking the responsibility of guaranteeing the end product. Clever......

I have thought about having a canning party with my like minded friends. I already have a list of folks in my head that I know would participate. I don't have my canning kitchen finished yet but when I do, I would like to have friends over and we could make a party out of it. Someone could bring peaches, another could bring tomatoes, another could bring green beans, etc. We could all pitch in and get all of one thing done, then move on to the next. At the end, we could divide out all the products so that everyone gets to take everything home. Those who wanted to switch with someone else could do that too so that they don't get sent home with beans if they don't like them. I can't wait to try this out sometime. I'd also like to get a large amount of chicken breast on sale and can up that too! With a bunch of people to bounce off ideas with, I'm sure we would all learn lots and have some good times too........and fill the pantry for winter.

if something happened in any respect - you'd still be on the hook - just 5,000 X worse tying your home or business location into the legal mess ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:38 pm

No, wouldn't do it, but wish I had a canning kitchen In the garage or outside to keep the mess out of my house.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby contrarian » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:28 pm

PatrioticStabilist wrote:No, wouldn't do it, but wish I had a canning kitchen In the garage or outside to keep the mess out of my house.

A summer kitchen to keep all the heat and mess out of the house is on my wish list as well. Unsure that I'll see that but I'm planning on it.
Prepping -- prudence in action
You either stand for something or you will put up with anything.
Study all sides and aspects to a situation but learn to reject 90% of what is said.
contrarian

Postby angie_nrs » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:44 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:
angie_nrs wrote:Actually I did see a Craigslist ad a couple of years ago advertising "kitchen for rent for canning purposes." It included a picture of the kitchen, which was clearly specifically set up for canning. The rental price included the owner of the kitchen as a "helper" with considerable canning knowledge and good with a paring knife. All the utensils were also available for use and jars were available for purchase if needed. I thought it was a neat way to advertise to someone HOW to can without taking the responsibility of guaranteeing the end product. Clever......

if something happened in any respect - you'd still be on the hook - just 5,000 X worse tying your home or business location into the legal mess ....

Well, no I wouldn't be on the hook. It wasn't MY ad.....just something I saw on CL. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they made their renters sign an agreement for legal purposes before renting. It's really sad that the lawyers in this country have brought it all to this. :thumbdown:

My canning kitchen is not in my house. It'll likely be a couple of years before it's up and ready to go. As far as friends and family having a canning party......yeah, I'm not worried about legal action with them. Besides, if we ALL bring food and participate in the process, we'd all be responsible for the canned food, regardless if it's good or bad. I'll take my chances. There's not a thing I have that my family would have to sue me for.......they only have to ask.
angie_nrs

Return to Washington Discussion, News and Weather