• Advertisement

VIRUS: the near-impossibility of getting sick

Post General Washington Topics here

Moderator: MrDanB

VIRUS: the near-impossibility of getting sick

Postby idahobeef » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:16 am

Soooo, my younger brother and his goofy girlfriend rode the bus a few weeks ago, and brought home the worst cold any of us has ever had. It was so debilitating that it was utter misery for all of us for nearly 10 days. Afterwards, I began to think about viruses like the flu and how nearly impossible it would be to avoid it during a pandemic. Think about it, it seems like you HAVE to go out and get groceries, to check on family, to visit the doctor or dentist, get medicine, all expose you to germs!!! One of the reasons I am championing automated DRONES is because it helps avoid all this stuff. Imagine your drone dropping off medicine at your home, instead of you going and standing in line at the grocery store, waiting to get the meds (and the nearby germs). I think its great Amazon will delivery items using drones, it saves on gas and car mileage too! You can also securely patrol the borders of your property with a drone and not risk lives from potentially sick invaders.

However, in a pandemic situation I believe it would be extremely hard to avoid getting sick from the germs because we need to go outside and do "things". I guess we'd better choose one person to go out, quarantine them if they get sick in a small part of the house, and totally minimize the need to go out of the house (thats why we stock food and water so heavily). Sadly, the way germs seem to sneak into our house and our lives, I think it will be near impossible to avoid it all. Thoughts? Comments? No flames pls, this is just theory.

PS: my buddy is a nurse and he told me in a real pandemic, at least half of the medical staff wouldn't show up. INTERESTING!
idahobeef

Re: VIRUS: the near-impossibility of getting sick

Postby daaswampman » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:15 pm

I think your buddy is very optimistic! I have a life and people I care about, that comes before saving the hoards! If that does not meet with some cowboys expectation of saving the world, oh well. We are all decedent's of those who chose to survive. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Cast Iron » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:20 pm

Sorry to hear about having the cold.

One upside you can take away from it, is now your body has the antigens to fight if you encounter the virus again.

Interesting question you pose.

If it is a true all out pandemic, will grocery stores even be open? Will anyone show up to work?
For this scenario, lets say key services remain open.

What kind of virus, how it is transmitted will dictate what Body Substance Isolation (BSI) equipment you will require.

The person who goes out, once they reach their destination, they could don a disposable tyvek suit, nitrile gloves, duct tape them shut, protective eye wear, and maybe some kind of respiratory filter.

Once the person returns, remove BSI equipment, dispose of the disposable items, wash the reusable items in a strong bleach concentrated mix or other disinfectant.

Then the person themselves washes throughly in a disinfectant.

It is possible to keep germs, bacteria, viruses out of the house as long as you understand the possible vectors and transmission of the particular disease, and how to mitigate them.

I do not recall the percentage, but the simple act of washing your hands can reduce the spread of germs and help prevent getting sick.

http://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/index.html
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifes ... t-20046253
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby LeeLynn » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:32 pm

Maybe the rest of the world needs to go out in public places but as a prepped, I have the ability to hold up for a couple years if need be. Pandemics, civil unrest, natural disasters, and so forth are why we prep. The Ill prepared are the ones subjected to catastrophic situations.
LeeLynn

Postby Cast Iron » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:38 pm

Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby donba » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:41 pm

As a prepper part of the reason we prep is for things of this nature. Granted someone bringing home a virus during normal times can be bad. If a pandemic alert was sounded on national media, or by Ready Mom, we would go into a modified lock down mode. Last trip to the store for fresh veg. and fruit, maybe extra TP, and milk. Then lock down no one in or out without precautions. If a neighbor needs something at least a 10 foot space will be maintained, outside of the house. If mail comes it will sit out side in a box. We are in our 70 Des, and will take no chances or prisoners……..
donba

Postby JayJay » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:03 pm

LeeLynn wrote:Maybe the rest of the world needs to go out in public places but as a prepped, I have the ability to hold up for a couple years if need be. Pandemics, civil unrest, natural disasters, and so forth are why we prep. The Ill prepared are the ones subjected to catastrophic situations.

I agree with your post--I only left the house twice for an hour each time since Oct. 11...
I just left the house that day because I need to drive my car once a month to keep it charged; I didn't NEED anything...just have a bad alternator.
I had a fantastic TG dinner and didn't leave the house.

Saying that, I am still prepared for a flu/cold event for Gene or me(mostly Gene--I've never had a cold or flu, and I'm 66)
Flu tea from the Mennonites, vitamin A stocked, blackberry syrup, vitamin C/Tang, peppermint tea and ginger.
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby ReadyMom » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:47 pm

I started my prepping part of life, due to the concerns of a global pandemic from the H5N1 bird flu virus, so this topic is right up my alley!

The ONLY way to stop spread of a pandemic virus is to vaccinate against the virus and for 'Community Mitigation', which is a community-wide effort to stop the virus, with interruption in ANY physical/outside contact with other people in group situations. It means closing businesses, schools, no shopping, wearing protective gear (Personal Protective Equipment/PPE) if you *do* have to go out.

If you prepare for pandemic, you are pretty much prepared for *anything* that you may come across. It HAS to be a community-wide effort to control and it will be time consuming, with a probably 2nd wave of the virus coming through your community, before the virus is controlled.

If you are interested I have an entire section of my 'Emergency Home Preparation' website devoted to pandemics and what you should consider & know. It took the better part of the first 6 years of my prepping life to pull most of that information together (along with attendance at national, state & local prep meetings that were 'pandemic'-specific. You can find that info here: http://www.emergencyhomepreparation.org ... m.php?f=18

We also have a pandemic thread on the APN Forum: viewforum.php?f=637 -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby oldasrocks » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:03 am

If you are in lockdown mode no one will be going out to shop. Anybody that does probably won't make it home anyway.

Last winter my wife went to her country for 3 months to visit her sick father. In 3 months I only went to town twice to the auto parts store. I never was sick with anything the whole winter. The trick is to NOT go out.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:02 am

So we took a trip to Mn a few months ago, I got sick as a dog. Every time I go back there I catch something.

I guess in a crisis human to human interaction would be minimal so spreading of an epidemic might be more difficult?
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Return to Washington Discussion, News and Weather