• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Its a mistake....

Post General Washington Topics here

Moderator: MrDanB

Re: Its a mistake....

Postby idahobeef » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:42 am

Cast Iron wrote:Idahobeef, first and foremost I have to inform you, your thread title immediately brought the Australian 80s rock band Men At Work and their song "It's a Mistake" to mind.

I am singing it now in my head.
Damn you.

Muwhahaha! I was listening to that very song when this subject occurred to me :)
idahobeef

Postby JayJay » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:37 am

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:Right there with ya....lessons learned.

As Angie said, moving is the only real solution...anything else at this point results in zombies at the door.

Stashing your stuff might save you some loss but they'll still be coming. desperation when nothing found will lead to further violence. So IF you survive it, sure, there's supplies to fall back on.

I went with a combination of going grey, stashing and displaying hard target.

The cats outa the bag, cant put it back, so I decided to make myself a very visible hard target until we actually move. Verbally and visible. AR's in full site going to the range every weekend for practice, 1000 rounds visible at purchase, Very frank talks with neighbors of training every weekend for long range and CQB training with vets and local sheriffs that have formed a network(Happens to be true).....Discussions of how(And this actually happened) a work associate stated to me "They don't need to prep, He'll just show up at my front door if SHTF...ha, ha, ha".....And how I told him very seriously I answered "If SHTF and anyone shows up at my door for anything that they will be met with the wrong end of a barrel by multiple Vets and myself...No one would be allowed in and no extra food will be available to leave and bodies on the lawn will help us deter the next door knocker."...........

This was stated to the nosey neighbor that often offers his un-asked opinion on the neighborhood goings-on in day to day conversations......I know my message got out when another prepped neighbor told me he heard about the conversation....lol......he also heard from same said neighbor that I had sold my stuff(Food) as I was in financial hardship...lol...another white lie.

Truth is, nothing short of moving will fix this....But, hard target ideology will deter all but the most desperate and if it comes to that, neighbors would be hit first(softer targets), and then they'll hit you after all others have been hit and they were going to hit you eventually anyways.....With enough time passing in a SHTF it's inevitable whether you're known as a prepper or not so better be prepped for that as well.

Anyone here can disagree but no one will state anything other than opinion since it's not happened yet in the US......This is the route I chose. It doesn't matter since the cats outa the bag and can never be put back in.

Best solution if you ever open your big fat mouth is to move....The only real security is to never open said mouth to begin with......
If you already have, like the dumb-asss that I was, broadcast :tank: :gunsmile: :gunshooting: :gunsmile: hard target :gunsmile: :gunshooting: :gunsmile: :tank: until you move.

We still wave to each other but the prepping jokes stopped immediately. ;)

my $.02

~D

WOW!!! MOst of your story could be my story!!

There's no chance of us moving any time soon. Husband had a seizure, banged his head against a log mill yard, had craniotomy, and is at day 29 after surgery.

All those neighbors have proven to be just that--folks that live near us...not one call or visit for 17 days.
I had to watch Gene every few minutes (run in an run back out!!)the 4th day from rehab( I kidnapped him) while I mowed a yard not mowed for almost 4 weeks!!

Some great neighbors I have, huh!
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby daaswampman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:34 pm

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:Right there with ya....lessons learned.

As Angie said, moving is the only real solution...anything else at this point results in zombies at the door.

Stashing your stuff might save you some loss but they'll still be coming. desperation when nothing found will lead to further violence. So IF you survive it, sure, there's supplies to fall back on.

I went with a combination of going grey, stashing and displaying hard target.

The cats outa the bag, cant put it back, so I decided to make myself a very visible hard target until we actually move. Verbally and visible. AR's in full site going to the range every weekend for practice, 1000 rounds visible at purchase, Very frank talks with neighbors of training every weekend for long range and CQB training with vets and local sheriffs that have formed a network(Happens to be true).....Discussions of how(And this actually happened) a work associate stated to me "They don't need to prep, He'll just show up at my front door if SHTF...ha, ha, ha".....And how I told him very seriously I answered "If SHTF and anyone shows up at my door for anything that they will be met with the wrong end of a barrel by multiple Vets and myself...No one would be allowed in and no extra food will be available to leave and bodies on the lawn will help us deter the next door knocker."...........

This was stated to the nosey neighbor that often offers his un-asked opinion on the neighborhood goings-on in day to day conversations......I know my message got out when another prepped neighbor told me he heard about the conversation....lol......he also heard from same said neighbor that I had sold my stuff(Food) as I was in financial hardship...lol...another white lie.

Truth is, nothing short of moving will fix this....But, hard target ideology will deter all but the most desperate and if it comes to that, neighbors would be hit first(softer targets), and then they'll hit you after all others have been hit and they were going to hit you eventually anyways.....With enough time passing in a SHTF it's inevitable whether you're known as a prepper or not so better be prepped for that as well.

Anyone here can disagree but no one will state anything other than opinion since it's not happened yet in the US......This is the route I chose. It doesn't matter since the cats outa the bag and can never be put back in.

Best solution if you ever open your big fat mouth is to move....The only real security is to never open said mouth to begin with......
If you already have, like the dumb-asss that I was, broadcast :tank: :gunsmile: :gunshooting: :gunsmile: hard target :gunsmile: :gunshooting: :gunsmile: :tank: until you move.

We still wave to each other but the prepping jokes stopped immediately. ;)

my $.02

~D

You can have it both ways, but it is going to cost you! I am very open about storm preparation, have a large shelter, teach a local class, and am willing to help others get started.

The camp is never discussed with anyone, especially family. The master plan is simple. If things are not too bad I will stay and help everyone I can. Beyond that, I will walk away and let them have it.

Your first prep is yourself! Can you keep a secret and never tell anyone? Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby jimLE » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:30 pm

i kept my mouth shut from the get go.not only when it comes to neighbours.but when it comes to family as well..only person with in my family that knew.was my mom.but yet,that couldn't be helped.seeing how we lived under the same roof..but yet.i do wonder if she ever talked about it to family,while she was alive....i'm also not quick to trust anyone either..good thing for that to..on account it looks like to me.that some of my neighbours can't be trusted in the here n now,, even less in a worse case scenario...
jimLE

Postby NJMike » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:15 pm

I've been outed before. One situation was another Prepper, that I ran into in public, outing me in front of relatives who weren't clued in. I've also had my Ex-wife clue in some folks I wouldn't have.

Don't live where I used to now, so some of that is taken care of. The new neighbors are not aware. If SHTF in my current spot, I'm temporarily an island and I doubt those who do know I prep will get to my location, and they do not know entirely what I have.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Pedro wyoming » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:58 am

Cast Iron wrote:Idahobeef, first and foremost I have to inform you, your thread title immediately brought the Australian 80s rock band Men At Work and their song "It's a Mistake" to mind.

I am singing it now in my head.
Damn you.

I started suffering the same flashback as i was opening the thread. :shock:

idahobeef wrote:
Muwhahaha! I was listening to that very song when this subject occurred to me :)

Thanks ID Beef :cursing:

To the OP.....

idahobeef wrote:Instead of moving (which we have pondered), I WAS thinking of moving it all into a storage unit. Ours has brick walls, steel bars, and barbed wire at the top, so it'd be a great place to bug out too, haha. Plus they are very well insulated and air conditioned (we live in a desert), and have low access routes. I honestly dont think anyone will be looking for FOOD at a storage unit place. Well its cheapert than moving and I can rent a HUGE one for just $80, hehe. Thoughts? Comments?

I have worked with a few previously misguided folks (felons) on a few jobs over the years. A couple of them made a living from B&E on untended, open access storage lockers. Their success caused me to give pause to my practices doing such. Furthermore, a couple of years ago, a storage locker i rented suffered weather damage from high wind wherein the entire sheet metal building was ripped off the concrete foundation exposing everything i ,and others, had stored there. The goods were largely intact but exposed for all to see who had what for several hours. If yours is that well protected, it probably has video surveillance as well. That means the owner and his employees know what you have stored there.

I would suggest a remote location with a shipping container very well concealed. It need not be buried, rather looking like something it is not.

Also, you might want to read what FerFal wrote about the scavenging practices undertaken by the hungry masses when Argentina has it's economic crisis a couple of decades ago. In summary, he wrote that no road, street, or cattle trail was unventured. No house, shed or lot was left unsearched.

pW!
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Previous

Return to Washington Discussion, News and Weather