• Advertisement

Do we prepare to Live or just Survive?

Post General WV Topics Here

Re: Do we prepare to Live or just Survive?

Postby terrapin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:33 am

The H-Chihuahua wrote:Prepardness accomplishes peace of mind. And actualizing peace of mind is a treasure beyond riches. When your crude synthetic fuel plant powers your bunker's AC, lights, water, and radio while your spear-armed neighbors swelter and suffer in their grungy log cabin; you will have achieved peace of mind, too.

:glare:
:shakeno:
:crazy:
terrapin

Postby sageprice » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:09 pm

Massive stupidity is indistinguishable from out right malice. There are only 1% of US. Then there is 99% of the stupid. If you can not plan and survive then there is no use in planing. If you pan your survival you will also plan your recovery and your thriving in the new situation of what ever will come.. This is why I advocate not forming groups until after one year. There will be too many who will take advantage of you if you are soft hearted. Be tough but fair. Do not sacrifice your own survival. Read Linda Runyon's book. YOU CAN survive by foraging. Don't give TEACH. They won't like it but they proved Themselves to be stupid already. Don't fall into their world. :x :x
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby fren2ken » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:19 am

The answer to the question will vary according to who you ask. It is determined by what you believe the greatest threat is. I am sure that I am not alone in observing that the threats are fluid and the priority assigned to each one is ever changing. Unless you are rich, you cannot prepare for EVRYTHING at the same time. Once you establish your baseline preparations, you will concentrate on what you perceive as the greatest threat and work to overcome that situation first.

Once you have reached that point, it will be important to have a One Year Plan, a Five Year Plan, and then a "Forever" Plan. This will apply to each perceived threat and how you want to overcome it. I personally have come to the conclusion that one NEVER can be 100% ready for everything but, can only have the basics established with the flexibility to adapt them to as many situations as possible. No prep item should be single-purpose. All prep items must have multiple uses.

I believe that his philosophy will enable the accomplishment of both survival and life.
"Prepare for the worst, hope for the best"

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

If one doesn't learn from the Past, then they are sure to repeat it. Is that the way we want to go?
fren2ken
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby sageprice » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:28 pm

There is one common though in all your your posts. KNOWLEDGE is survival trait. Not gadgets but skill and knowledge. With these to survive to thrive.
sageprice

Postby Cast Iron » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:55 am

fren2ken wrote:The answer to the question will vary according to who you ask. It is determined by what you believe the greatest threat is. I am sure that I am not alone in observing that the threats are fluid and the priority assigned to each one is ever changing. Unless you are rich, you cannot prepare for EVRYTHING at the same time. Once you establish your baseline preparations, you will concentrate on what you perceive as the greatest threat and work to overcome that situation first.

Once you have reached that point, it will be important to have a One Year Plan, a Five Year Plan, and then a "Forever" Plan. This will apply to each perceived threat and how you want to overcome it. I personally have come to the conclusion that one NEVER can be 100% ready for everything but, can only have the basics established with the flexibility to adapt them to as many situations as possible. No prep item should be single-purpose. All prep items must have multiple uses.

I believe that his philosophy will enable the accomplishment of both survival and life.

After reading here and other sites, I have determined trying to prep for any and all contingencies is not practical.
The cost to benefit analysis of a 80% solution seems to be the most realistic.
And most of it fits in with the rural lifestyle out here.
Your suggestion of a One, Five and Forever plans coincide with farming life.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Defcon09 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:02 am

For me prepping to survive is key, with the intend to live. But that comes after surviving. For how long that takes would depend on your region.
Defcon09

Previous

Return to West Virginia Discussion, News and Weather