• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Building a underground Bunker

Post General WV Topics Here

Building a underground Bunker

Postby The Burlap Monster » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:07 am

Okay so I plan on moving to West virginia in the near future, I also would like to have a bunker, but along with building a house I will need to get certain building permits I'm guessing?

I'm wondering what kinda permits would I need to get to do such a thing if any at all, I seen some posts involving permits in WV and it seemed that it wasn't a big deal and people just left other people alone. I just wanna find out what I can legally do on land I would buy though.

Along with that I wanna live off the grid for the most part and also build my house out of shipping containers, you won't be able to tell they are containers though.

So if anyone has any advice let me know :)
"When you need help that second the police are only minutes away"
The Burlap Monster

Location: In the bush that seems to hard for a normal person to reach.

Re: Building a underground Bunker

Postby cellengrac » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:08 am

There was an article in Backwoods Home. It showed step by step directions on building an underground building. He used poured concrete and had a concrete roof covered with dirt and built a small tool shed to hide the entrance. If you can’t find it I will copy the article and send it in a PDF.
cellengrac

Postby Fullmoon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:31 pm

Check with your W.V. county building department for permit and building code rules and regulations. Most outbuildings do not require a building permit (in most states). If you pull a permit for an underground bunker everyone and his brother will know where its at, plus, you will have to get a set of engineered blueprints drawn up and passed by the county building inspector and get every phase of construction inspected. I have built many under ground and hillside structures and none had permits. A good site is a must, not a low point that will flood your bunker, and a good drain/perf pipe system around the outside of the structure to vent the rainwater is a must.
Fullmoon

Postby rickdun » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:21 am

West Virginia, like Pennsylvania are loaded with coal mines.

I have two friends that live in homes that were their parents homes, that have a house coal mine in the side wall of their basement, this was normal during the early 1900's thru the 1950's. I'm sure WV is the same, maybe look for a home that has one of these.

I helped them re-timber the roof for about 25 feet inwards. They use it as a root cellar + they have coal to dig to keep warm in the winter if the SHTF.

To the best of my knowledge, there are about 100 homes down town that have these house coal mines, but I think they blocked them off.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby The Burlap Monster » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:31 am

cellengrac wrote:There was an article in Backwoods Home. It showed step by step directions on building an underground building. He used poured concrete and had a concrete roof covered with dirt and built a small tool shed to hide the entrance. If you can’t find it I will copy the article and send it in a PDF.

Yeah I have seen videos on Youtube of that kinda thing, that's how I planned on building mine just with some added things. My post was mainly about the legal part about the whole bunker idea, I mean it would really suck if I spent a lot of money to build one and then somehow the state people or whoever found out about it, then made me remove it.

It's not like a right of mine that's protected by the constitution that I know of so it's not like I could fight back legally. If that was the case I would even ask Lol I would just build whatever.
The Burlap Monster

Postby The Burlap Monster » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:34 am

Fullmoon wrote:Check with your W.V. county building department for permit and building code rules and regulations. Most outbuildings do not require a building permit (in most states). If you pull a permit for an underground bunker everyone and his brother will know where its at, plus, you will have to get a set of engineered blueprints drawn up and passed by the county building inspector and get every phase of construction inspected. I have built many under ground and hillside structures and none had permits. A good site is a must, not a low point that will flood your bunker, and a good drain/perf pipe system around the outside of the structure to vent the rainwater is a must.

Yeah that sounds a lot like registering a firearm Lol, I think for my SHTF safety I will just build what I gotta build :tank: :floppytongue:

Thanks for the info on the draining part too I didn't think of that.
The Burlap Monster

Postby The Burlap Monster » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:40 am

rickdun wrote:West Virginia, like Pennsylvania are loaded with coal mines.

I have two friends that live in homes that were their parents homes, that have a house coal mine in the side wall of their basement, this was normal during the early 1900's thru the 1950's. I'm sure WV is the same, maybe look for a home that has one of these.

I helped them re-timber the roof for about 25 feet inwards. They use it as a root cellar + they have coal to dig to keep warm in the winter if the SHTF.

To the best of my knowledge, there are about 100 homes down town that have these house coal mines, but I think they blocked them off.

Wow that's awesome! :)

The only thing I would worry about is if it catches on fire, those things are like gateways to hell then. Like I had seen that one city in PA where the roads melted and had cracks in them, trees killed from the roots and all that kinda stuff from a coal mine fire.

I would love to have a mine for the coal in SHTF but I would worry about the house if a fire started.
The Burlap Monster

Postby rickdun » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:42 am

The Burlap Monster wrote:
rickdun wrote:West Virginia, like Pennsylvania are loaded with coal mines.

Wow that's awesome! :)

The only thing I would worry about is if it catches on fire, those things are like gateways to hell then. Like I had seen that one city in PA where the roads melted and had cracks in them, trees killed from the roots and all that kinda stuff from a coal mine fire.

I would love to have a mine for the coal in SHTF but I would worry about the house if a fire started.

Life is full of risks. The fire you're talking about is the only fire that wasn't extinguished in state history. Coal mines have been in Pennsylvania for hundreds of years.

Look at it this way, how many house fires are there each year in the U.S. and how many coal mine fires are there. There is no comparison other than there, of course, more houses than coal mines.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:42 am

interesting little posting .... watch where you cache things ....

https://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=46208473
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Return to West Virginia Discussion, News and Weather