• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Our Safe Spot

Post General WV Topics Here

Our Safe Spot

Postby olgoat » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:15 am

When I retired from the Navy some years ago we came to West Virginia because we felt the world was going to hell soon. At that time we never even heard the term "Prepper" but that's what we were.
We own fifty acres surrounded by several thousand acres of prime timberland, not far from the New River Gorge National Park.
We bought a used house trailer and moved onto our property. From there we bought a sawmill and began cutting timber from our property. With just me and my wife doing all the work, we eventually moved into our log home (owing $300 on a credit card on the day we moved in).
Since then we have built a barn, purchased hand tools, seeds, food and medical supplies, guns and ammo, livestock and a very big dog.
We formed a group of family and friends (thirty of us to date) and continued prepping.
Currently we have enough supplies to last us over a year with no outside assistance from anybody. One of our members, Mike, is a former Seal and his wife was a medic for a Seal Team in Afganistan and now a RN.
Mike teaches combat training under contract to the military and has stored twelve M-16s and twelve 9mm pistols here at our safe place (all legally purchased).
Half of our group are children and teens. We are teaching them everything they'll need to know to survive in a post SHTF society.
We aren't fanatics or doomsayers but we believe in preparing for anything that is survivable just because the world is getting to be a more dangerous place. We aren't building bunkers because we don't want to live in a world where that's necessary. We don't even care about prophecy because prophecy is so vague.
What we care about is giving the children a fighting chance if things go to hell.
olgoat

Re: Our Safe Spot

Postby Onegreenguy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:45 pm

olgoat wrote:What we care about is giving the children a fighting chance if things go to hell.

And that's why I prep!
"The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to its close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences."

-Winston Churchill's oft-quoted warning on the eve of World War II
Onegreenguy
Tennessee State Moderator
Tennessee State Moderator

Postby gannett » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:15 am

olgoat wrote:When I retired from the Navy some years ago we came to West Virginia because we felt the world was going to hell soon. At that time we never even heard the term "Prepper" but that's what we were.
We own fifty acres surrounded by several thousand acres of prime timberland, not far from the New River Gorge National Park.
We bought a used house trailer and moved onto our property. From there we bought a sawmill and began cutting timber from our property. With just me and my wife doing all the work, we eventually moved into our log home (owing $300 on a credit card on the day we moved in).
Since then we have built a barn, purchased hand tools, seeds, food and medical supplies, guns and ammo, livestock and a very big dog.
We formed a group of family and friends (thirty of us to date) and continued prepping.
Currently we have enough supplies to last us over a year with no outside assistance from anybody. One of our members, Mike, is a former Seal and his wife was a medic for a Seal Team in Afganistan and now a RN.
Mike teaches combat training under contract to the military and has stored twelve M-16s and twelve 9mm pistols here at our safe place (all legally purchased).
Half of our group are children and teens. We are teaching them everything they'll need to know to survive in a post SHTF society.
We aren't fanatics or doomsayers but we believe in preparing for anything that is survivable just because the world is getting to be a more dangerous place. We aren't building bunkers because we don't want to live in a world where that's necessary. We don't even care about prophecy because prophecy is so vague.
What we care about is giving the children a fighting chance if things go to hell.

It sounds like you have the perfect set up! Also, the nurse should train a couple more people so that if something happens to her, she will have back up!
gannett

Postby olgoat » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:44 pm

Yeah, we've discussed that gannett along with every other skill we have. Crosstraining is the best way to keep from losing valuable information.
We also purchased some medical manuals from the hesperian foundation. They cover most common medical problems that anyone who reads can understand including midwifery and dental.
The books don't cost much and some are free. Well worth taking a look, they have a website.
olgoat

Postby dale » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:59 am

Im not far from you, My son and I have been prepping for some time.. We built an off grid home and have moved in, we call it our safe place but really I call it the cheap place, no bills at all when bought it one stick and wire at a time. We really love our life out here. off the grid.
dale

Postby WyoDutch » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:08 am

Sounds like you'll be okay until Washington runs out of money and stops mailing-out social security and federal retirement checks. :?

Lots of people jumping on the bandwagon and attacking people like you who put their time in, in exchange for the promise of a retirement.

You know times are bad in America when GW Bush's presidency starts looking good..
WyoDutch
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby olgoat » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:17 am

You're absolutely richt wyodutch and I expect that to happen at any time. The Treasury Secretary said last month that military retirement and social security were both "compassionate handouts that the country can no longer afford".
My retirement wasn't a promise though, I signed a contract when I enlisted. Turns out that contract was useless because our benefits keep getting whittled down. They promised medical "for life" but as it turns out, I have to pay for it now.
olgoat

Postby ktm rider » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:17 am

My place is very simular to yours. I live right acrossed the state line from you in garrett county md. I am totally surrounded by state forest and own 76 acres of paradise. Our preps sound just about on par with yours, except there are only four of us. Heck, we also have a log home too...

One thing I found that would be of great advantage is a powersource to allow total offgrid living if need be. being able to charge batteries and just have the luxury of electricity would be a great moral boost if it all went south. If you are in access of a mountain stream you could make a boatload of power with micro hydro www.microhydro.com.
My stream will allow me to totally power y home and garage by producing over 600KwH per month. since you are in the same general region as I am, you most likely ill have access to a stream also... just a thought.

Like i told my wife, we may not need any of this but i would be willing to bet our kids will need it one day...... like other posters have said, that is also why I prep.
ktm rider

Postby olgoat » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:59 pm

We appreciate the suggestion ktm rider but have decided to skip the luxury of electricity if the SHTF. Electricity would draw unwanted attention to our location from people we would prefer to avoid.
We discussed it at length and it still comes up during our gatherings occasionally. Power would be nice but we feel that we can get along just fine without it, our great grandparents did.
The same goes for gas powered vehicles and equipment. Anything that draws attention would just put us in danger from those who don't prep.
After the event there will be a lot of desperate people out there with hungry kids willing to do anything. Good people will become "not so good" and bad people will become dangerous.
If they see a light on at your house, they'll come.
I expect that things will settle down after a time and electricity would be nice to have but not during the transistion time when there will be so many desperate people on the road looking for refuge.
Good luck to you and keep prepping.
olgoat

Postby ktm rider » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:34 pm

olgoat wrote:We appreciate the suggestion ktm rider but have decided to skip the luxury of electricity if the SHTF. Electricity would draw unwanted attention to our location from people we would prefer to avoid.
We discussed it at length and it still comes up during our gatherings occasionally. Power would be nice but we feel that we can get along just fine without it, our great grandparents did.
The same goes for gas powered vehicles and equipment. Anything that draws attention would just put us in danger from those who don't prep.
After the event there will be a lot of desperate people out there with hungry kids willing to do anything. Good people will become "not so good" and bad people will become dangerous.
If they see a light on at your house, they'll come.
I expect that things will settle down after a time and electricity would be nice to have but not during the transistion time when there will be so many desperate people on the road looking for refuge.
Good luck to you and keep prepping.

I understand completely olgoat.
I was under the impression you were back in the sticks where no one can see your house. I could almost launch a space shuttle and no one would notice..
I kinda look at electricity as an advantage when it all goes south but if it would be a hinderence then it wouldn't be worth it.
ktm rider

Postby dale » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:49 pm

What are you doing for clean water, I have a lake and pump water to the house for showers and general house hold cleaning... I bought a water filtration device to make drinking water but am looking for other ideas if anyone has some imput.
dale

Postby alice » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:44 am

Greetings have been on survival blog without getting any results of finding fellow preppers in Preston County WV. Lived in Garret County years ago and moved to these mountains. We really hope and pray to find 4 to 5 other families that want to purchase 5 acres from us to properly set up a Christian Prepper community. Safety in numbers. We have 100 acres with springs, couple ponds really large barn that only houses two horses right now. We have chickens and hope to add a bee hive and turkeys this spring. We are big gardeners and have a good sized garden here that we are still fixing the soils. PLanted over 30 fruit trees and are blessed with a lot of berries on the grounds "(let alone all the animals) We have dogs to help protect, cats to keep the disease spreading rodents to a minimal, and as stated a couple of horses. We have a good set of food-always adding to this.
I have 4 children that I homeschool that range in ages 14 to 5. They are being brought up knowing how to do things, and knowing the meaning or work. We have medical supplies, meds, gas-basically for chain saws. Our idea is again to find 4 to 5 families that would want to put up some structure for themselves that blends with the area, but to get a green house, more fencing and possibly alternative power although I do agree with learning to live without or not much in excess. This would not be a cheap investment.....after all this is our future. Good luck to everyone!
alice

Postby olgoat » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:57 pm

Yes ktm ryder we are back in the sticks but not far from a paved road that connects to an interstate highway just five miles away. If the roads fill with refugees, we're sure some will make it this far and want to remain inconspicuous.
I did look at that website with the hydro generators and will mention it at our next gathering. Electricity would be nice after the transition time, maybe three months after the SHTF event.
I'm sure you understand the need for security after an event. We just don't want to draw any unwanted attention.
We figure it will take about three months for things to settle down. The ones who don't prep will either starve, die of thirst or kill each other off by then.
I do appreciate your suggestion and your concern for others on this forum. That's why we come here.
olgoat

Postby Airgunner » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Electricity: Olgoat think about something you had at sea - light lockers. Z shaped passegway openings to the outside. You can illuminate them with little red lights tucked into the corners. Blackout curtains on windows.

If I was looking for a place to run and I was a big city boy, I'd be looking at towns. But as a country boy, I'd be looking for dirt and gravel roads/ATV paths, etc. Since they're going to come anyway...

BTW, Huey with an IR scanner would find you with or w/o electric.

pm me or e-mail me as I discussed shipmate. I'm only about 25 miles away from you. If you go to VAMC on any wed, we probably already know each other.

Airgunner
[b][color=#4000FF]Airgunner[/color][/b]

[color=#FF0000][i]"Windage and Elevation, Ma'am, Windage and Elevation" (John Wayne)[/i][/color]
Airgunner

Postby olgoat » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:53 pm

Thanks for the comeback Gunner and I understand what you're saying. We can't worry about everything though and we've decided that we can do without electricity.
With shelter, food, water, seeds and a means of self defense we just aren't going to worry about much else.
Good luck with your prepping and I'll see you soon.
olgoat

Next

Return to West Virginia Discussion, News and Weather