• Advertisement

looking to form a serious group

Welcome! Introduce Yourself Here.

looking to form a serious group

Postby hancockcounty » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:49 pm

Seens like there is not a lot of activity here but...here goes

We (family of 4 myself36/wife35/son13/son6) are located in Maine. We live on private 30 acres on a long dead end dirt road. I believe that my property would be very defensible in SHTF with the right people. We are currently doing many advanced preps :nuke: that i will not go into. :ninja: We have a field started for garden/pasture approx 4 acres. We have a large barn. Starting to raise meat rabbits and chickens and will get goats in the spring. We are also doing other medium scale things to our property to help with agricultural production and self sufficiency. I think that it is important to be well rounded in my preps by having quality tactical gear, arms, ammo, :gunsmile: ect. and important items to be able to charge batteries and other misc things like doing laundry, along with stocking up on other important items like food, canning supplies, tools for cutting fire wood ect. But all in all none of it will amount to anything if I do not have two things in place… one being our ability to grow, raise, and preserve our own food and the other defending what we have at SHTF.

Currently we plan to have one other family join us when everything falls apart. We are in need of someone with real tactical combat experience. I’m not talking about someone who has been through boot camp and never deployed. I am hoping to find an experienced military man that can train with us regularly before shtf and also help plan for strategic defenses of the property. Also a medic would always be needed. Aside from that I honestly think that some other local friends that i know that are prepping would be just fine if we needed more bodies. All in all we are very well rounded. We make our own soap. Can fix vehicles, tinker, do carpentry, farm, ect. I plan to have 4+/- families at our retreat after shtf.

Some basic requirements I would have would be regular biweekly/monthly training meetings, maintaining a years+ supply of food, byo AR-15 with ammo. Always would welcome help ‘on the farm’ if you can make the time. Heck i have 4 acres to plant so you could help and harvest and EAT too. I am not doing this to make a living, just want to learn to walk the walk the hard way before it is a necessity. If qualified and relocating i would be willing to rent our other house out to you. We are not looking for any free loaders before or after shtf. Everyone must carry there own weight after shtf and before… well if we don’t work we don’t eat. I would assume you would have or find a normal job ect.

Both families are genuine bible believing born again christians. Although i myself and very much against the tide of modern day christianity and have only recently tried to start to go to church. I have been a believer for 17 years and have a strong faith in Jesus and a very fluent bible knowledge. Well, I’ve probably said too much about my plans, but i am hopeful that it will help bring forth some people who have some serious skill to join us. (open to those with different skill sets also as long as you are physically able and trustworthy type people)

Oh, if you already live in Maine and want to plan to bug out with us that could work too as long as we still would hold regular meeting/training schedule. Hopefully if nothing else this leads to a life long friendship.
hancockcounty

Re: looking to form a serious group

Postby Photon Guy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:50 pm

I would like to join your group but Im a bit too far away. If you want good weapons training a combat veteran who has seen action could help you out but even better would be to go to a good shooting school and I would recommend Front Sight in Nevada. Some of the instructors there are experienced combat veterans and they teach you above and beyond what is taught to the standard soldier. In one of the classes I took there one of the fellows in my class had been a marine for many years and he said that what he learned in class was more in depth than anything he learned in the Marines. They teach 2 day and 4 day classes and people come from all over the country to take classes there and its not unusual to find people from Canada there too. So, if you want to look into Front Sight I can help you out.
Photon Guy

Postby Scoutmaster » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:02 am

I wish you all the luck in the world, and hope you don't have the same problem that seems to be prevalent in so many other locations around the US. It always starts out strong when it is just Ideas and talk. When it gets to the actuality of meetings training and the big one putting out cash, even if it is just for them and their family. I tried for many years here in Michigan. It looks like the new "Meet up groups" that seem to be taking hold is the way most go now. it is kind like a non-committal bunch of people to the same Idea. But not really willing to put it on the front burner and do it. I guess it is a lot of fun, lots of social interaction lots of fun getting together but very little commitment. I know one person that has been into doing that for almost five years. They have been to over 100 training classes seminars and events.

sad part is they are still unable to build a fire in the natural surroundings. Now I am not talking flint and steel I am talking with a book of matches or a lighter. In order to build a fire they need fire starters liquids to get a pile of sticks to burn inside of a wood stove. Instead they chose to plug in the electric heater. I wonder how that would have worked if it had been an event and the grid was gone for a year or two. It really does not say much for that kind of training. It is very scary to me how far the bar has been lowered My fear is when the time comes we need the Self-Sufficiency it will be well behind most people that think they have it down.

Best of luck you guys have a bit more rugged country up that way, hope it helps develop a more solid group of prepers.
I have been at this for 30 years, My suggestion would be find people you have known for years, and have interest in preping. Ones that you know will actually go forward. then you all together get together and do the training as the post above says than you know what you have and will be able to feel they have your back. Not go by just what they think they know, and find out the hard way it not just talk.
PREPPERS SAVE THE EXCUSES, IT'S NOT ABOUT HAVING TIME, IT'S ABOUT MAKING TIME, IF IT MATTERS YOU WILL HAVE TIME
Every one has priorities, different for each of us, main reasons most of us can not form a group that will last our priorities are all different so are you. REMEMBER, IF YOUR PREP PRIORITIES ARE LOWER THEN THE PEOPLE YOU CAN'T WORK WITH, THEY MIGHT MAKE IT AND YOU WON'T, DON'T BLAME THEM FOR NOT OFFERING YOU HELP LATER, WHEN YOU FAIL LATER AND YOUR IN TROUBLE. BLAME YOUR PRIORITIES.
Scoutmaster
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby ventruecrew » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:35 am

It's like that here in Ohio too I wonder if it spilled over from your state LOL
A very smart Preper once told me: No truer words where ever spoken

You can show a person what is out there that can be achieved.
You can show them how to get there.
But you can not make them follow.
If you try to make them follow.
They will resist even harder.
ventruecrew

Postby hancockcounty » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:57 pm

Thanks everyone.

That's really sad. I don't think that people realize how important it is to be diligent in times of peace. We have lost so many skill since the times of the great depression. And it will take a long time to learn them back.
I thought about contacting my neighbors, but i think that the chances are the interest won't be there. Know that sounds like a defeated mindset. That is why i posted here.
hancockcounty

Postby Scoutmaster » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:48 am

I know that feeling I have felt it for a long time, I was able to hand pick a few people but it took 25 years. Every time I thought I had found another person something would come up and it would not work out. It seems that us prepers have very specific Ideas and thoughts and are not willing to bend, that includes myself as much as any one, when I look back but I think I have bent more than most do or are willing too.

I have talked to professionals, they tell me groups are breaking up all over the country because of bickering between each other. I have checked in and been active on the so call preper forms over the 25 years at least a dozen of them, even spent a year or so joined two so called preper Meet-up groups looking for those really interested. At one point there was 150 members in one it was free to join. then the membership went to $10.00 a year to cover meeting places and goodies at the meetings the membership droped to 10 or 12 people the next year that pretty much tells you the story.

There is another free one that I joined that has 350 members but 99% have not even been to the webpage( it keeps track) with in six months many over a year or two. The one percent just use it to go to the social meetings they have around the state. There are no meetings with in the group itself. Please don't get me wrong I am just laying this out to save you time frustration and money in trying things that most of us have already tried for years. If all of us could unite and where willing to put the work in it would be a really great thing.

I wish I could give you other suggestions. There is so much BS out there now, I don't want to add anything to it. my thoughts lately are as I posted above if they are prepers they have already found a home. Are dug in not talking. The rest some where between thinking they are preping; to beleaving the government will take care of them. I wish I could make suggestions But I have run out. it is like a scavenger hunt keep looking I bet you will find some one you already know is a closet preper and just has not told anyone.

Good luck

Not trying to make things worse But I just thought of something I had forgotten. I know of a set up here with in my state that is very much like you describe you want to put together. The guy has been struggling for years to keep his place staffed. All he ask is for people to have their own food and gear( much like everyone he has a must have list). The sticking point seems to be getting commitment to do any training have meetings get together s and refine the group as would be needed if it is to work. He seems to be getting the same blow back as the rest of us. They don't have the time to attend, or the money or the will to put forth the work.it takes to put into a working group. They say we will be taken from with in and it seems to be working. :? :?
PREPPERS SAVE THE EXCUSES, IT'S NOT ABOUT HAVING TIME, IT'S ABOUT MAKING TIME, IF IT MATTERS YOU WILL HAVE TIME
Every one has priorities, different for each of us, main reasons most of us can not form a group that will last our priorities are all different so are you. REMEMBER, IF YOUR PREP PRIORITIES ARE LOWER THEN THE PEOPLE YOU CAN'T WORK WITH, THEY MIGHT MAKE IT AND YOU WON'T, DON'T BLAME THEM FOR NOT OFFERING YOU HELP LATER, WHEN YOU FAIL LATER AND YOUR IN TROUBLE. BLAME YOUR PRIORITIES.
Scoutmaster

Postby Photon Guy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:16 am

Scoutmaster wrote:sad part is they are still unable to build a fire in the natural surroundings. Now I am not talking flint and steel I am talking with a book of matches or a lighter. In order to build a fire they need fire starters liquids to get a pile of sticks to burn inside of a wood stove. Instead they chose to plug in the electric heater. I wonder how that would have worked if it had been an event and the grid was gone for a year or two. It really does not say much for that kind of training. It is very scary to me how far the bar has been lowered My fear is when the time comes we need the Self-Sufficiency it will be well behind most people that think they have it down.

What a bummer. I learned how to start a fire using a bow drill made from materials found out in the woods. Learned it in an outdoor survival class but that was decades ago. I will have to brush up on the skill.
Photon Guy

Postby Scoutmaster » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:04 am

I did too and we use to teach it in the boy scouts, But that was years ago. some of them could make a fire as quick with flint and steel as most do with matches. But the so called preper had a book of matches and a wood stove, and still used a electric heater. They have been to almost 100 training meetings but still can't build a fire.

It has been going down hill for years. 20 years ago when I was a Scoutmaster in the scouts I use to get pressure from the parents. Because I was not willing to give their kid credit for a camping trip when they would come on Friday night set up a tent then go to band camp some place or football game across the state and come back on Sunday night and take the tent down.

They wanted me to sign off on there kid camping for the weekend, and the actives we tough and was to learn. As time went on it got bad. Both of my boys made eagle scout the hard way, Probably harder than needed be because I was involved, they hated me for it then but have thanked me many times scene then. We bowed out when they both hit the magic 18 years old. Started a venture group and had a ball.

Now the kids go to camperees and the adults pull Gas grills out of the scout trailers and do all the cooking for them. They say it is to dangerous for them to do it they might get burned. Our guys used to cook over open fires and had to feed themselves and one of the adult staff in order to get their cooking patch signed off. Near the end we missed many camperees because they would not allow ground fires. We did not even have cook stoves with in the troop. Can you beleave that No ground fires at a boy scout event :surrender: :surrender:

Now the kids do their eagle projects by having their fathers construction company come in a do a project while the kid stands there and watch and hand the construction workers shovels and rakes. Feed than sandwiches at lunch. and we wonder why things have gone to pot.

20 years ago we had a kid replace a bridge over a small creek as a project. He had to design the bridge in drafting class, get it approved by a local engineering company, do a fund raiser to buy the material, then cut it and fit it together according the specs on his drafting. Than take it to the site reassemble it over the creek and get it checked by one of the engineering company people to make sure it was to spects. what a difference in 20 years. Now they just have some company volunteer to build it. And we wonder what has happened.

We really do not need to look very far to find the answers to a lot of questions.
Scoutmaster

Postby Photon Guy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:24 am

Scoutmaster wrote:I did too and we use to teach it in the boy scouts, But that was years ago. some of them could make a fire as quick with flint and steel as most do with matches. But the so called preper had a book of matches and a wood stove, and still used a electric heater. They have been to almost 100 training meetings but still can't build a fire.

Well how about starting a fire when you don't even have flint and steel? I took an outdoor survival class where you learn how to make a fire using only the stuff you find in the woods. You learn how to make a bow drill using sticks and cordage that you make from plant material and then you learn how to use it to make a fire. Some of the stuff you would do would make boy scouts look like kindergarten.

Scoutmaster wrote:It has been going down hill for years. 20 years ago when I was a Scoutmaster in the scouts I use to get pressure from the parents. Because I was not willing to give their kid credit for a camping trip when they would come on Friday night set up a tent then go to band camp some place or football game across the state and come back on Sunday night and take the tent down.

Well good. If somebody just puts up a tent on Friday, goes somewhere else, and then comes back and takes the tent down on Sunday that's cheating and you shouldn't give them credit for that. There was none of that when I was in boy scouts although there was a fellow in my troop who brought a portable television on a camping trip which if you ask me is cheating too, although to a lesser degree.

Scoutmaster wrote:They wanted me to sign off on there kid camping for the weekend, and the actives we tough and was to learn. As time went on it got bad. Both of my boys made eagle scout the hard way, Probably harder than needed be because I was involved, they hated me for it then but have thanked me many times scene then. We bowed out when they both hit the magic 18 years old. Started a venture group and had a ball.

If they hated you for it at the time, did they not want a challenge back then? I've always wanted a challenge and wanted to earn stuff the hard way instead of having it handed to me the easy way. If they did make eagle though that is quite an accomplishment. If you do make it to eagle its really great. I never did make it to eagle. The furthest I got was star.

Scoutmaster wrote:Now the kids go to camperees and the adults pull Gas grills out of the scout trailers and do all the cooking for them. They say it is to dangerous for them to do it they might get burned. Our guys used to cook over open fires and had to feed themselves and one of the adult staff in order to get their cooking patch signed off. Near the end we missed many camperees because they would not allow ground fires. We did not even have cook stoves with in the troop. Can you beleave that No ground fires at a boy scout event :surrender: :surrender:

Now the kids do their eagle projects by having their fathers construction company come in a do a project while the kid stands there and watch and hand the construction workers shovels and rakes. Feed than sandwiches at lunch. and we wonder why things have gone to pot.

20 years ago we had a kid replace a bridge over a small creek as a project. He had to design the bridge in drafting class, get it approved by a local engineering company, do a fund raiser to buy the material, then cut it and fit it together according the specs on his drafting. Than take it to the site reassemble it over the creek and get it checked by one of the engineering company people to make sure it was to spects. what a difference in 20 years. Now they just have some company volunteer to build it. And we wonder what has happened.

We really do not need to look very far to find the answers to a lot of questions.

Sheesh it really has gone downhill. When I was in boy scouts we did cook over open fires and I don't know of anybody who got their eagle badge by having somebody else, their dad or otherwise, do the work for them. If you made it to eagle you did so legitimately, that's how it was in my troop and that's how it was back in the day when I was in boy scouts. Now from what I heard they don't even shoot guns anymore in boy scouts. When I went to my first boy scout camp at the age of 11 I got to shoot a gun for the first time, a .22 rifle and at the time it was an awesome experience although by now I've moved on to much bigger guns.

Anyway, if the modern day boy scouts want a real challenge they should go to the outdoor survival school I went to although as I said it can make boy scouts look like Kindergarten, even the boy scouts back in the day before it got soft.
Photon Guy

Postby theoutback » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:11 am

hancockcounty wrote:Thanks everyone.

That's really sad. I don't think that people realize how important it is to be diligent in times of peace. We have lost so many skill since the times of the great depression. And it will take a long time to learn them back.
I thought about contacting my neighbors, but i think that the chances are the interest won't be there. Know that sounds like a defeated mindset. That is why i posted here.

You have the ball rolling HC, keep at it. Nt a ton of people over there, so it may take some time to get some people together. Not a bad thing that you are in a rural area though. Sent you a PM.

Good luck!
theoutback

Postby Scoutmaster » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:42 am

Photon Guy
You and I where raised by people that beleave right was right and wrong was wrong, There is no gray area. Even back then my boys did not understand why I pushed them so hard. Made sure they did it the right way by the book with even a little extra. It was very gratifying that they both have told me many times scene then they now understand.

They where confused when I told them how things would turn out for a few of the specific problem kids that displayed many dark and evil sides and their parents supported that action. They tried to lead the whole troop in that direction. I even threw one of them out of the troop. He tried to lead a group of the boys in the theft of another troops property and destroy it, I got wind of it before it was completed then he refused to return it and make right for what they had done. The rest of them did that I gave him the choice, he refused so I felt I had no choice. ( not really sure I had the authority to do that) But no one questioned it. And a very few years later it turned out I was correct. I just hope and pray that every one here and everywhere had done enough to keep themselves safe. Buckle up it will be a rough ride.
Scoutmaster

Return to Check In Here Maine Preppers