• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Maine Preppers Roll Call 03/06/11

Welcome! Introduce Yourself Here.

Re: Maine Preppers Roll Call 03/06/11

Postby maineprepperdad » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:21 am

Greetings fellow preppers!

My wife, my daughter and I have been living in Maine since 2003 and love it! We moved here from Memphis and this is a much better place for a prepper to call home! We have always valued self-sufficiency and continue to work towards that. We have well water and a septic tank so we aren't dependent on public utilities for that. I have two large gardens that produce more food than we can eat, freeze or give away most years. We have a flock of egg layers, we raise meat chickens, Muscovy ducks and sheep. We have prepper friends that raise cows and pork that we barter with. Most of my prep efforts are focused on the high probability-low impact disasters such as winter storms, unemployment, temporary market disruptions and the like. We do have bug out bags but 98% of the time we will wind up bugging in. We are rural, on high ground, not near any industrial or military target and safe from wildfire. For long term SHTF kind of stuff I try to put away the stuff I would need if I had to live off the land - lots of salt, cooking oil, matches & lighters, 22LR ammo, figuring out where the fish hang out in the lake across from us.

I would love to hear from fellow Maine preppers as to what works for them and what doesn't in this climate. I can't seem to grow decent peppers up here!
maineprepperdad

Postby ranger58 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:19 pm

hello,
I have farmed in maine most of my life, I'll give you a few hint's on peppers, they like hot dry weather, and they like there feet dry, do not over feed them. when they blossom, keep them damp so the blossems dont fall off but do not over water. when they start to set furit water the base of the plant early in the day. feed them a little at a time and it will help if you grow them in tunnels (under plastic ) this will help by keeping the heat in . you will have to watch them on hot days and open the tunnels so they do not over heat. I like to grow mine on raised beds with black or green plastic mulch and water with drip tape then I can feed them throught the drip tape... good luck and have a nice day....Ranger
ranger58

Postby houseinahill » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:41 am

Waldo County prepper here. My name is John and I'm in the process of building an off-grid home. Very interested in meeting nearby preppers.

A little about what I'm doing:
-Self-built house
-Partially earth-bermed house (with most windows facing south)
-House has indoor, hand-pumped well that feeds head-tank in attic (for gravity-fed running water throughout house)
-Heating/cooking with wood stove
-Large root cellar (walk-in from kitchen), plan on segregating a corner of it for experimenting with an ice-house
-Humanure toilets inside (as well as outhouse)
-Propane water heater, coupled with HW coil in woodstove

Once the house is done, we'll jump right into getting garden beds established and planting fruit trees/shrubs.
Many plans for defensive landscaping and pre-establishing subtle, effective homestead defensive measures.
Would like to start a local prepper group for pooling skills & resources.
houseinahill

Postby darksmith » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:02 am

Hello everyone,

My name is Jay and I live in Oxford County. I'm recently becoming interested in prepping, as I see the chance that things may get ugly in the next 2 to 30 years as increasingly high, and want my family to be one of the families that is all set, and not one of the families that's trying to buy groceries and flashlights WTSHTF.

I'm currently preparing a move from one of the more urban areas of Oxford County (if that usage is not an oxymoron, which it may be) to a moral rural "village"-style setting, which will allow us to be more community-oriented, more flexible and resilient, have land to tend a garden and keep some livestock, and generally be a little more tucked away. I am reading and learning everything I can, and getting my financial house in order so I can begin serious food storage and prepping in the coming weeks and months.

I look forward to talking to you folks more. Any ideas you have, I'd love to hear them, and any help you need, I'd be happy to offer it.

Jay
(Dark Smith)
darksmith

Postby ifuwant2live » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Hey, definitely thinking there are problems in our world that is going to make it harder to live. I live in Augusta area, have a couple buildings on a quiet lake in eastern Maine. Would like to build a hardened structure if anyone has the know how i can do the digging.
ifuwant2live

Postby ChiliLily » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:03 pm

Been prepping for a couple of years. We bought property in far northern Aroostook county last year and just got our cabin built. We still have to do the inside, but will take care of that in spring.

I do a lot of my internet hanging out at another forum, and due to the fact that this one was so slow, I have neglected coming here. I'll have to change that, I guess.

Looking for other people in Maine -- and an emphasis on Aroostook County -- to discuss this stuff with.
ChiliLily

Postby born2hunt2 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:48 pm

Any preppers in southern Maine?
born2hunt2

Postby islandchik » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:05 am

ChiliLily, which other forum? Active Mainers there?
He who does not economize will have to agonize. ~ Confucius
islandchik
Maine Preppers Network
Maine Preppers Network

Postby RGRA » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:43 pm

Yes, Just getting started. We are in the Lisbon AO.
RGRA

Postby tomatogal » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:28 pm

Sharon here -- First time posting here, but glad to know this group exists. In Knox county, hoping to move inland before TSHTF. Meanwhile, stock-piling open-pollunated seeds, getting a pressure canner, shopping for more firearms.
Am getting scared off by prices of supplies to help us prep, but know that we can survive most things here in the North. Most of us grew up with making do and doing without--hopefully we can share what we do know with folks that truly want to learn. I can share my gardening and canning knowledge --seed starting isn't hard, you just have to plan a little (kinda like the rest of Prepping).
tomatogal

Postby bbryder » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:40 pm

hello sharon my name is lisa and im new to this site and to prepping and really could use some help because of all the prices going up so high i think it time before tshtf. i might never fine this page again so if u can help me please write me at bbryder659659@yahoo.com i would like to learn about canning things good seeds i should buy food shelf life any ideas would really help me...thank you. lisa outside of bangor
bbryder

Postby pioneer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:40 pm

Hi everyone,
We are near Augusta. Its interesting how we got into prepping. It started last Sept while moose hunting. I decided to find some land, even though funds are low. I began by looking in the Aroostook area, but eventually found some north of Bangor that is off grid. Next, my plans this spring is to start building a 2 bedroom cabin (594 sq ft). We have bought our seeds for gardening, started our pantry, and getting water purifiers. We are looking into making candles, soap, and pressure canning. The most important thing we are doing in our lives is learning to live simple. We want to learn to live the old ways. We go one day at a time, and do lots of reading on prepping. Looking to learn from others, and to be connected through a network. I'm really glad my wife found this network forum.

Blessings to all.
Randy
pioneer

Postby islandchik » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:23 pm

tomatogal wrote:Sharon here -- First time posting here, but glad to know this group exists. In Knox county, hoping to move inland before TSHTF. Meanwhile, stock-piling open-pollunated seeds, getting a pressure canner, shopping for more firearms.
Am getting scared off by prices of supplies to help us prep, but know that we can survive most things here in the North. Most of us grew up with making do and doing without--hopefully we can share what we do know with folks that truly want to learn. I can share my gardening and canning knowledge --seed starting isn't hard, you just have to plan a little (kinda like the rest of Prepping).

Welcome. I'm trying to get a group meeting together in a week or two in Bangor or Augusta. Interested?
islandchik
Maine Preppers Network
Maine Preppers Network

Postby shaolinmama » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:47 am

Knox county here. Brand new to this. Just started researching. Mainly want to find the safest and cheapest ways to preserve and store food. Are there any places in Maine that sell dehydrated foods in bulk for a good price? I've already tried looking online but my child has a severe peanut allergy and is also allergic to eggs. So it's hard to find anything that guarantees no traces of peanut and egg.
shaolinmama

Postby islandchik » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:40 am

shaolinmama wrote:Knox county here. Brand new to this. Just started researching. Mainly want to find the safest and cheapest ways to preserve and store food. Are there any places in Maine that sell dehydrated foods in bulk for a good price? I've already tried looking online but my child has a severe peanut allergy and is also allergic to eggs. So it's hard to find anything that guarantees no traces of peanut and egg.

Hi there and welcome. I personally, don't know of any places in Maine which sell what I think you're looking for. Have you considered getting a dehydrator and doing it yourself at home?
islandchik
Maine Preppers Network
Maine Preppers Network

PreviousNext

Return to Check In Here Maine Preppers