• Advertisement

Three Part Aquaponics Series - Free or cheap - hands on!

Post Ohio meetups and events here

Moderators: Ed the Pilgrim, Hiker72, Steve

Three Part Aquaponics Series - Free or cheap - hands on!

Postby maustypsu » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:01 pm

Last year I successfully grew and enjoyed lettuces, string beans, cucumbers and more from a small aquaponics set up fueled by 4 gold fish and less than 5 gallons of water. This year I plan to expand. I am willing to do a series of demo's at my home for those interested.
First would be "the build" - I would explain the fundamentals and we would build an actual working unit from readily available parts.
Next would be the first planting - I would include how I monitored and adjusted the water to the ideal levels of bacteria and how I will rotate and harvest.
Finally, we'd schedule a tasting for when enough veggies come in for us to make salads - I'd share my experiences from the planting to the harvesting, including rotating, what plants I have harvested, removed b/c of poor health, etc.

If there was enough interest, I would keep a journal throughout the process with some video and photo updates. If there are only one or two folks interested then I can do something much less formal. All of that can be free for up to 20 people... (this is cross posted)

I'm also considering limiting to 12 and charging $25 total for the three events - just $8.33/ meetup. That w Then I could provide a meal cooked over a fire, print nice color hand outs or other amenities. Or $50 per person and you leave with your own Aquaponics system. We would use my tools and materials to build the 5 gallon version complete except the water pump which will run you $25-40.

Either would cover 3 meet ups, hands on building two different sized Aquaponics set ups, food, friends, etc... the extra $25 pays for the materials for your system which I would buy, cut and prepare for us to assemble together. All of the money will be spent on the events, I will not benefit financially from this. But would love to share the experience, even if I fail this year for some reason we can all learn from it.

For those interested, What are your thoughts? Do you prefer to bring a dish to share each time or go every person for themselves? Or share the expenses and I will put together a nice spread for each meet up with a few small extras? Or would it be best to go all in and spend the $50... have some BBQ each meet up, maybe a prize or two and end the series with your own set up that can be growing lettuce this fall? I planted a cumber in AUGUST last year. It grew so fast that its root ball was so large it made it hard to remove lettuces! And at one point we had so many cucumbers that we had a few rot on the vine. That plant required just 2" of "ground space"... Really cool stuff, all!!!
maustypsu
North Carolina State Moderator
North Carolina State Moderator

Re: Three Part Aquaponics Series - Free or cheap - hands on!

Postby Gunns » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:35 am

Couple of questions. My ignorance on Aquaponics is staggering so patience please. I like that you have a test set up. I may try it too.

Do you have to heat it during the winter months? If so where is the break even point going to be in this type of system? How much food do you need to produce to come out ahead?
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Return to Ohio Meetups