• Advertisement

Need AA county land advice

Welcome! Please introduce yourself here

Need AA county land advice

Postby advice4land » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:26 pm

:clap: hi everyone I need :ninja: help. I have 2 acres raw land and want to build a bunker, I wanted to know if anyone has experience with this. Or at least buy a sea container to make it livable while I sell my house and get the money for a proper bunker. I don't want the permits because that way they know about location of my stuff. I'm licensed in Plumbing, HVAC and Electricity, and I've done similar work, but not for myself. I can live in a container and fix it up nice. But it is not permissible according to the permit place. Red tape is killing my dreams :surrender: and bumming me out : :surrender: :cursing: :help: :help:
Thanks for any advice
advice4land

Re: Need AA county land advice

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:11 pm

what's the big appeal with a CONEX box? - spend all that $$$$$ getting it livable and it's re-sale value is zip - almost the same bad $$$$$ thoughts on building a bunker instead of a decent homestead - come crawling out and die of hunger because you have no self sufficient planning ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby danthman114 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:04 am

You can diy but when or if they find out about it the will make you take it out. Build a house how you want it
danthman114

Postby Fullmoon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:47 am

The days of building a secret place are gone. County building and property tax assessors routinely use satellite and drone technology to see who's doing what and where. Comparing satellite photos to determine who has added a room to his house or built a barn is the norm now and it generates more revenue for the city/county through increased property taxes plus double the cost for a retro building permit. I consider this extortion but that's the way things are in todays world. You can build a house with a basement that can easily double as a bunker, complete with water supply and sewage disposal and its all legal. You won't have to worry about nosy tax assessors snooping around your property or building inspectors looking for code violations if you pull a building permit and jump through the hoops.
Fullmoon

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:03 am

Fullmoon wrote:The days of building a secret place are gone. County building and property tax assessors routinely use satellite and drone technology to see who's doing what and where. Comparing satellite photos to determine who has added a room to his house or built a barn is the norm now and it generates more revenue for the city/county through increased property taxes plus double the cost for a retro building permit. I consider this extortion but that's the way things are in todays world. You can build a house with a basement that can easily double as a bunker, complete with water supply and sewage disposal and its all legal. You won't have to worry about nosy tax assessors snooping around your property or building inspectors looking for code violations if you pull a building permit and jump through the hoops.

you extend the foundation and the basement to include a "secret bunker" area - that will be eventually under a porch wrap around or something else to mask what's underneath ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby rickdun » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:18 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:
Fullmoon wrote:The days of building a secret place are gone. County building and property tax assessors routinely use satellite and drone technology to see who's doing what and where. Comparing satellite photos to determine who has added a room to his house or built a barn is the norm now and it generates more revenue for the city/county through increased property taxes plus double the cost for a retro building permit. I consider this extortion but that's the way things are in todays world. You can build a house with a basement that can easily double as a bunker, complete with water supply and sewage disposal and its all legal. You won't have to worry about nosy tax assessors snooping around your property or building inspectors looking for code violations if you pull a building permit and jump through the hoops.

you extend the foundation and the basement to include a "secret bunker" area - that will be eventually under a porch wrap around or something else to mask what's underneath ...

As Illini stated. The old farm that we bought some 40 years ago has an old farm house, thought about tearing it down or renovating it.

We decided to renovate it. To make a long story short, the foundation is all stone, about 18 to 20 inches thick. The front porch faces north and is 15 feet X 26 feet and has a 8 inch thick concrete floor. Under the porch is the root cellar, the sun never hits the front porch and when it was 13 below zero this past sunday, it was 43 degrees in the root cellar.

You can have the best of both worlds, a root cellar (facing north) and your bunker.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby John Galt 1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:21 pm

From what I understand about Conex boxes they are pretty weak except at the lift points. To bury one you need tp add a lot of internal bracing to handle the weight of the dirt.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby JoyDog » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:36 pm

John Galt 1 wrote:From what I understand about Conex boxes they are pretty weal except at the lift points. To bury one you need tp add a lot of internal bracing to handle the weight of the dirt.

Yep, they are not much!
JoyDog

Postby sageprice » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:28 pm

Build a root cellar, they are still legal you can finish it off with out drawing attention.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Return to Check In Here Maryland Preppers