• Advertisement

Missouri Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Please introduce yourself here

Missouri Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:55 pm

The American Preppers Network is conducting a network-wide roll call.

Missouri Preppers, please reply to this post and let us know what you are doing to prep.

Are you new or not sure where to start?

Here are a few tips

Networking
The APN focuses heavily on promoting our state groups at the regional and local levels, more so than most forums. Here is the State Network directory, use it to get to know and communicate with others near you.
viewforum.php?f=36

Some other things you can do:
* Check in to your states group at least once or twice a week to help keep your local groups active
* See a storm or disaster in your area? Post about it and let others know
* Find a good deal at a local merchant? Tell us about it.
* Join your local CERT teams. Each state directory has a link that lists the teams in your state.
* Join ANTS (Americans Networking To Survive) ANTS is a unique group that forms supply chains between members so that members should not have to rely on the government for emergency supplies in a disaster. Here is their website: http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/
Here is their sub-forum here on APN: viewforum.php?f=618
* Join a local survival, preparedness, or sustainable living meetup group, or start one yourself. Meetup.com is a great social network that helps you meet others near you. APN is offering for a limited time free Meetup.com pages for our Gold members who want to start local Preppers meetups. Normally these pages are $20 a month to get started but with APN Gold membership being only $5 a month you can realize a net savings of $15 a month. Here is information on the offer: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9170

Learning
Here on the APN learning is free. Our index page (index.php) is organized and categorized so that you can browse easily by subject to find the categories you are looking for. If you dont see a topic that you are looking for you can use the search bar. If you still can't find what you are looking for, then pose a question in the appropriate category and our members are more than happy to share their knowledge.

Resources here on the forum:
* The basics section here on the forum: viewforum.php?f=616
* The Survival, preparedness, and sustainable living directory: viewforum.php?f=12

Free downloads:
* http://cd3wd.com/ (Over 4,000 titles totally over 13 gigabytes)
* http://www.preppers.info/Free_Downloads.html (Over 300 ebooks, manuals and pdfs for download or get them all on disk for free. There is a suggested donation of $2.97 to help cover shipping and handling)
* http://www.stevespages.com/page7c.htm Hundreds of military training manuals and coursebooks for download
*Here is an article on how to build your survival library for pennies on the dollar: http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.com/ ... y-for.html

Teaching
By sharing what you know on how to prepare, survive, or live sustainable you are helping others to become more self-reliant in the process. "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." The more prepared everyone is and the more self-reliant everyone is, the freer we all are. When the unprepared become prepared they are no longer a liability for everyone else. Understand the difference between being in a disaster where there is only one able bodied person who is prepared and 10 who are unprepared vs a disaster where there are 10 prepared and only one who is in need. An unprepared populace that is dependent on the Government means less freedom for YOU. Do you see how you can "Find Freedom Through Teaching Others Self-Reliance"?

Some things you can do:
*Share your knowledge on these forums. You may find it to be a fair and equitable barter when you do. If are able to learn something from others here, then repay the favor by sharing with them what you know.
*Contribute articles to the blogs. The APN and state blogs are member and reader contributed blogs. We are holding a weekly contest now: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9086
*Attend the local meetups if there are any in your community and teach your skills.

Do you have most of the bases covered already? Then reply to this post and tell us what you've been doing to prepare. You may inspire others to try something new. Good luck and Prep On!
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Missouri Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Postby Connor » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:04 pm

Been slogging away at the Small-Hold in North Central Missouri.

Got the rifle and pistol reloading presses up and running. Purchased a solar kit which I am now designing a frame mount for and just itching for this cold damp weather to finally break into gorgeous Missouri Springtime.

So many projects to do this Spring and Summer and so little motivation to work outside in the damp wind and chill.

http://smallhold-pioneerpreppy.blogspot.com/

I currently have raised beds to add this Spring, a rain catchment/gutter system to finish up that I started last Fall and bee hives to begin splitting. Going to be busy busy when the warmer weather finally arrives for good. I can't wait and neither can my seedlings growing in the living room either!!!

It always seems the nice weather this time of year happens on workdays while the weekends are just cold, wet and nasty. BAH I say.
Connor

Postby trailhead » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:34 pm

Hello!

I've slowly been dealving deeper and deeper into the prepping lifestyle. I've always hunted and backpacked and been familiar with the outdoors. I've always been prepared for the unexpected and to self-rescue under those circumstances. But this is a whole different ball game.

I've come to realize that if things went horribly wrong - and if I hoped to continue living in a manner the slightest bit similar to what I enjoy now...well, that requires some serious thought and planning. So I've spent the last couple years scouring resources for info and developed an ever changing list of supplies/plans/tasks. I've tried to prioritize the supply list and am buying accordingly in the event things went terribly wrong tomorrow. I'm trying to balance going into debt and looking like a lunatic to friends and family by rushing out and buying everything I think need NOW with being sensible and making rational decisions. At the moment the biggest project is food storage. I'm trying recipes from small purchases of food before buying it by the bucketfull. I'm trusting (hoping & wishing) that I have enough time to do it all my way.

I'm happy to be here. I'm obviously new and hope there are more like me joining soon. I'm sure there's plenty of good advice out there that I haven't heard yet. Hello again to you all. I look forward to future interactions!
trailhead
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby ReliantMedia » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:18 pm

Here in SW Missouri.

- Upgraded house to Wood Stove, connected with some people who have wood lots and now have a free supply of woodland for cutting.
- Have purchased food stuffs and am making a second attempt at gardening this year. I was able to get spouts but dogs wiped out the garden idea, so we are moving it to the garage for spouting and clay pots with a greenhouse for preservation.
- Have purchased canning equipment, dehydrator and mylar bags. Getting all production up and running for portions.
- Have connected with a few people through the network but when I explain my situation, they stop communications (I have a disabled spouse and 2 young children).... to dependent on me... not enough to be a help if things get sticky.
- Purchased gear and materials for GOOD Bags and about ready for assembly.
- We have also stocked up on most basic materials as much as possible.

Our plans for this year include:
Setting up our rain cache. (I have the 55 gal drums) Just waiting for the weather to turn nice so I can finish prep and get them started.
Gardening (Priority #1) - have got to learn and get it accomplished this year. Glad I didn't wait until hyperinflation to learn.
Working on other forms of energy for home/cooking/heating water, etc.... figure with oil prices increasing that we'll see rolling blackouts, shut downs in essential services as resources being to be strangled.
Complete food storage buckets and GOOD bags. Continue to stockpile supplies as budget allows.
Learning to make furniture/woodworking for additional skill set. Also trying to learn small engine repair. Will also be hunting with some people I connected with (Wild Turkey and Deer)

Other than that... trying to stay busy!

Keep Preppin'!
ReliantMedia
ReliantMedia

Postby poorboy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:25 pm

Gettin ready to try and get there. We'll be in S. Cntrl. MO in about 30 days. Been working on the 5th wheel that we'll start out in. Bit nerve-wracked right now. Actually slimming down on stuff rather than collecting like we've been doing for the past couple of years. Watching gas prices go up daily. Riots and protests everywhere. Here we are getting ready to move half way across the country. Still have to get there, set up the homestead and hopefully get the thing paid off in a couple of years, all the while hoping things don't accelerate downhill rapidly. Outbuildings, raised beds, chickens, goats and someday a house would be nice. Like everyone else we just need more time and money. That money's going fast these days. I've got things on my wishlists and watchlists that have doubled in price. At least solar has gone down. We've also got some panels on the way and have been buying DC and propane appliances. Off grid with no running water for a while. Should be interesting and will be good practice for the future.
poorboy

Postby KountryKathi » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:48 pm

We ae plugging away here in the wet Ozarks. I just did an order with Morgan County Seeds for seeds to store and for NEXT year. We should have plenty for this year. We have a good start on firewood now too, but there is more to get cut so it is dry.

My yahoo group, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OzarkAreaSurvivalists/, and a few others are doing gatherings to work on networking and they keep getting bigger. There is a large number of people that come from the Ava to West Plains area and while there are a good number in the Springfield area, we need to work on getting people to come.

I keep meeting people that are concerned, especially about rising food prices, that are gardening, starting to garden or increasing the size of their garden. This is a good thing.

KountryKathi
Kathi, Halfway, MO
But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
Thomas Jefferson, 1782
KountryKathi

Postby callmecaptain2 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:20 pm

Too much to list in detail. I may write an advanced technical construction book.

Preparing to move off the grid.
Generating 12v with several methods. (Engine, wind, and human driven) Book fodder.
(exploring tapping the ac voltage off alternators,too, to utilize existing devices without need for rectifier)
Minor solar cell usage due to expense at this time. May return to passive solar collection I used 40 years ago.

Tapping several water sources. Well(planned), ground water, rain collection(cistern and above ground tanks) Use for drinking, irrigation, and utilizing the geo-thermal properties of the earth and in-ground water.

Designing vacuum sealing systems, which I am about to build. (imagine a 200 gallon ballast tank, which I have) Book fodder.

Expanding video security system and arsenal. Book fodder. :gunsmile:

Working on Ham radio license right this minute. When they shut down the internet and telephones, what do you do? GET ONE, and a radio! :ninja:

a. Entry level Technician License (fancy name for Novice) is fairly quick, easy, and cheap. AM-FM bands which are local/regional, and probably the most important. 10 hours of online study, $15. license, $200. +- radio, and you are good to go. This is the bare minimum. (throw those cheap walkie-talkies away) For a few bucks more you can go 1st Class.

b.General license takes 30 hours study and a more difficult test, but even 10 year old kids are doing it. WORLDWIDE coverage, $500. ballpark price for good radios. The sky is the limit on this stuff.

c.General License Extra. Top level, added difficulty, but in certain cases you can legally use more restricted wave-bands as well as reach military, satellites, and even astronauts.
There are reserved bands for communicating with military for testing and for coordination in time of Emergency. Here is the national site I got started with. http://www.arrl.org/home

MOST IMPORTANT TO ME: Learning even more, advanced, barter-specific, skills to add to my Jack-of-all-trades resume. KNOWLEDGE is the #1 investment. It's the only thing they can't take from you. KNOWLEDGE will always be POWER. In our case Self-Power. Bartering knowledge is kind of like the entertainment and publishing industry selling us paper, air, sight. Nothing tangible,cheap, and repeatable, ad infinitum. :smartass:
callmecaptain2

Postby WP45 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:43 pm

Still looking for other local preppers with no luck.
WP45

Postby JohnME045 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:58 pm

Like many who have checked in, there are just too many things to list. I will say that it is overwhelming and stressful especially for a single income family of 5. We are currently using our funds to secure long term food storage. We concentrated on building ammo supplies for over a year and improving our camping and bug out gear. I have been reading and downloading to print valuable information as well as plotting out possible evac routes and places to stay temporary or longer term. I have become better with the gardening thing and canning foods. We have stockpiled the supplies to can what we have grown. I have slowly getting my wife into the proper mindset for what may come. For her, this is too much and stressful. She knows I am right but the reality of things is scary. Educating myself and my family as best as possible for being self-sufficient and helpful to others. I wish we had put more money into silver and am feeling like we have missed the boat on that. Will continue to read other preppers post to become more aware and prepared.

God Bless.
JohnME045

Postby MrAdam » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Hey guys. Checking in from Eastern Missouri, south of St. Louis area.

Working on a few things here.
Food: Built a small 6x10 greenhouse and am working on a hoop house. Started tomato, pepper, lettuce and kale seeds (just now getting some sprouts) in the greenhouse. Planned out the garden, which will be 75% bigger than last year, and adding several new vegetable selections. Preparing to can and hopefully dehydrate more than last year. Planning on getting some more chickens when the weather gets a bit warmer also.

Firearms: Got a new hunting rifle last month. Should be able to freeze and dehydrate some meat this spring/fall. Working on building up ammo supply as well.

Fitness: Started working out and eating healthy. Focus on aerobics. Dropped 27 pounds so far. 10 more to go.

Home Defense: Developing a home defense plan to cover weather/civil unrest/home invasion possibilities. Working on upgrading windows and doors.

I'm also trying to connect with other like-minded people in my area (St. Louis and south).
Good luck to everyone out there. Keep your eyes open and stay diligent.

MrAdam
MrAdam

Postby Hoppes » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:42 pm

I checked in with Arkansas, but do more business and spend more time in Missouri. I live in Arkansas but have to go through Missouri to get to Arkansas from my house. I'm one of "those" people.
A friend's description of me: "A babywearing gun-toting mama.... In hot pink crocs."
Hoppes

Postby dstarr » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:15 pm

Interesting so many with same views. Is this a real concern or another Y2K? I was fully (along with a few others) prepared for the computer meltdown but didn't happen. Afraid to get to far in that scare again. Still I am making what I think is logical preps. Building a safe room/root storage/storm shelter in basement. Trying to reduce outgoing and better use incoming. Just moved to MO (Half Way) to a place in the country. Lots of wood, secluded wood burning outdoor water furnace, super large fully 10 foot fenced garden. This year for goats, chickens and I hope bees if I can figure it all out.

Me...?? Just retired from nursing after being in army for 20 (combat arms). Have moved and lived everwhere and ready to stop. Hope to be ready for anything. Like it simple. Feel free to contact me, wife said I never met a stranger. HI to all. Better to have and not need than need and not have.
dstarr

Postby koshkonong » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:17 pm

Started last spring a little at a time as fianances allow. My dh is not on board at all thinks I am crazy. :cursing: So its very slow going. Will try to get a garden going again this year. Just ordered a dehydrator. Just got shelving up in my late mother house for storage.
koshkonong

Postby brchbell » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:35 am

We're prepping up here in NW MO. will be back out soon teaching my prep classes to try and get my neighbors prepping too!
brchbell

Postby fatheadhill » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:04 pm

Just checking in. I'm still in the research phase, so I've been keeping myself busy reading....., A LOT, :p
fatheadhill

Next

Return to Check In Here Missouri Preppers