Whats in your Bug Out Bag?

Post general Missouri Topics here

Whats in your Bug Out Bag?

Postby silverwolf » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:00 am

What are you putting in your bug out bag? :gunsmile:
silverwolf

Re: Whats in your Bug Out Bag?

Postby mombear » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:58 am

It get heavier every time we have a posting like this because I might need this or that. I have one change of clothes for a "fall" weather, with extra under garments,shoes and socks. Food and water for 3 days, a tent and sleeping bag. stuff to make a fire, rope, hatchet with a hammer head, mess kit, hobo stove and burner. Water bladder for 3 liters, water purification tablets, fishing kit, first aid kit, whistle with a compass on it, some maps. trash bags, zip lock bags, a "Ikea" blue bag (for collecting stuff if I need too). candles and matches, a bowie knife, and a roll of duct tape. And a bunch of other stuff that I don't remember off the top of my head. Most important is two rolls of TP vacuumed packed.
Your failure to prepare, does not make it an emergency for me!!
mombear
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby evansrabbitranch » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:05 pm

What does it mean to Bug Out? Is this the stuff ready to run if needed? Had not thought of running, I am getting setup to dig in and stick it out.
Evans Rabbit Ranch
All about us and our critters!
http://www.evansrabbitranch.webs.com
evansrabbitranch
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby mombear » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:39 am

I think of it when the "zombies" come and you are down to your defensible position and about to be over run. you need to leave to protect your family. You have enough to stay away for a few days then go back and see if your home can be used again. Or this is the stuff you will need to keep going to a even safer place. Every member of the family should have a bag, with contents for them. I keep mine in the car at all times.
Your failure to prepare, does not make it an emergency for me!!
mombear

Postby Vina8 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:20 am

A Bug Out Bag (BOB) could be useful in a multitude of situations. In addition to having to leave because of potentially violent intruders, you may be required to evacuate your home due to floods, fires, toxic spills, hurricanes (probably not in Missouri :) ), foreign invasion, government marshal law, etc. My husband and I each have a backpack with essentials designed more for having to leave on foot going cross country and include wilderness survival items. In addition, I have a large duffel bag on wheels with additional clothing and supplies that would be useful in case we have to evacuate by vehicle and going to an evacuation center, hotel, relative's home. These bags are stored in a hall closet close to the door ready to go. In addition, I have a kit for my truck that includes food, water, fire starters, lights, emergency blankets, etc. of a survival nature, first aid kit, and more tools than I have in my BOB.

I also put together BOB's for my daughter and son-in-law who live in NYC with an emphasis on getting out of the city with the possibility of walking to NC. Here is a link to the list I posted earlier. viewtopic.php?f=170&t=2398&start=0&hilit=BOB.

I hope this helps.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby evansrabbitranch » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:39 am

Oh, I don't really have a Bug out plan. I will start working on one. Thanks for the info guys! Should probably figure out a place that will be safe to go too huh? How do I go about finding one? I know one place I would gladly go but am not sure it is realistic as its kind of on conservation or state land.
Evans Rabbit Ranch
evansrabbitranch

Postby Vina8 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:49 pm

evansrabbitranch wrote:Oh, I don't really have a Bug out plan. I will start working on one. Thanks for the info guys! Should probably figure out a place that will be safe to go too huh? How do I go about finding one? I know one place I would gladly go but am not sure it is realistic as its kind of on conservation or state land.

Here is a link to a sub-forum dealing with bug out locations (BOL) and shelter. I recommend you go there and browse. You find a lot of good information that should get you up to speed. viewforum.php?f=172&start=0
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby evansrabbitranch » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:30 pm

Ok so first and foremost I need to buy land. Hmm, that will be tough. Cheapest land I have seen in MO was 13,000 or was in closed community thing where you can not do a ton of stuff like have livestock. What is the point of having 5 or more acres if I can't have livestock? My older brother is buying land in CA and wants us to move out there in like 3 years. Maybe I should just wait and get settled up there. The place he is looking into is in the boonies in northern CA. Inland where you get some winter but nothing like the east coast. I had considered the place I was thinking of because it is close to a lake, could fish for food, has caves so could manage shelter, but then I do not own it so . . . that would be an issue. Plus its near a small town, not that many people in walking distance as in quick get in there! For me it would take maybe a day and a half to get there on foot, but I hope to have a bike soon like bicycle not motorcycle. That would cut travel time, but then I have to get what would be needed to move my family. Would take a lot of money. At this moment best I could do to bug out is . . .huh, not really sure actually. Everything immediately near me is private, conservation or state land. One conservation area in immediate walking distance has no special stuff, its a hunting and fishing area. I miagine everyone here in town would go there. Yeah, deffinitely looks like best bug out plans include owning land so you can put in a camoflauged (sp?) inground shelter. How would one go about hiding solar panels but not cut down their efficency? Seems to me solar energy would be excellent to have.
Evans Rabbit Ranch
evansrabbitranch

Postby HighDesertHawk » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:30 pm

Already at my BOL so I dont need the BOB anymore but I do have my EDC (Everyday carry) Which is a non discript back pack with everything I need to get back to my BOL on foot from about 60 miles. I have a larger pack if im traveling farther.
Knowledge is preparation.
Best equipment does no good unless you know how to use it.
http://www.roberthicks.shelfreliance.com Thrive Freeze dried food page.
http://www.youtube.com/user/survivalweb?feature=mhum
HighDesertHawk
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby evansrabbitranch » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:13 pm

Wow ou are really prepared. Can I ask how your bag differs for the farther distance from the one for within 60 miles?
Evans Rabbit Ranch
evansrabbitranch

Postby HYRYSC » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Evansrabbitranch, I am like you as I am planning on hunkering down, staying put and "bugging in". However, that only works perfectly if I am "in" when the fit hits the shan. I have a few EDC (Every Day Carry) items with me such as a multi-tool, a good flashlight (not a walmart special) and a good firearm. These things are always on my person. Then I have GHB (Get Home Bag) that I keep in my jeep. This resembles a bug out bag a lot except it is not mean to sustain me long, only long enough to get me home from where I typically am. (I work about 20 miles from my house, so about a full days hike).

Then I have a seasonal bag as well that carries alternate items that is also in my jeep. It holds my clothes that vary by season so I don't get caught with only by 1000 gram thinsulate boots and insulated overalls if the zombies come in July.
HYRYSC

Postby kazuma » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:59 am

i have mine set in multiple bags depending on what the situation calls for. have one main bag set up with just the basics and the a winter pack that clips on. then i have a big hikers pack set up long term and the SHTF battle gear bag. I would recommend under armor coldgear or the like for winter bag its light and keep you very warm.
kazuma

Postby Malachi » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:10 am

Malachi

Postby HighDesertHawk » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:46 am

my larger bag for more than 60 miles it holds more food and clothes, still use a nondiscript pack. My reason to use a non military style bag is to not draw attention to me. Camo is great but if you are going through a town you will draw attention to yourself and that is not always a good thing.
I have all the basics in both bags water, food, light, fire starting, clothing, rain poncho and personal protection, all geared to the desert.
Knowledge is preparation.
Best equipment does no good unless you know how to use it.
http://www.roberthicks.shelfreliance.com Thrive Freeze dried food page.
http://www.youtube.com/user/survivalweb?feature=mhum
HighDesertHawk
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby RightWingMom » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:29 pm

In my purse 24/7:
shot records
auto insurance
basic otc meds
Neosporin/Bandaids
inhalers (asthmatic in the family)
4 days of Rx meds
mini flashlight and Rescue window breaker on keychain

For short outings:
Insulated bag w/:
power bars
nuts
raisins
Survival Tablets

* Water bottles are ALWAYS in the back of our minivan!

BOB Backpacks if we're farther than 30 minutes by car. (2)
#1)
toilet paper
light sticks / lantern
fire starters & matches
pencils / tablet
hobo tools
super glue
rubber bands
tampons (cardboard for bullet holes / perish the thought!)
Para cord belt
waterproof watch
upholstery needles & nylon thread
dental floss
extra food bars & protein bars
dust masks
ponchos
rad. pills
mini first aid kit
Rx
water filter
small copy of the Bible

#2)
change of clothes for each family member

Disclaimer...
I'm in the process of re-distributing the backpacks.
I've decided to provide one per family member and distributing the items between them.
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it!" - Cap't. Woodrow Call, Lonesome Dove
http://texasprepper.bunderground.com
RightWingMom
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Next

Return to Missouri Discussion, News and Weather