• Advertisement

Michigan Preppers Roll Call 03/06/11

Please introduce yourself here

Moderators: Atreus, Bmanc21

Michigan Preppers Roll Call 03/06/11

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:51 pm

The American Preppers Network is conducting a network-wide roll call.

Michigan Preppers, please reply to this post and let us know what you are doing to prep.

Are you new or not sure where to start?

Here are a few tips

Networking
The APN focuses heavily on promoting our state groups at the regional and local levels, more so than most forums. Here is the State Network directory, use it to get to know and communicate with others near you.
viewforum.php?f=36

Some other things you can do:
* Check in to your states group at least once or twice a week to help keep your local groups active
* See a storm or disaster in your area? Post about it and let others know
* Find a good deal at a local merchant? Tell us about it.
* Join your local CERT teams. Each state directory has a link that lists the teams in your state.
* Join ANTS (Americans Networking To Survive) ANTS is a unique group that forms supply chains between members so that members should not have to rely on the government for emergency supplies in a disaster. Here is their website: http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/
Here is their sub-forum here on APN: viewforum.php?f=618
* Join a local survival, preparedness, or sustainable living meetup group, or start one yourself. Meetup.com is a great social network that helps you meet others near you. APN is offering for a limited time free Meetup.com pages for our Gold members who want to start local Preppers meetups. Normally these pages are $20 a month to get started but with APN Gold membership being only $5 a month you can realize a net savings of $15 a month. Here is information on the offer: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9170

Learning
Here on the APN learning is free. Our index page (index.php) is organized and categorized so that you can browse easily by subject to find the categories you are looking for. If you dont see a topic that you are looking for you can use the search bar. If you still can't find what you are looking for, then pose a question in the appropriate category and our members are more than happy to share their knowledge.

Resources here on the forum:
* The basics section here on the forum: viewforum.php?f=616
* The Survival, preparedness, and sustainable living directory: viewforum.php?f=12

Free downloads:
* http://cd3wd.com/ (Over 4,000 titles totally over 13 gigabytes)
* http://www.preppers.info/Free_Downloads.html (Over 300 ebooks, manuals and pdfs for download or get them all on disk for free. There is a suggested donation of $2.97 to help cover shipping and handling)
* http://www.stevespages.com/page7c.htm Hundreds of military training manuals and coursebooks for download
*Here is an article on how to build your survival library for pennies on the dollar: http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.com/ ... y-for.html

Teaching
By sharing what you know on how to prepare, survive, or live sustainable you are helping others to become more self-reliant in the process. "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." The more prepared everyone is and the more self-reliant everyone is, the freer we all are. When the unprepared become prepared they are no longer a liability for everyone else. Understand the difference between being in a disaster where there is only one able bodied person who is prepared and 10 who are unprepared vs a disaster where there are 10 prepared and only one who is in need. An unprepared populace that is dependent on the Government means less freedom for YOU. Do you see how you can "Find Freedom Through Teaching Others Self-Reliance"?

Some things you can do:
*Share your knowledge on these forums. You may find it to be a fair and equitable barter when you do. If are able to learn something from others here, then repay the favor by sharing with them what you know.
*Contribute articles to the blogs. The APN and state blogs are member and reader contributed blogs. We are holding a weekly contest now: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9086
*Attend the local meetups if there are any in your community and teach your skills.

Do you have most of the bases covered already? Then reply to this post and tell us what you've been doing to prepare. You may inspire others to try something new. Good luck and Prep On!
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Michigan Preppers Roll Call 03/06/11

Postby ridgerunner732 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:19 am

Cass County - we have been storing dehydrated foods, spices and non-perishables, rounds for every caliber weapon we have, water purification system, first aid, communications, tools, spare parts and manuals for the past 5 years. You can never be too ready or too prepared. We are trying to think of every contingency and I'm sure we have missed a few. We have documented every edible resource we have found on our land, in our woods. For the past 5 years, we have impregnated the cotton balls from every vitamin supplement bottle we have purchased with Vaseline Petroleum jelly and ziplocked enough away to start fires in the rain for at least 6 months. Most of my neighbors have done the same. We can, preserve, vacuum seal, smoke and dehydrate as much edible material as we can every season, looking for a rolling forward, two year supply of edibles. We have judiciously purchased #10 cans of selected dehydrated foods that have a shelf life of 20-30 years. We figure we can bust into those 'last resort' stocks when everything else runs out, we have to help the neighbors who have alsways been so kind to us, or we are too old to fend for ourselves off the land we own. While we have bountiful game in this county of 500 square miles and 50,000 residents, who can say what type of problem we'll be facing if we are faced with TEOTWAWKIT. I am sure of one thing: the gold others are buying to "protect" themselves will not be edible or drinkable, so everything we have been doing for the past 5 years has been geared toward our - and our good neighbors' - survival. I think we are very close to ready for whatever comes our way. A word to the wise: your general health is all important, because without your health, all the $$ in the world is useless, and if you are healthy, that means you have the nurtrition, shelter and clothing you need to make it through a tough time. The race will be won by the survivors - not the wealthy or the complacent, or the dependant. If you have not been preparing, start now, and if you have been preparing, continue. Good luck & God bless you!
ridgerunner732

Postby csolivais1979 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:05 pm

Not much as I am new, wishing now I would have started sooner.
Chad
csolivais1979

Postby gehl » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi, Pretty new here and not sure what to do. Weve been stocking up on dried goods and ammo. Not much more because we are new to the area. Sometimes hard to find other preppers near by. But this forum is helping us figure it out. Keep up the good work. :)
gehl
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby Bmanc21 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:37 pm

Ridgerunner - great post. I want neighbors like you. Mine all seem to have their heads in the sand.

Csolivais - We all have wishes of some type. Just remember "slow and steady wins the race". You keep at it, and every step will make you feel better about your decision. It can seem overwhelming at times. Just remember to work at it, but to also breath every now and then. It's easy to get caught up in it...so I've been told :'(

Gehl - You keep at it too. Don't forget water, because that dried food will not be to tasty without H2O. If you are in an apartment, I'm guessing you are on city water. Put up some water and make sure you rotate it every 6 months or so to keep it fresh. You should locate other sources of water in your area too, and learn 3 or more ways to purify it just in case. Remember, 3 minutes without oxygen, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food.

Just my $0.02 worth, and worth exactly what you paid for it.
Bmanc21
Michigan State Moderator
Michigan State Moderator

Postby Michigan_Sheepdog » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Lansing Here. Just acquired a "New to Me" BOV. 1999 Ford E150 Conversion van. Also been gathering non-perishables and spices. Started my mini Urban Garden. Essentially growing cukes and tomatoes for now to see how things go. :)
Michigan_Sheepdog

Postby ridgerunner732 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:20 pm

You new folks should not be discouraged: but you need to be motivated. It is only too late to begin preparing when it is actually too late - we ain't there yet, so you have plently of time. Think like this - you want to be preparing all the way up to when you need to kick it into survival mode. Start with a water purification filtering system. The Swiss make about the best, from my experience and for under $250.00 you can get a thermos-sized manual pump filter from a source on e-bay (why waste your money in a store). Just scroll down to one of the filters that no one has bid on and start out around $175.00 and drop out around $225.00. There. You have just assured that you and your family will be able to drink ditch or swamp water without danger of illness or parasites or even radiation -for about 3,000 gallons on one filter - enough to reconstitute those #10 cans of dehydrated proteins and calories you will buy from someplace like The ReadyStore.com. Be cautious, read the product info. Go for calories and for utility. You want to be able to maintain that 1200 calorie a day diet as long as possible. Think meat, gravy, eggs, potatoes, green peppers, onions, corn. Forgo the granola and the fancy berry mixtures at first. As your stock pile grows by a couple or three cans a month, buy some of the other 'luxury foods. But always in the #10 cans for maximum shelf life. IF you are near a wholesale big box like a Sam's or Costco, cruise the spice aisle and buy the commercial (1lb or so) containers of black pepper and seasonings: chili powder, cumin, oregano, basil, thyme, cinnamon, mustard powder, just think about seasoning all the food stuffs you are stashing away. It may be survival, but you might as well enjoy surviving! So buy the big containers of seasonings and dio not open them. Opened, they will not be too flavorful after a year. Sealed, you'll still know what you're eating 2 or 3 years out. All this is assuming you are thinking seasonally about clothing. I guess I can get my 2 cents in on that later. As you go forward, every time you go to the store, check out the price on dried beans and legumes. Tons of protein and minerals and fiber there. Cranberry beans, kidney, pintos are all pretty good. Remember that red foods and purple foods are healthiest - antioxidents and other pluses. Buy 4-5 1-lb bags of your favorite dried beans and legumes, peas and garbanzos. Drop the unopened bags into one of those 5 gallon plastic buckets you see in every big box home improvement store, then label the lid and seal it up, stack them in a corner. Those dried items will be good years from niow and there are a couple of meals in ever 1 lb bag. Buy 10 or 20 lb bags of good rice - medium grain is healthiest. Store those the same way. Look - all of the sudden you have water and food laid away! Well done!
ridgerunner732

Postby ginger » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:30 pm

Checking in from Jenison. New to the prepper network. Learning how to prepare.
ginger

Postby chriss1230 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:55 pm

You get discounted prices on freeze dried food from Shelf Reliance if you shop through this link. http://discount.shelfreliance.com
Prices are 5-15% off the regular website prices. They are one of the few freeze dried food companies that still have stuff in stock.
chriss1230

Postby frozenfox » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:27 pm

I am new to the forum and I live in Marquette (the UP). I am new to prepping as about a year ago. So far I have started with a bug out bag, which basicly consists of a molle external frame pack with a sleeping bag and a tent mounted on the outside of the pack along with a water canteen. socks, underwear, long & short sleeved shirts, pair of pants, sweater, mess kit, crank radio flashlight siren combo, candles, 3 different ways of making fire, water purification tablets, multi vitamins, a few caned goods (too heavy), ... I can't remember everything else, which makes me think I need to take inventory again :unsure:

I am pretty comfortable with bugging out to the woods in the winter or summer as I have been winter camping a lot. Though it has been just that, camping. I have not yet built up our pantry and it is something I need to take more seriously.

In the possibility of some sort of shtf in the UP or affecting the UP. I don't know if I am so much afraid of an invading force or something like that, I am more afraid of other people up here if there is a lack of prevailing law. Most people up here have guns and while we don't have much crime up here who knows what will happen. I have been training in martial arts for the past 4 years and I also train with firearms. I don't want to sound like an "extremist" though I do want to be prepared for as much as possible.

Anyhow I hope that wasn't too off topic and I look forward to learning a lot more from this forum!

Frozenfox
frozenfox

Postby johnorvis » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:35 pm

Ionia here, I am also new to the prepping scene. I also wished i had started a lot sooner. I am on an extremely tight budget no job and getting scared!
johnorvis

Postby xray » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:43 am

xray here from oakland county, just checking in. I was in the purchasing stage of prepping, but now that most of that has been done, it is time to switch gears. Now it the practicing stage, time to use the gear, tools, recipies, trails, and such. I organized two different meets at the LDS cannery and they went great. The next meet is with the 'Michigan flint knappers" let me know if any one is interested in the Michigan meet up forum.

I looked at the Georgia meetup forum, it seems that they meet up at a resturant once a month. Come on Michigan, we can do better.

Xray
xray

Postby justcelia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:34 am

We have been learning to dehydrate foods and bought a FoodSaver, bought seeds for this years garden and are gathering everything we need to learn to can our garden stuff. We have 2 hens and are getting 2 more this spring. We are a bit behind most preppers but doing what we can to catch up.
Tweelia
Just Celia
2 Brahma hens and a Yorkie
justcelia

Postby trialanderror » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Just a new kid on the block. Not sure how this kind of site works. If I mess up....get over it. I have been working at getting ready for the worst but am hoping for the best. Have been storing foods, tools, implements and books but I am less than experienced in these matters. My hope is that this may be a learning experience. Located in SE Michigan.
trialanderror

Postby Bmanc21 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:22 am

Good to see new folks joining in. Post some questions if you need help, or want to bounce ideas around, and we'll be glad to try to help.
Bmanc21
Michigan State Moderator
Michigan State Moderator

Next

Return to Check In Here Michigan Preppers