• Advertisement

Minnesota Preppers Roll Call 11/27

Please introduce yourself here

Minnesota Preppers Roll Call 11/27

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:25 am

Minnesota Preppers, Check in and let us know what you've been doing lately to prep.
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Minnesota Preppers Roll Call 11/27

Postby cnstntlrnr » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:16 am

Cnstntlrnr here! I have been attempting to take advantage of the excellent prices at the grocery stores. Along with that, though, I have great frustration with paying similar prices to a year ago on items finding that I am actually getting less due to the repackaging that seems to have been done to hide the lesser quantity.

We are also preparing to bring aging family members into the household (hopefully before Xmas) so we have been dealing with home modifications for those less mobile and more frail.

Both hubby and I are reading "How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It" by Rawles and realizing how far we still have to go. I like his lists of lists and ours has become quite extensive.

Both of our vehicles now seem to have oil leaks and mine just developed an exhaust issue so we will be addressing that this week once we get a place in shop to pull them in to have a look at them. Thankfully, they are a model year where we can still work on them ourselves instead of having to go to the repair shop where just hooking the tech unit up for a diagnosis is a bloody fortune, let alone the cost of the actual repair. <sigh>

Hope everyone has had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Cnstntlrnr
cnstntlrnr

Postby old_viking » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:24 pm

Hello all,

I've continued to add to my preps, and have a little more than three months put aside. Went deer hunting for the first time this year, and was lucky enough to bag a nice size doe. Son-in-law and his brother gutted and skinned it. All the meat from that doe and the other deer have been processed and are in my daughter's freezer.

Have also noticed prices going up, or prices the same for less product, and am using that information to help open other people's eyes to the need to prep, if even to save money. Contrary to the talking heads, I don't believe things are going to get better, only worse. And I hope it's a gradual slide down and not a crash.

Also vary between being sad and mad over what has been done to our country. My children, and especially my grandchildren, will likely never know the freedom and prosperity that most of us have enjoyed.
old_viking
Minnesota Preppers Network

Postby B0JaQ » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:36 am

I've been able to store up 30 days of water for each family member and we have about 30 days of food if something were to happen. Most likely major snowstorm or travel and get stranded. with that in mind and meager funds we are concentrating on emergency auto kits and buying at least two of everything and just rotate out. i bought some 4 inch PVC tubing at our local Habitat for Humanity Restore for $.75 approx 3.5 ft long. i am going to cut it in half and seal up one end and make the other end a screw off cap. then i will braid a shoulder strap out of para cord and fill the tube with the essentails, flint and steel, flash light, knife, deck of cards (down time for the kids), swath of orange material (bandana sized), hand warmers, and glow sticks, bottle of water 3/4 full. Anything else??? i am also learning how to suture a wound and looking for a welder (anyone selling?) these are two skills i'd like to master.
B0JaQ

Postby benaybob » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:16 am

Hello, I am checking in. I have mainly trying to stock up on more food preps. I think that our two college age children are fully on board. They are looking at the world differently now. My son was not very intent on deer hunting this year, and it was nice out. would have liked to have some venison canned up. I will try to keep in touch more.
benaybob

Postby Citi » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:25 pm

I am checking in! Better late than never--we were traveling to visit the in-laws over Thanksgiving. We are hurting for funds so we have to be creative in our prepping. We did pick up some kerosene heaters on Craigslist for cheap. We have a friend who is going to donate some of his ham radio stuff to us (I recently got my 'technician' class license.) We also got a food dehydrator and were thinking about trying out some jerky and dried fruit. We would also like to buy a Sawyer water filter from Cabela's, maybe after the New Year. We also purchased some inexpensive sprouting supplies form Wheatgrasskits.com and are going to try that too.

I have also continued to network with like minded folks, so feel free to message or email me. I also read a couple of survival books recently. One of the people I met through here gave me the Rawles course in a nice binder and I have been looking over that. We copied and printed out the 'List of Lists' available at SurvivalBlog and now need to take some solid inventory of what we have vs. what we need.

We also continue to slowly work on developing our emergency bug out location about two hours north of the Twin Cities. It is pretty crude, but we are enjoying the project and its fun to go camping out there. We definitely need to work on building up our pantry. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!!
Citi

Postby gatekeeper2earth » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:03 pm

Just checking in. Expanding my Get Home Bag for the winter. More bulk, but not too bad as far as weight goes. Using whats on hand......$'s a little tight right now. Stay warm!!!!
gatekeeper2earth

Postby mombear » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:14 pm

I just got more rice, flour and sugar. Would like more rice and sugar. Well get more next week.
Your failure to prepare, does not make it an emergency for me!!
mombear
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby cnstntlrnr » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:40 am

Seems like we are all just trying to move forward. I was able to get hubby to help me take advantage of the really low per pound price on turkeys and we were able to score quite a few. Turns out that my parents, ages 89 and 87 will be moving in with us before the end of the year so now my food preps need to expand even more. Along with diet restrictions for some health issues, the amount of meds that I need to build up is going to be interesting. Have been buying 2 Sunday newspapers for months for the coupon inserts. Have found another person that does not clip coupons, so she is giving me hers so I scour the grocery ads and try to take advantage of every savings possible. I especially like Rainbows double coupon days as well as the fuel savings that I can realize. We have diesel vehicles so I really appreciate any money off that I can get!

With hubby laid off, things are getting really tight around this household. A new focus right now is preparing our house for aging parents - grab bars, floor lighting, ramps, etc - wow, a lot to get done.

Stay warm everyone!
cnstntlrnr

Postby elizabethirish » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:14 pm

New to this network. Somewhat new to prepping - wondering if there is anyone there from the Mankato area interested in getting to know other like minded families out there?
elizabethirish

Postby mombear » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:37 pm

cnstntirnr, I don't clip coupons and we get the paper. elizabethirish, I'm going to U of M Mankato next fall. This old lady is learning new tricks. The DH loves to tell people he is sleeping with a college student.
Your failure to prepare, does not make it an emergency for me!!
mombear

Postby vonu » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:46 pm

mombear wrote:cnstntirnr, I don't clip coupons and we get the paper. elizabethirish, I'm going to U of M Mankato next fall. This old lady is learning new tricks. The DH loves to tell people he is sleeping with a college student.

That probably wouldn't be much harder if it wasn't you, most coeds being in heat.
vonu

Postby B0JaQ » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:00 pm

mombear, elizabethirish... I live in Mankato always looking to chat with the like minded. Mombear what will you be studying?
B0JaQ

Postby cnstntlrnr » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:08 pm

mombear, elizabethirish, & B0JaQ-

It is about a 45 minute drive to Mankato for me. Even though we were in the country a couple of decades ago, now the Twin City metro area has finally encroached on our home. It is as it is! Even though this is a fairly large state, it is nice to know that there are others close by that are of like mind!

We just added my elderly parents to our family so it has been an interesting time these last 4 weeks and we have a long way to go yet! We have not completely finished their move from SD so I will be traveling through Mankato to SD at least once before the end of January.

Regarding coupons, had to go to the store and get some items for my mom last night. Drove in and went to a Rainbow store since it was double coupon day. The 5 coupons that I used for her items were a buck a piece so we actually go $10 off just from the manufacturers coupons. That $10 can now be used for other items, whether they are immediate need or to put on the shelf for later. I also got fuel perk points so I am now back up to 30 cents off 20 gallons. Every bit helps in this household. If you don't want your coupon inserts, I will gladly take them!!!

That is awesome on taking the college courses! I am contemplating the college thing, but through distance learning - I hate doing the seat time. I really would like to find something that I can do from home as I really cannot leave my parents to their own devices for too long. It is another challenge!

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. Have a great New Year's Eve. The new year is before us!
cnstntlrnr

Return to Check In Here Minnesota Preppers