• Advertisement

Minnesota Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Please introduce yourself here

Minnesota Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:52 pm

The American Preppers Network is conducting a network-wide roll call.

Minnestoa Preppers, please reply to this post and let us know what you are doing to prep.

Are you new or not sure where to start?

Here are a few tips

Networking
The APN focuses heavily on promoting our state groups at the regional and local levels, more so than most forums. Here is the State Network directory, use it to get to know and communicate with others near you.
viewforum.php?f=36

Some other things you can do:
* Check in to your states group at least once or twice a week to help keep your local groups active
* See a storm or disaster in your area? Post about it and let others know
* Find a good deal at a local merchant? Tell us about it.
* Join your local CERT teams. Each state directory has a link that lists the teams in your state.
* Join ANTS (Americans Networking To Survive) ANTS is a unique group that forms supply chains between members so that members should not have to rely on the government for emergency supplies in a disaster. Here is their website: http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/
Here is their sub-forum here on APN: viewforum.php?f=618
* Join a local survival, preparedness, or sustainable living meetup group, or start one yourself. Meetup.com is a great social network that helps you meet others near you. APN is offering for a limited time free Meetup.com pages for our Gold members who want to start local Preppers meetups. Normally these pages are $20 a month to get started but with APN Gold membership being only $5 a month you can realize a net savings of $15 a month. Here is information on the offer: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9170

Learning
Here on the APN learning is free. Our index page (index.php) is organized and categorized so that you can browse easily by subject to find the categories you are looking for. If you dont see a topic that you are looking for you can use the search bar. If you still can't find what you are looking for, then pose a question in the appropriate category and our members are more than happy to share their knowledge.

Resources here on the forum:
* The basics section here on the forum: viewforum.php?f=616
* The Survival, preparedness, and sustainable living directory: viewforum.php?f=12

Free downloads:
* http://cd3wd.com/ (Over 4,000 titles totally over 13 gigabytes)
* http://www.preppers.info/Free_Downloads.html (Over 300 ebooks, manuals and pdfs for download or get them all on disk for free. There is a suggested donation of $2.97 to help cover shipping and handling)
* http://www.stevespages.com/page7c.htm Hundreds of military training manuals and coursebooks for download
*Here is an article on how to build your survival library for pennies on the dollar: http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.com/ ... y-for.html

Teaching
By sharing what you know on how to prepare, survive, or live sustainable you are helping others to become more self-reliant in the process. "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." The more prepared everyone is and the more self-reliant everyone is, the freer we all are. When the unprepared become prepared they are no longer a liability for everyone else. Understand the difference between being in a disaster where there is only one able bodied person who is prepared and 10 who are unprepared vs a disaster where there are 10 prepared and only one who is in need. An unprepared populace that is dependent on the Government means less freedom for YOU. Do you see how you can "Find Freedom Through Teaching Others Self-Reliance"?

Some things you can do:
*Share your knowledge on these forums. You may find it to be a fair and equitable barter when you do. If are able to learn something from others here, then repay the favor by sharing with them what you know.
*Contribute articles to the blogs. The APN and state blogs are member and reader contributed blogs. We are holding a weekly contest now: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9086
*Attend the local meetups if there are any in your community and teach your skills.

Do you have most of the bases covered already? Then reply to this post and tell us what you've been doing to prepare. You may inspire others to try something new. Good luck and Prep On!
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Minnesota Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:17 am

K. In MN
hello,
I guess I am "subscribed to receive e-mails" but NOT "registered". so, can't get in -- & am busy so will have to do that registration stuff another time.

so, to answer the survey, we are in northern MN & we are re-stocking the pantry
(been living off preps for 2 months due to medical expenses; time to re-stock);
planing the garden,
buying heirloom seeds this year instead of hybrids;
starting some seeds indoors ahead of time (never done that before);
got a generator for short-term use, like 3 days or less;
putting up more fencing for security, & to keep deer out of the garden (hey, I can hope);
planting more fruit trees on both our properties;
telling more friends to prep;
learning how to use wild grains (grass seed, amaranth, maple seeds etc) in baking;
teaching a neighbor about home food saving skills like canning;
adding to the rainwater-collection system for the main property;
improving the water-pump system at the backup property;
planting food plants native to MN on the backup property, to attract food animals like grouse;
continuing to work at getting out of debt & not acquire more debt;
making sure each member of the household has adequate outdoor-type clothing & footwear;
testing our alternative shelter plans to see if they really do work as expected.
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby old_viking » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:45 pm

Located in North Central MN
Purchased seeds for this year's garden, organic and/or open pollinated
Purchased heat mat for growing seedlings, as last year's plants were not big enough at planting time
Finishing plans for adding more gardening areas around my property
Will be starting to raise chickens for eggs this spring
Will be building a greenhouse to extend growing season
Been slowly adding to food preps
Paying off debt
Buying another small freezer to stock with meat, while this is part of prepping, will also help reduce effect of growing inflation
Adding a couple new rifles and ammo
Continuing to read and listen to subjects related to preparing
old_viking
Minnesota Preppers Network

Postby FreedomV » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:51 pm

Increasing food reserves and trying to wake up a few more sleeping Americans with the Appleseed program. Appleseedinfo.org
Also going through survive in place 12 week course
Freedom V, South MN
FreedomV

Postby JohnGalt47 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:42 pm

Northern Minnesota here. Maintaining my retreat and preparing to add a better well.

Also working toward getting space set aside for "community garden space" at the apartment complex I live in for the moment.
JohnGalt47

Postby JustJoe » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:57 pm

Newer member here. I'm in the SW Metro area. Considering renewing my EMT-B and my WEMT. Exploring a couple alternate revenue streams. Working towards getting some land for an off-grid retreat. Also working on building my network. Starting Bee-keeping this year. Learning more about Permaculture and considering taking the certification class.

I'm also interested in talking to anyone that is interested in getting together, maybe over coffee some weekend.
JustJoe

Postby cnstntlrnr » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:42 am

Just trying to get caught up. Taking a breath, finally and hoping to catch up on emails and posts. Been offline due to family medical issues and other stuff. We have so much that has changed and needs to be done now that we have added elderly family members to the household.

We are in review of everything mode and are adjusting our needs reality accordingly.
cnstntlrnr

Postby Unonius2 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:09 am

:clap: Just got word from the realtor our offer on a home in a small rural town in SE MN has been accepted; we close in three weeks.

We are on our way to becoming 'real preppers'!

We've been concerned about TEOTWAWKI for some time.
Wife can retire this year, so it was 'the time' for 'the BIG move,' as J. Wesley Rawles got us to think of it. Sending out resumes all over the area for me. (I still gotta work for ten years or more, darn!)
I read http://www.survivalblog.com on a weekly basis; sometimes more... but often it's too depressing. :shock:

Went and had gun training for the missus and me -something we NEVER thought we'd ever do!
Next- purchase of guns and ammo - our Second Amendment right, :gunsmile: to guarantee the First! :innocent:

Became distributors for http://www.shelfreliance.com to enable others to not depend on FEDGOV.
Already found a church home in 'our town' - now have to become part of it all.

But the best thing of all, no 'multiculturalism' in our 'little town.' The Twin Cities are getting worse and worse all the time. I'd love to meet with, and get to know others in SE MN, near Rochester, who feel the same.

God bless, y'all. you betcha!
Unonius2

Postby gatekeeper2earth » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:09 pm

Working to get out of debt, buying a few long term (long term for us anyway) food items. Most of all talking to others about doing something. Seems the whole world is asleep. There are a few starting to come around. Now carry a G.et H.ome B.ag in the car. It would be a 52 mile walk home from work. Manage to add a few things here and there.....used brace and bits, non-electric type tools. Wife is starting to realize just how fast things could go down hill, at least doesn't just roll her eyes when the subject of prepping comes up. it being winter , doing a far amount of reading-all with a prep out look.
gatekeeper2earth

Postby misog7 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:59 am

Metro cities dweller here. I am expanding my garden and gardening skills this year. Just got a dehydrator for my birthday and will be putting that to use. Stocking up on essentials for emergency use. Hope to build some aspect of a greenhouse/aquaponics system. I have some solar cells I will be looking into building my own panels. Increasing my canning and preserving this year. My goal is to aim for a full month's worth of emergency stock and then increase from there.
misog7

Postby Citi » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:42 am

North Metro here. We have been doing some purchases of items like kerosene heaters from Craigslist, doing some studying and planning, working on a safe place to go if need be in Central MN, planning on getting permits to carry for me and the Mrs. maybe this spring. Trying to pay off debt.
Citi

Postby go4broke » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:15 am

Currently living in Minneapolis and trying to learn as much as I can about prepping. I think (I hope) there's still some time left (long enough for met to get as much as possible) before SHTF/TEOTWAWKI. I'm trying to pay off debts I incurred while I was still in the service (USAF) so I can have more money to purchase needed supplies.
go4broke

Postby D_Loki » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi all,

I'm still in MN but I haven't been very active on the boards for a LONG time. Im going to try and go thru my old posts and fix the PDF links that have expired. it might take a while since I posted a ton of them. If there is something in particular that I've posted let me know and Ill try to get it to you.

As for what I've been up to, same old same old, stocking up on food, setting up a decent shop in the garage, organizing etc. I am also volunteering at the Red Cross with the Disaster Action Teams and begin training in the next few weeks. Over the past year we also organized a neighborhood watch program and I am feeling out some of the neighbors carefully. I'm hoping to find a like-minded thinker near-by.

TTFN

~Loki~
D_Loki
Minnesota State Moderator
Minnesota State Moderator

Postby Brambles » Tue May 10, 2011 11:18 pm

Newbie Brambles here!

Almost divorced, and reaaaallly starting over! Looking for land far away from SE MN's Med City, where things are going down hill fast IMHO! Have skills and energy, willing to relocate to assist and be assisted by like-minded folk. Gardener, animal knowledge, herbal health and building skills. Trained in Disaster Warehousing. Dedicated volunteer.
Brambles

Postby kmw » Wed May 18, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi - I just found this website. We are located in Minneapolis. And we are just starting the prepping process and reading as much as possible. I also started selling Thrive Shelf Reliance in the hope that will assist me in putting a dent in our food storage.
kmw

Next

Return to Check In Here Minnesota Preppers