• Advertisement

New member, newish prepper in PDX

Please introduce yourself here.

New member, newish prepper in PDX

Postby clay » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:52 am

Hello! PDX-dweller here, new to the forum. I've been aware of prepping since I was in high school but I've never been as serious as I should be about it and I want to change that. Part of that is the fact that my family feels pretty isolated in the Portland area and I'm not sure how to meet others so... this is part of that attempt. I figure it's worth a shot.
clay

Re: New member, newish prepper in PDX

Postby Dirk Williams » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:10 pm

Lots of preppers up that way. Check out the Oregon specific link. Good luck.

DW
Dirk Williams

Postby honeybadger+ » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:13 am

Hi there. I'm in Portland too and have been prepping for the last 10 years. I haven't really found a group compare notes with yet or learn new skills. I too am lacking a bugout property. I work as a nurse, so would be a good team member for a group needing one.
honeybadger+

Postby safeathome » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:33 am

Hello newish members and newish preppers in PDX. um ... me too. I would love to get into a discussion with others in the area to see what else we have in common besides naked vulnerability in the city. Sorry, I'm not a mechanic, an EMT or a subsistence farmer. I must have learned something in my long years on the planet so I'll provide what I can. I'm not rich but I can incrementally acquire and learn the basics. Haven't figured out how to get out of town when it's too late or how to get my wife from her job in the west hills back across the river to SE if something unfortunate occurs.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
safeathome

Postby John Galt 1 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:41 am

safeathome wrote: Haven't figured out how to get out of town when it's too late or how to get my wife from her job in the west hills back across the river to SE if something unfortunate occurs.

Hand held radio with extra batteries and s GHB (get home bag) in every car. Add a pre-decided route from her work to the house in case you come looking for her. A good pair of walking shoes and socks in the trunk also may be worth while.

Being someone who "prepares" in your area (very liberal) must be tough. Getting out of the city will also be tough, but unless you've got a place with supplies out in the country you'll be less than welcome. I say this in a friendly way but if SHTF happens Christain values will only go so far when it comes to helping when our families also need the food.

I'll gladly give my food and shelter to a child but not an adult if it may lead to my family starving. Living a bit over an hour's drive from a city we worry about lots of city folk with no food coming into the area where we are fighting to feed our families. Glad to have you here but you guys really need to concider stocking some food ect. on property you own out of the city or with a friend you trust out in a rural area.

just my 2 cents.

Glad you're here and super glad that you're thinking about this stuff in advance. "Prepping" is like buying insurance; hopefully never needed but you'll sleep easier knowing your family has a bit of extra "insurance".
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby safeathome » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:37 am

Thanks for thinking a few moves ahead and some thoughts on the lay of the land.
safeathome

Return to Check In Here Oregon Preppers