• Advertisement

Where to buy kits in hillsboro?

Post general Oregon topics here

Where to buy kits in hillsboro?

Postby Pestilence » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:46 am

So, I'm looking to buy a disaster/survival kit. I live in Hillsboro but can travel to Portland.

I've done some research but keep coming up empty.
Pestilence

Re: Where to buy kits in hillsboro?

Postby cooksarah78 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:16 pm

I live in aloha and instead of buying the over priced kits I have made my own! It works better money wise and it's something that is based on your needs not someone elses.
cooksarah78

Postby theicevalkyrie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:11 pm

Agreed. Make your own so it's more suitable for your needs. I bet you could go to a few stores and people would be able to help you. And it depends on what kind of kit you want. A BOB a glorified hiking pack. You can buy online food storage in bulk. Make an Amazon wish list so you can price check for bigger things like First Aid or supplies.

Hillsboro has REI (a bit overpriced), MK Tactical, Cabellas, Camping world and I'm sure tons of smaller stores or picking up stuff from general stores like Fred Meyer, Big 5 and etc. Or even Winco and Costco for bulk.

Just my two cents.
Just your local, friendly geologist with a good nature.
theicevalkyrie

Postby John Lee Pettimore » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:28 pm

There is a great prepper warehouse in Vancouver

http://web3.userinstinct.com/46337538-h ... arvest.htm
John Lee Pettimore

Postby cooksarah78 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:38 pm

For me being unemployed means I can't go and buy a load of food for storage but what I am doing I have 3 gardens in 2 locations so I can grow a variety of different foods. After harvest I dehydrate them and put them into storage. It's a lot of work but its suitable for me. As far as getting the things that I can not grow, I use coupons or find ways of obtaining what I need. I have decieded that I will bug in until it is no longer safe if shtf and then travel to my location located not too far away.
cooksarah78

Postby theicevalkyrie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:50 pm

cooksarah: keep the gardening! I just got my dehydrator and have been experimenting. What are some of your favorite things to dehydrate?

I've been couponing too. :D
theicevalkyrie

Postby cooksarah78 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:22 am

theicevalkyrie wrote:cooksarah: keep the gardening! I just got my dehydrator and have been experimenting. What are some of your favorite things to dehydrate?

I've been couponing too. :D

Taco meat, mushroom chicken with zucchini apples, and carrots. That's as far as I have gotten right now i am gearing up for bow hunting season. Going to get me a deer this year. My boyfriend says he's taking me along so I can show him how to skin a deer, I think it's because he doesn't want to get his hands into the blood n stuff.
valkyrie what have you dehydrated that you liked? What hasn't worked? Oh and I dehydrated eggs that was a stinky good time.
cooksarah78

Postby theicevalkyrie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:09 pm

cooksarah78 wrote:Taco meat, mushroom chicken with zucchini apples, and carrots. That's as far as I have gotten right now i am gearing up for bow hunting season. Going to get me a deer this year. My boyfriend says he's taking me along so I can show him how to skin a deer, I think it's because he doesn't want to get his hands into the blood n stuff.
valkyrie what have you dehydrated that you liked? What hasn't worked? Oh and I dehydrated eggs that was a stinky good time.

How'd the zucs turn out? I get tons of those in my garden. I've done peas and carrots (March is frozen food month, lots of sales on that) which turned out great. Peppers and onions. Lots of sales on onions in bags right now. Mushrooms too, although you need a ton to really make use! Jerky from sliced beef, chicken, and fish. Marinades on beef and chicken were awesome. Fish on the other hand, you had to put into a brine and the whole thing tastes waaay to salty. Won't waste money on that (we got tilipia for 50% off so we experimented). Did one batch of eggs, they took a really long time to dry. Ground em up chunky but have yet to actually try them to see if they taste good. I'd like to experiment with ground turkey too in jerky format.

MMM venison. Venison jerky....

We hijacked the thread... sorry!
theicevalkyrie

Postby CoastRange57 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:45 pm

There is some dude selling backpack prep 72 hour / bug out bags on craigslist for $ 75.

Like others, I made my own since his lacks some things.
Semper Fi. Marine Corps family.
Iraq and Afghanistan veterans.
Law Enforcement, Fire and EMS workers.
KF7---
Volunteer Firefighter 1979-1986
Master Mason
CoastRange57

Postby cooksarah78 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:33 pm

They are fine my secret is that with the mushrooms and chicken...i love that chinese food I cook it first and make sure that all the seasonings are in there and slightly over season it because you have to account for the water being added back to rehydrate it and you just dont want something that is blah. As far as kits go etc you can make your own 72 hour bucket that fits in the car. I go to burger king and ask them for their pickle buckets...they come with lids and they are absolutly perfect.
cooksarah78

Postby theicevalkyrie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:47 pm

Ew pickle stained smelly buckets! I got some carrot ones that aren't so bad.

$75 bucks for basic bag might not be that bad, but it depends on the bag. The better the bag, the more it'll cost. If it's a decent bag you might be able to add to it if i'ts got good stuff already in it.
theicevalkyrie

Postby JoseyWales » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:20 am

You will likely have to buy your kit in pieces. Its the better way to go as you can customize to your needs. There is an army navy surplus store in Boring which has good prices and inventory coming in weekly. I have gotten a lot of useful stuff there. They also have the fattest cat I have ever seen which is asleep in a different box every time I go in. I recommend it.
JoseyWales

Postby cooksarah78 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 am

theicevalkyrie wrote:Ew pickle stained smelly buckets! I got some carrot ones that aren't so bad.

$75 bucks for basic bag might not be that bad, but it depends on the bag. The better the bag, the more it'll cost. If it's a decent bag you might be able to add to it if i'ts got good stuff already in it.

You can kill the pickle smell so easy....but anyways we have working on the bucket garden lately things are going good...hopefully gonna get me some veggies so I can spend less money on veggies..yay...walgreens starting tomorrow has cheap soil and seeds with coupon in their circular. The seeds work well if you sow them first in a paper towel.
cooksarah78

Postby Kingtriton92 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:04 am

There is a prepper store on TV highway, about a mile or so east of Baseline road.
Kingtriton92

Postby Fyrediver » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:03 am

I agree with the previous posts regarding building your own kit designed to fit YOUR circumstances, skills, knowledge, etc. Kits shouldn't be a one size fits "all" but should be developed to fit the "mission" you're planning on.

For example, I keep gear in my car as a Get Home Bag - kit. However it's in layers ranging from what's in my Everyday Carry & pockets, to the middle layer of a Ribz front pack, followed by an outer layer of a small rucksack & lumbar pack. It's very lightweight and the layers have redundancy. However in the winter or when I'm going into the mountains I exchange the smaller rucksack for a larger pack and include my sleeping bag and tent. Not needed for the 20 miles between work and home normally, but would be nice when it's really cold.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” Charles Darwin
Fyrediver
Washington Preppers Network
Washington Preppers Network

Return to Oregon Discussion, News and Weather