• Advertisement

Winchester gun safes at costco

Post general Oregon topics here

Winchester gun safes at costco

Postby oregon dreamer » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:27 am

Hi, I was at costco yesterday and I came across the Winchester 24 gun safe for sale for $529.00. It looks like $1000.00 + gun safes that I have seen at gun stores. Does anybody in this forum own one or know anything about them? http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=winche ... 8&fr=moz35
oregon dreamer

Re: Winchester gun safes at costco

Postby namwal » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:14 am

Your link is to a search page not an actual site. I did a lot of homework on my gun safe. Ignore the brand name. Many of the boxes come out of the same factory in China regardless of the decal on it. Look to see how many locking bolts the door has and how thick are the bolts. How thick is the gauge steel used (a related clue would be how heavy is it). What is the fire rating. What about the lock, digital ones may fail then you need a lock smith to drill it out. Read some horror stories on those locks and would they work after an EMP? Stick with a good old fashion dial locking system. How wide does the door open? External hinges open widest and allow for door removal to make moving the safe a whole lot lighter. What's the warranty like? Is there a deal on shipping or do you have to pick it up. Saw a safe at a gun store that I would have had to haul myself, same safe was online for the same price with free shipping to my drive way. Of course price is important, weigh all these factors when comparing safes and buy the one that works best for your needs and budget. I finally ordered a Steelwater safe on line and have been pleased. If you do a search you might find my review on this forum. I did consider some Winchesters as well. Good luck to you.
"World oil production can probably keep going up for another 6 or 8 years. But some time in the 1980s it can’t go up much more. Demand will overtake production."-jimmy carter 1977

"Because of increased dust, cloud cover and water vapor the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born"-Newsweek 1970

"civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind,”-George Wald 1970.
namwal
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:22 am

You should check out Patriot Safes and Liberty Safes. They are both made here in the states and are good examples of what to look for in a high end safe. What safe to get depends on what and why you want to store in it. If you are wanting to store papers or cash or metals you need at least a 90 minute fire rating if not more. If that is the case you need to look at spending around $1800 at least. Just be careful, you might end up getting what you paid for if you know what I mean.

FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby namwal » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:41 am

Not so sure that Patriot is made in the USA, many companies buy the steel boxes already made and painted from China and consider it a "component" they add the drywall, carpet, shelves and lock and state that it is made in the USA. Even name brand companies that actually make safes here will get their low end models from China. Chances are that if it is under 2000 dollars, the box came from China. I would not buy from a company that lies...
"World oil production can probably keep going up for another 6 or 8 years. But some time in the 1980s it can’t go up much more. Demand will overtake production."-jimmy carter 1977

"Because of increased dust, cloud cover and water vapor the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born"-Newsweek 1970

"civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind,”-George Wald 1970.
namwal
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby TimWhite » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:58 am

I believe this may be the gun safe refered to in the origional post with specs.

http://winchestersafes.com/ranger19-BlackGloss-2.aspx

P.S. couldn't find any winchester gun safes on costcos website.
"We can have no '50-50' allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

"Pride and arrogance are a lethal combination and have brought about the downfall of many powerful men". Charlie Daniels
TimWhite
Illinois Preppers Network
Illinois Preppers Network

Postby namwal » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:03 pm

TimWhite wrote:I believe this may be the gun safe refered to in the origional post with specs.

http://winchestersafes.com/ranger19-BlackGloss-2.aspx

P.S. couldn't find any winchester gun safes on costcos website.

Only 4 locking bolts? Mine has 11 and this only has 12 ga steel? 10 or better is reccomended. It does have a good UL fire rating. I would NEVER get a digital lock. I guess if its under $550 it could be acceptable, but I'd spend a little more to protect my guns and valuables.

namwal
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby rasha » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:06 am

How wide does the door open? External hinges open widest and allow for door removal to make moving the safe a whole lot lighter. What's the warranty like?
rasha

Return to Oregon Discussion, News and Weather