• Advertisement

"But I'm not ready!"

Post general Oregon topics here

"But I'm not ready!"

Postby The_Exorcist » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:36 pm

On another forum, I had a reply to that you all might like to have a look it. It came up in a chat about PMs-

NOBODY is ready.
However, the fact that you are watching what is going on and taking steps in the right direction puts you light-years ahead of most people out there.

Now, there is one thing I'd like to say here that applies to every field of prepping, when it comes to the material side of things;
We all have a lot of stuff in our homes, on our persons even. This relentless drive to acquire more stuff would be a lot less worrisome to people if they would take the time to organize what they have and take stock of what they already have.
3rd-world armies have fallen to pieces because nobody had taken a proper inventory of the gear they had sitting in warehouses, things that could have saved them if they had used it.
Households can be the same way.

Its Spring cleaning time. Do a good job, top to bottom, and do it with an eye to prepping. Some of the things you find could reduce your urge for more PMs, if set aside with an eye to future barter.

Okay, so you can't afford that next ounce that would make your collection complete... but can you carry what you have (or a substantial portion of it) on your person in an unobtrusive way, on that does not make you have "money-belt itch"?
I do. One thing I wear sometimes is a little capsule I can wear on my neck with one ounce of Dimes and a 1/10th of gold. That's 200$ in metal for trade that is very easy to wear and does not get much notice even in plain sight.
A metal box the shape and size of a wallet (padded to reduce jingle) is also handy. But whatever you use, practice the carry of it to make sure it sits right, and get used to it so that your hand does not keep wandering over to stroke your stash.

Do that, and maybe you won't miss what you don't have too much.
"The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to its close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences."

-Winston Churchill's oft-quoted warning on the eve of World War II
The_Exorcist

Re: "But I'm not ready!"

Postby Anarchy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:15 pm

This is so true My BOB started out at around 15 to 25 according to what the season is now its close to 65-70 pounds with clothes , Ammo , survival supplys to last for a while if needed but it's like i need more everytime i see something when i really dont and proberly wont be adding to my collection...Im pretty much able to get to my family that are on the west coast if i wanted to go buggin out that far in a short time..... The way i see it the whole country aint gonna be much better out that way anyway hopefully we will meet in the middle somewhere I''ll pick up stuff and drop stuff along the trip no doubt.....
Anarchy

Re: "But I'm not ready!"

Postby The_Exorcist » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:34 pm

Sounds like your BOB turned into an INCH bag.

Its a different season, time to dump out the heavy clothes and Winter-weight sleeping bag. Replace those with extra water.

A heavy bag is not a bad thing, if you are used to it. And yes, if it turns out you don't need certain things, then you can dump them along the way. Better to have it and not need it, as they say... but you can't be sure of what you don't need until you are out there.
"The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to its close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences."

-Winston Churchill's oft-quoted warning on the eve of World War II
The_Exorcist

Return to Oregon Discussion, News and Weather