• Advertisement

Home perimeter security

Post general Oregon topics here

Home perimeter security

Postby cosn_asap » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:40 pm

What are your idea's for keeping the bad guys out of your home?

Low tech, High tech, nail strips, non-lethal traps, lethal traps, false fence lines for redirection, weaponry? That sounds great, but how do you know when to use them?

There are two basic schools of thought in a downed scenario when it comes to home security, Make a statement with fortifications around your home or act like no one is home (the abandon look)? The first school of thought, in my personal and experienced background, is to fortify, fortify, fortify... I can guarantee you are like "WHAT!!, and let them know you are THERE?" Yes, and I am going to tell you why. This also fits into a framework I like to call escalation of force. If you could imagine a stair case of steps going up, 72 hours being your first stair step and then one week after that, then one month and so on... Each step represents time in a downed scenario and how that increases escalation of force. For example; the first 72 hours there may not be much of a threat of "The bad guy" (we will use this terminology for scavengers) breaking in and taking what you have. This doesn't mean to get complacent, be ready!! But this may mean that just your non-lethal siren traps are in there sector positions, not your lethal nail strips, .22 cal traps, and shotgun traps. As time moves forward you move up the steps and increase your security. Someone told me, "Well, I am just going to shoot everyone that comes on my property and put out lethal traps right off.. Why wait!!!". I simply said OK, So when 72 hours go by and you just shot a volunteer Search and Rescue member coming up your drive way to tell you the power is coming back on in 8 hours, you just committed a murder and are going to the big house to play with Buba... It is important to remember that even in a disaster not to get to excited to quick.. Now, as time moves by and there is no established relief or restructure, then you move up the steps and become more and more lethal... Making a statement out of your house!!! because when the bad guys look at your home as a target, I will guarantee they will think twice and have to way the risk verse an unseen reward to take what you have... and move on down the street to the house that looks abandon with no risk... Now, I am not saying put signs in your yard, but fence lines, barbed wire, nail strips, boarded up window's, tangle foot wire, spiked hole traps, debris laying around for redirection, cars moved in tactical positions, and so on can be detected and then they have to way that risk... But, if you do nothing more then lock your door and hide behind it with a gun, you better know how to use it!!! Because as time goes on you will get visitors, guaranteed!!!!

Remember this is just my opinion based off of tactical advantages and human behavior, so what is your opinion or what would you do?

Here are some simple low tech non-lethal tripwire ideas.. PM me and I will get some prints put out to share the knowledge, thank you...
Attachments
IMG_0855.JPG
IMG_0854.JPG
Central Oregon Survival Network "Aware, Survive, Adapt, Prepare"
cosn_asap

Re: Home perimeter security

Postby ARDon » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:01 pm

A booby trap's defined as any concealed or camouflaged device designed to cause bodily injury when triggered by any action of a person making contact with such device. This term includes guns, ammunition, or explosive devices attached to trip wires or other triggering mechanisms, sharpened stakes, nails, spikes, electrical devices, lines or wires with hooks attached, and devices for the production of toxic fumes or gases are illegal.
I'm talking about "pre WSHTF"
My home has driveway sensor that sounds off in my home & shop(my business) to let me know who's pulled up. My home & shop (my business) have Alarm systems. I have Beware of Dog signs posted, firearms I have a motion detection security camera wired to a 19" monitor, the camera looks down on to the entrance of my business. You have to be buzzed in to enter my shop.

post SHTF none do to most likely no electric so be dogs & weapons.
ARDon

Postby rebnavy1862 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:07 pm

After a hurricane the power was out for almost a week. It was pitch black at night. I ran monofilament fishing line around my perimeter at about knee level. At intervals I attached tin cans with small rocks in them. The line was impossible to see at night. I lived in the city then. Caught a neighbor snooping around and a dog or two.
You can do this in layers, so that if the first one doesn't rattle off, the next ones will. Very cheap solution and easy, quick to do in a crisis situation.
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:27 pm

What are your idea's for keeping the bad guys out of your home?

In the suburbs here, so in a situation of aggressors going door to door, I'd prefer my home perimeter security to be my neighbors, their neighbors, and far enough beyond. What that means is working on local cooperation if SHTF. Perhaps that's a third school of thought in between fortress and abandoned home? I haven't gotten to the point of talking details, but I know several neighbors well enough to know who I'd immediately start coordinating with for mutual warning and protection given a bad scene unfolding. I should have a dog, but I've always been a cat guy.

I'm not likely to go hunker in a bunker on my own because any resourceful attacker could simply douse a single well defended home with gas and light it up. Unless a lot of prep has gone into covering the approaches, and the area has been cleared of cover and concealment, there will be a blind spot to get close enough for that to be a big worry. In my current location it's just not doable. Regardless, the moment I'm out in the garden harvesting I could get sniped from a rooftop a few houses away. So my most basic home security would focus on establishing a defense in depth, by adding distance from the threat. Distance provides time and time a choice of responses.

On my property, I'd only look to deploy passive early warning items as a first step (edit- just like what rebnavy1862 posted while I was typing). I'd be reluctant to trap my home, even in WROL, as people coming to my aid, or neighbors in need of aid, would be in danger of being hurt unintentionally. I wouldn't want to make foes out of friends when someone sends their kid over to ask about trading stuff and they get hurt from some indiscriminate gizmo.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby cosn_asap » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:33 pm

You mention a great point NJmike... If an attacker wants to enter your area (house) and he is determined enough, he will. Gas is a little excessive, because you have to remember he wants what you have, not burn it down. But your point to slow them down or redirect them into kill zones, if you will, to allow you the time to get prepared is exact.. I have also covered lethal traps on remote low tech systems (works very well), so that kids, family and friends don't end up hurt. As far as snipers go, there are not very many true snipers that practice. What I mean is, a lot of people go out and buy 1300.00 dollar rifles and practice a few times hitting a target that is not moving and not real, or killed a deer at 300 yards and call themselves a sniper. It takes over 1000 reputations in order to develop muscle memory and true accuracy, not many people have that kind of commitment or patients. It is much different pulling down on a human being and pulling the trigger. If you have a true sniper or even an intelligent one, use a decoy in a widow simulating an over watch position (you can make it look real with little effort, rigging it with a trip sensor to a siren, so when it gets hit ALARM!). Most snipers with any kind of training will shoot at the imminent threat first, over watch. Which gives you time to react and run for cover, and if you ever shot at something running at full speed with a scope, GOOD LUCK... In your situation maybe a little difficult to be pro active, but another technique is to find the most possible sniper areas and cover them in broken glass and human sewage, not many people will crawl threw it knowing there isn't a lot of medical attention around in a downed scenario. This forces them to take different actions, redirection to a place you left a few surprises. I know we are talking hypothetical, but in extremes, one must get extreme. Great conversation guys!!

Here is a picture of the final tripwire siren, and remote traps hulls... thanks for the conversation...
Attachments
IMG_0846.JPG
Central Oregon Survival Network "Aware, Survive, Adapt, Prepare"
cosn_asap

Return to Oregon Discussion, News and Weather