• Advertisement

Coming out of the Bunker....

Post general Oregon topics here

Coming out of the Bunker....

Postby cosn_asap » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:01 pm

We all want a certain amount of privacy or OPSEC in our prepping community, that is totally understandable. It is perfectly fine to stick to family members, small tight groups, or even go at it alone. But, at some point it may cross your mind that going at it alone or in small groups becomes a bit confined and limited. Unfortunately In today's day and age most preppers and or groups can be found with little to no difficulty, especially by our own wonderful government agencies. So, why hide and keep it a secret? We tend to make it easier for the ones we are prepping against or hiding from by staying in small groups. What I mean is, it is much easier to eliminate or disband single or small groups rather then large networks of people. Now, I am not saying run down town on a street corner and scream at the top of your lungs here I am come get me... But, finding, trusting and joining a larger network of people can be a great advantage in a downed scenario or just give you knowledge in areas where you maybe weak. Just some food for thought and maybe thinking outside the box, but there is power in numbers...

What are your thoughts?
Would you rather stay in a small group then joining a network?
Or would you rather go at it alone?

Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success....
Henry Ford
Central Oregon Survival Network "Aware, Survive, Adapt, Prepare"
cosn_asap

Re: Coming out of the Bunker....

Postby AMPRNE » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:29 pm

It depends on what type of situation you're preparing for. An end of the world disaster in which people feel they need to rebuild earth, then I think a large community is a necessity. Preparing for a localized event, then I think staying small, concealed, and avoiding confrontation is the best option.
Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate.
AMPRNE
Alabama Preppers Network
Alabama Preppers Network

Postby cosn_asap » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:43 pm

Good point AMPRNE, but isn't it hard to prepare for the unseen? What I mean is, doesn't most people prepare for the worst case scenario a severe collapse? Which would mean eventually rebuilding society? You bring up a great point of discussion, at what point does a prepper stop preparing and say, "I have enough"? Or I am ready? Looking at local disaster possibilities is of course the smartest place to start preparing, but when is enough?.. Maybe I just really enjoy survival techniques and preparing so much, I kind of made it a life style. Great conversation...
cosn_asap

Postby AMPRNE » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:09 am

I don't think someone will say I have enough preparations, and then stop prepping if they believe an end of days type of disaster will happen. I do think that some people don't want to continue living, or can't fathom a scenario in which a catastrophic end days disaster happens that changes the face of society forever. In that scenario, for those people, preparing for that scenario isn't something they want to do, and so becoming part of a community isn't necessary to them.

There is always something that can be done to improve a persons chance of survival, and at a certain point becoming friends with people who share the same beliefs as you is as important as knowing how to purify water and grow food.
Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate.
AMPRNE
Alabama Preppers Network
Alabama Preppers Network

Postby cosn_asap » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:23 am

There is always something that can be done to improve a persons chance of survival, and at a certain point becoming friends with people who share the same beliefs as you is as important as knowing how to purify water and grow food.

Very well stated!!! In my opinion you are absolutely correct.. Preparing to me isn't just putting food in the pantry, it is a life style...

Anyone else have an opinion on this subject? Does anyone think staying in a bunker is a good idea? What your thoughts?
cosn_asap

Postby popcandave » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:55 am

There is a old saying..."No man is an island" and I think that applies to prepping. No one person knows it all or can do it all by themselves. If they think otherwise they are kidding themselves. We were meant to work together not to be loners.... :shakeyes:
popcandave
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby Onegreenguy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:26 am

I firmly believe in an extended SHTF scenario if you are not part of a large group you will be over run and defeated by one...it's that simple.
"The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to its close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences."

-Winston Churchill's oft-quoted warning on the eve of World War II
Onegreenguy
Tennessee State Moderator
Tennessee State Moderator

Postby Permafrost » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:45 am

Like much that is discussed on this forum it is dependent on where you are and how you live now. For some it is purely a metaphorical bunker because of their remote location, for others is is a concrete hotel underground. Ether way you look at it groups have some good and bad points going for them. Most homesteaders here will tell you that they need no group because they do it all now. I try to be a little more open minded than that. With extra people there is more people to do the work, but also more people to feed & keep warm. Depending on how close you are to civilization extra people gives you more security, but if you are 30 miles up a stream with no roads do you need that many mouths to feed. Near as I can figure it both options are even for my situation, but most don't choose this life so the choice is a little easier.
As far as the question of when you have prepped enough, I go by the age I simply can't live past. That means 1 box of .300 win mag for sighting & a moose every year till I'm 110 years old. That means 50 pounds of rice a year for every year till I'm 110 years old. Same with everything from canning lids to pickling salt to candles to flour to lighters. If I die sooner it will be a inheritance and I seriously doubt I will last longer. But this is also my retirement when I'm done, I can live on my scrap of nowhere & know that I will live out my days and never have to go to town or buy another thing.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby cosn_asap » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:52 pm

Great points!!! You are right it depends on the situation, but situations are changing. What I mean is, with urban development and population booming, which we are reaching the top of the population J-curve, the homesteaders and wooded bug out locations will be compromised. Not to discourage homesteading, but the forests and off grid living areas are not a safe place to be in a downed scenario. Why is this in my personal opinion and experience? Because everyone in cities or the hunter types that say, "I will just go hunting for my food if SHTF" will be crowding the woods looking for food. Trust me when I say, it is already hard enough to find an area to hunt where you don't run into someone, imagine if everyone started heading into the woods for food. It would be a very dangerous place to be!!! Hell, we already had a hunter shot and kill another man for shooting his deer. Being prepared with a group or network in a city or town is the best and safest option looking at all the facts of human nature. Now, you are right, that there are extra mouths to feed, but that is why you need to educate and prepare as a team. Great conversation...

Do you believe in trying to wake people up to the possibilities of disasters and economic collapse? Or are some people ignoring the possibilities because they just don't care and rather die?
cosn_asap

Postby terrapin » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:00 pm

Permafrost, :thumbup:

I totally agree.
terrapin

Postby daaswampman » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:21 pm

Permafrost wrote:Like much that is discussed on this forum it is dependent on where you are and how you live now. For some it is purely a metaphorical bunker because of their remote location, for others is is a concrete hotel underground. Ether way you look at it groups have some good and bad points going for them. Most homesteaders here will tell you that they need no group because they do it all now. I try to be a little more open minded than that. With extra people there is more people to do the work, but also more people to feed & keep warm. Depending on how close you are to civilization extra people gives you more security, but if you are 30 miles up a stream with no roads do you need that many mouths to feed. Near as I can figure it both options are even for my situation, but most don't choose this life so the choice is a little easier.
As far as the question of when you have prepped enough, I go by the age I simply can't live past. That means 1 box of .300 win mag for sighting & a moose every year till I'm 110 years old. That means 50 pounds of rice a year for every year till I'm 110 years old. Same with everything from canning lids to pickling salt to candles to flour to lighters. If I die sooner it will be a inheritance and I seriously doubt I will last longer. But this is also my retirement when I'm done, I can live on my scrap of nowhere & know that I will live out my days and never have to go to town or buy another thing.

I agree with the above and will only add one's expectations. I have a rather unassuming location with a good deal of infrastructure and more supplies than I will need for the rest of my natural life. All that is fine and good, but it is something I sincerely hope to avoid. I do not expect roving gangs as I never even get deer hunters wondering into that location. Anything is possible, but you will drive yourself nuts trying to prepare for the improbable.

The real issue is one's expectations. I honestly feel that if the system actually failed, it would be years before anything like democratic order is restored and rural areas could take decades if ever. At 63 I am very unlikely to benefit or wish to participate in that madness. So my expectation is (and I could be wrong) that if I ever run to the BOL, I am not coming back. Swamp

Matthew 5:5 is the fifth verse of the fifth chapter of the Gospel of Matthew. Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby terrapin » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:20 pm

Swamp, once again, I find myself in total agreement. :thumbup:
terrapin

Postby cosn_asap » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:27 pm

Great conversation.. It is amazing to hear so many different perspectives on this subject. I believe permafrost has captured one of the best perspectives, not saying there is a right or wrong answer, but it really depends on the circumstances and human nature. Some people have the ability go at it alone, and some want to be in groups, maybe for stability or security. I have found, from experience, that the right group of people are more likely to succeed and survive adverse conditions, because of diversity. I have worked with a wide range of group dynamics from people in the military, police officers (SWAT teams), FBI, DEA to people that are challenged in every day life. Based on these experiences, group diversity will always outweigh individual survival. Not saying that individuals won't survive, but eventually, do to other groups that form, individual survivors will be weeded out. Even in the most remote locations. But again, this is a hypothetical assessment of a long term SHTF scenario and no one really knows how things will pan out, but great conversation...

How many of you would go at it alone? I know daaswampman would go at it alone or in a small group, which in his circumstance, makes sense...
cosn_asap

Postby terrapin » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:12 am

I would "go at it alone".
Thankfully, I won't need to do that.
I have trusted friends, neighbors, and family.
Very close, very handy.
terp
terrapin

Postby Permafrost » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:40 am

The more I think about it I would definitely be with only my family. I have friends I have considered picking up from town but they bring to much baggage and not enough benefit, which is sad because some of them would be considered preppers in other places. Alaska has 0.83 people per square mile. I've gone months without seeing a person. I fear winter more than I fear people finding me. Besides all the people will be heading south from here in a real SHTF situation, once the modern conveniences are gone there are not to many people that want to be here in winter at -60.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Next

Return to Oregon Discussion, News and Weather