• Advertisement

Virginia Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Please Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderator: simpleman

Virginia Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:26 pm

The American Preppers Network is conducting a network-wide roll call.

Virginia Preppers, please reply to this post and let us know what you are doing to prep.

Are you new or not sure where to start?

Here are a few tips

Networking
The APN focuses heavily on promoting our state groups at the regional and local levels, more so than most forums. Here is the State Network directory, use it to get to know and communicate with others near you.
viewforum.php?f=36

Some other things you can do:
* Check in to your states group at least once or twice a week to help keep your local groups active
* See a storm or disaster in your area? Post about it and let others know
* Find a good deal at a local merchant? Tell us about it.
* Join your local CERT teams. Each state directory has a link that lists the teams in your state.
* Join ANTS (Americans Networking To Survive) ANTS is a unique group that forms supply chains between members so that members should not have to rely on the government for emergency supplies in a disaster. Here is their website: http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/
Here is their sub-forum here on APN: viewforum.php?f=618
* Join a local survival, preparedness, or sustainable living meetup group, or start one yourself. Meetup.com is a great social network that helps you meet others near you. APN is offering for a limited time free Meetup.com pages for our Gold members who want to start local Preppers meetups. Normally these pages are $20 a month to get started but with APN Gold membership being only $5 a month you can realize a net savings of $15 a month. Here is information on the offer: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9170

Learning
Here on the APN learning is free. Our index page (index.php) is organized and categorized so that you can browse easily by subject to find the categories you are looking for. If you dont see a topic that you are looking for you can use the search bar. If you still can't find what you are looking for, then pose a question in the appropriate category and our members are more than happy to share their knowledge.

Resources here on the forum:
* The basics section here on the forum: viewforum.php?f=616
* The Survival, preparedness, and sustainable living directory: viewforum.php?f=12

Free downloads:
* http://cd3wd.com/ (Over 4,000 titles totally over 13 gigabytes)
* http://www.preppers.info/Free_Downloads.html (Over 300 ebooks, manuals and pdfs for download or get them all on disk for free. There is a suggested donation of $2.97 to help cover shipping and handling)
* http://www.stevespages.com/page7c.htm Hundreds of military training manuals and coursebooks for download
*Here is an article on how to build your survival library for pennies on the dollar: http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.com/ ... y-for.html

Teaching
By sharing what you know on how to prepare, survive, or live sustainable you are helping others to become more self-reliant in the process. "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." The more prepared everyone is and the more self-reliant everyone is, the freer we all are. When the unprepared become prepared they are no longer a liability for everyone else. Understand the difference between being in a disaster where there is only one able bodied person who is prepared and 10 who are unprepared vs a disaster where there are 10 prepared and only one who is in need. An unprepared populace that is dependent on the Government means less freedom for YOU. Do you see how you can "Find Freedom Through Teaching Others Self-Reliance"?

Some things you can do:
*Share your knowledge on these forums. You may find it to be a fair and equitable barter when you do. If are able to learn something from others here, then repay the favor by sharing with them what you know.
*Contribute articles to the blogs. The APN and state blogs are member and reader contributed blogs. We are holding a weekly contest now: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9086
*Attend the local meetups if there are any in your community and teach your skills.

Do you have most of the bases covered already? Then reply to this post and tell us what you've been doing to prepare. You may inspire others to try something new. Good luck and Prep On!
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Virginia Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Postby NavyVet » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:16 pm

Hello North Idaho Patriot,

Thanks for putting all of those links in one place. A quick scan of them tells me I have not yet even scratched the surface of all the info that is available her on APN.

My wife and I are relative new-comers to prepping. We are still working on the basics such as a couple of good firearms and a supply of ammo, stocking up the pantry (We've probably gone from starving in less than 2 weeks to starving in about 4-6 weeks. Baby steps!), and stocking up on water to include buying bottled water from Sam's by the gallon to saving and filling up with tap water every 3 liter soda bottle that comes through my house as well as the gallon containers purchased from Sam's as we empty them.

We've also been purchasing better flashlights (CREE LED w/200 lumens, water/shock resistant) and batteries. We've purchased several books on food storage, living off the grid, gardening, and homesteading. We recently started a compost bin and plan to try our luck at some raised gardens this Spring.

The list goes on and on. Like I said, we are certainly novelists compared to many on this board, but we have to start somewhere.

I just wanted to check-in to let you know that someone from Virginia is here and reading.

Take care and good luck to everybody out there!
NavyVet
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby Mongo2010 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:54 pm

Hey all! The hubby and I are also new to the prepper scene. Although, we have made some headway thanks to a decent tax return. We now have our 3month supply in food set. We've got about 2 weeks of water, but as we have a well the hubbby doesn't want to store too much as he feels we can get what we need from our well if we needed to. We just recently got a new chicken coop for our chickens-- which will help us increase our self sufficiency a little bit more. The hubby is more the outside guy-- the chickens and garden, while I'm the inside guy with the food storage and appliances to help us cook it. lol! We are slowly but surely getting there. Although we have Sooooo much more to learn! :)
Kimberly, Virginia
Mongo2010

Postby freyadog » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:16 pm

Hey all,
Just checking in from SW Virginia.

Our tx return will go for a new grain mill. the one we have is electric.It is a big chunk of money but we feel this is a hole in our preps that we need to fill. also will pay for hay for our goats, rabbits, chickens ahead of time. More chickens are going to be bought and seed to put in the freezer for the next few seasons until we get the hang of gathering seeds from our garden.
freyadog

Postby surgassist » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:25 pm

Northern Va here!

Gathering skills and food to be bring peice of mind in case whatever I can take care of my family.

Planting peas, spinach and lettuce; making water barrels and keeping food for a few months on hand.

Have a great day!
surgassist

Postby Shenandoah » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:29 pm

Hi Virginia, Shenandoah Valley here!

I have been buying bulk of just about anything :)

Learning how to effectively vacuum seal or can as much and as many as I...can.

Other than white rice and powdered milk I am putting away just the things I will be eating in a normal diet...the rice & beans type stuff and much of this now has a 10 to 20 year shelf life now that I have packed it right.

Needless to say I have also been stockpiling as much as I can with guns and ammo. Not nearly where I want to be but between 1,000 to 5,000 rounds for everything I own, pistols, rifles shotgun and on.

Developing gardening, turning my backyard into a garden and joining in with others with a larger plot of land.

God help us if the bottom falls out in a big way...there must be 10,000 things that my grandparents did that I have no clue about doing.

Shenandoah
Shenandoah

Postby MikeH » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:54 pm

Just started a Cert class, getting the garden ready for planting. Stocking away more stores. Shooting more 3 gun matches.
I never let me schooling interfere with my education."Mark Twain"
MikeH

Postby edmondson9 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:36 pm

Hello All:
Chesapeake,Virginia Nice day today hard to think how bad it could get and how fast. Stocked up on food,water and fuel. Digesting a lot of books and online info. Have my first all organic garden going and lots of plants inside from seed started. Have a few guns would like more. Really interested in solar water heating and panels, but so expensive. Lots of wants limited resources. All for now here, good luck to all and may God bless you.
edmondson9

Postby momof4 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:09 pm

Hello Virginia Preppers,

I am still plugging away at my food reserves. I have a few things that need to go into mylar bags and buckets. I started prepping in August fortunately just missing the rush to buy freeze dried #10 cans of food. I am taking a more relaxed approach to my food stores as I am happy with the progress I have made in this short time. I will continue to buy #10 cans of food as it appears on sale. I am waiting on a solar battery charger to be delivered.

I REALLY need to work on my stores of water and get a decent filter as well.
momof4

Postby Swabby » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:11 pm

Hey Ya'll, Still here, Still Working to be as prepared as possible. Garden techniques, Communications (Ham Radio), Water storage and Sterilization. Food Storage, etc. Staying real busy these days.
Swabby

"Rest satisfied with doing well, and leave others to talk of you as they please."
Pythagoras (582 BC - 507 BC)
Swabby

Postby gadabout » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:52 pm

Greetings from the beautiful Eastern Shore of Virginia. This prepping thing is addicting isn't it. Hubby thinks I have enough but can you ever have enough? How do you know? I did the food analyzer on emergencyessentials.com and probably have about a year's supply. We have put in a solar water heater, converting from an electric stove to propane. Have a solar cooker and volcom cooker and lots of beans, bullets and bandaids. I recently took the CERT class plus CPR and first aid. My big worry is how to get water out of the well when propane for the new generator runs out. We have no fresh water around here though I did buy a katadyn combi water filter.
I do want to mention the Nissan Thermal cooker that I bought a few years ago for camping trips. You heat your food for 10 minutes on the stove then put the pot into the thermal cooker and it will continue to cook by itself all day. It's actually a crock pot; start the food in the morning, travel all day in the RV, then when you stop dinner is ready. It will be ideal to use at home when fuel is at a premium. There are other cheaper thermal cookers but they say the Nissan is the best.
gadabout

Postby NavyVet » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:08 pm

Wow! Lots of folks I haven't seen on the Virginia forum before. It's great to see some traffic on the Virginia board. I hope to talk to you all more in the future.

Stephen in Powhatan
NavyVet

Postby lenren1 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:18 pm

Greeting from the Northern Shenandoah Valley. Wish I would have paid more attention to my dad in the garden years ago. Tried one last year and some of the plants actually lived. We've been stocking for about a year now, buying when on sale. Probably have too much frozen foods. We've got a bug-in and see plan. The wife is not real outdoorsy but committed. Haven't had many converts, even family says I should have more faith. I do in GOD, not much in government. Have been reading a lot of what others are doing for ideas and plans.
lenren1

Postby NavyVet » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:19 am

Hello lenren,

I think alot of us are looking back to things our parents and grandparents did and wishing we had paid more attention. We are starting a couple of small raised gardens this year. There's no way I could do a large garden. My lack of knowledge and some logistics would both hender those attempts.

I hear you on dealing with family. I've said on here before that half of my family starts looking at me like they need to perform an intervention to save me from my own paranoia when I talk too much about prepping for things to come. I think people prefer to "have more faith" because it's easier to process than thinking about what things could be like if we don't get this ship turned around in time.

Take care and keep up the good fight!

Stephen in Powhatan
NavyVet

Postby HomesteadGal » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:06 am

Checking in....spent the past couple of months adding 1K pounds of grains and legumes to our existing food storage system. My biggest fear is a collapsed dollar and the intentional destruction of America, but there are so many other possibilities to destroy us from within that it really doesn't matter what the S is when it hits.

I used some of the down-time of Winter to pressure-can some of our beef and chicken -- adding to our shelf-ready jars of food in preparation of this busy Spring season.

Our greenhouse was opened a few weeks ago and some seeds are starting to sprout. During the warm-spell, I sowed early Snow Peas and also sowed early Pac Choi under one of our Winter Tents in the garden. Can't wait for better weather!

I am now working on an updated and better organized group of binders and also organizing some loose recipes into a better filing system. A Winter of paper overload forced my hand on this!

Finishing up a new goat barn -- work on the interior is next.

I'm still nagging the other-half for a solar well pump. Our only "problem" during the 5 day power-outage in last February's blizzard was no well water pumped in. Of course, we had tons of snow to melt.....

Would love to see this forum become very active! We need to help one another with better skill sets!
HomesteadGal

Next

Return to Check In Here Virginia Preppers