• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

To people from the Richmond area and above

Post general Virginia topics here

Moderator: simpleman

To people from the Richmond area and above

Postby Photon Guy » Mon May 09, 2016 4:01 pm

Just yesterday, Sunday, starting at about 5:00 PM I was driving home from a prepper and survivalist expo in Richmond and I was taking I-95. When driving north from Richmond the traffic was absolutely terrible to the point where the highway was more of a parking lot than a highway. The traffic was bad all the way into Maryland and through much of Maryland too. Interestingly enough though the traffic didn't look too bad going south on 95. So to you locals, why would the traffic going north from Richmond on I-95 be so bad on a Sunday afternoon/evening?
Photon Guy

Re: To people from the Richmond area and above

Postby anita » Mon May 09, 2016 5:43 pm

I'm not from Va., but I've had the same experience (coming back from soccer tournaments, or North Carolina.) In fact, I finally refused to go to the beach in NC because I couldn't take the traffic.

I can only assume that some people from the DC area have vacation/weekend houses south--Va Beach, NC, etc. It's similar to the roads around Philly once we get to Memorial Day and everyone is going to the shore for the weekend.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby rebnavy1862 » Mon May 09, 2016 6:43 pm

There are a number of reasons: Busch Gardens, Water Country USA, Williamsburg, Virginia wine country, and of course, the beaches.
We never use I 95 on any day of the week. There are many other routes that we locals use, no traffic and very scenic. I would rather drive 60 mph on a lesser known road than travel at 15 mph on I 95 while looking at the 70 mph speed limit signs.
We leave the interstates to the tourists.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Tue May 10, 2016 8:43 am

rebnavy1862 wrote:There are a number of reasons: Busch Gardens, Water Country USA, Williamsburg, Virginia wine country, and of course, the beaches.
We never use I 95 on any day of the week. There are many other routes that we locals use, no traffic and very scenic. I would rather drive 60 mph on a lesser known road than travel at 15 mph on I 95 while looking at the 70 mph speed limit signs.
Reb

More like going at 2 mph while looking at 70 mph speed limit signs. So what are some good alternate routes if you're going from Richmond to NJ? An alternate route with much less traffic would've been a good alternative this past Sunday.
Photon Guy

Postby rebnavy1862 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:30 am

Photon Guy wrote:
rebnavy1862 wrote:There are a number of reasons: Busch Gardens, Water Country USA, Williamsburg, Virginia wine country, and of course, the beaches.
Reb

More like going at 2 mph while looking at 70 mph speed limit signs. So what are some good alternate routes if you're going from Richmond to NJ? An alternate route with much less traffic would've been a good alternative this past Sunday.

Route 17 to 301 to Maryland. From there you are on your own.

I would have to look on a map, but I believe it is route 360 east out of Richmond that connects to 17 north at Tappannock.
17 north is a beautiful route with zero traffic. If you have Jersey plates, do not go much over the speed limit while in Virginia. In Maryland, stay within the limit.
That is the route I take when I am forced to go to Baltimore. Slower speed limits, but you actually make better time, and no stress.

Reb
Not a road warrior
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

rebnavy1862

Postby tidewaterva » Tue May 10, 2016 4:20 pm

I agree with Reb's recommendation of 301. You can pick up 301 off of the I-295 bypass around Richmond. The additional traffic added onto I-95 from I-64 West at Richmond is a major factor in the traffic on 95N of Richmond.
tidewaterva

Postby Photon Guy » Tue May 10, 2016 4:24 pm

rebnavy1862 wrote:I would have to look on a map, but I believe it is route 360 east out of Richmond that connects to 17 north at Tappannock.
17 north is a beautiful route with zero traffic. If you have Jersey plates, do not go much over the speed limit while in Virginia. In Maryland, stay within the limit.
That is the route I take when I am forced to go to Baltimore. Slower speed limits, but you actually make better time, and no stress.

Reb
Not a road warrior

I've got a PA plate but I usually don't speed much anyway, especially not in places such as Maryland. Making better time would also depend on the time you take the route, I would think I-95 would not be that crowded late at night or really early in the morning. So what is this thing about not speeding with Jersey plates? Do they pull over NJ drivers more often?
Photon Guy

Postby rebnavy1862 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:27 pm

Photon Guy wrote:
rebnavy1862 wrote:I would have to look on a map, but I believe it is route 360 east out of Richmond that connects to 17 north at Tappannock.

Reb
Not a road warrior

I've got a PA plate but I usually don't speed much anyway, especially not in places such as Maryland. Making better time would also depend on the time you take the route, I would think I-95 would not be that crowded late at night or really early in the morning. So what is this thing about not speeding with Jersey plates? Do they pull over NJ drivers more often?

Jersey drivers always put up an argument, which ticks off the troopers. I have led Jersey drivers right into radar traps several times. It is a sport among locals. Keeps taxes down. :D

Driving I 95 late at night is much better. My brother-in-law does it when he comes down from Maine. Just be clear of DC and Baltimore before 7 AM.
Reb

rebnavy1862

Postby Photon Guy » Tue May 10, 2016 9:10 pm

rebnavy1862 wrote:Jersey drivers always put up an argument, which ticks off the troopers. I have led Jersey drivers right into radar traps several times. It is a sport among locals. Keeps taxes down. :D

Driving I 95 late at night is much better. My brother-in-law does it when he comes down from Maine. Just be clear of DC and Baltimore before 7 AM.
Reb

So how do you lead them into speed traps? I do know radar detectors are banned in VA which I find ridiculous but how would you lead somebody into a trap? You would have to get them to speed. I am a New Jersey driver even though I've got a PA plate. I grew up in NJ and I still spend most of my time in NJ although I am technically a PA resident.

And what's in DC and Baltimore before 7 AM that I should be clear of it?
Photon Guy

Postby rebnavy1862 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:14 pm

Photon Guy wrote:
rebnavy1862 wrote:Jersey drivers always put up an argument, which ticks off the troopers. I have led Jersey drivers right into radar traps several times. It is a sport among locals. Keeps taxes down. :D

Reb

So how do you lead them into speed traps? I do know radar detectors are banned in VA which I find ridiculous but how would you lead somebody into a trap? You would have to get them to speed. I am a New Jersey driver even though I've got a PA plate. I grew up in NJ and I still spend most of my time in NJ although I am technically a PA resident.

And what's in DC and Baltimore before 7 AM that I should be clear of it?

Most people who work in DC do not live there. They commute. They leave very early in the morning. A two hour commute is quite common.

An answer to your second question:
I drive in the left lane, doing the speed limit. A Jersey plated car pulls up behind me, tailgating and flashing lights. I don't move over but speed up to 20 mph over the limit. I lead them toward the trap over the next hill. Just before the crest of the hill, I slow down to the limit.
They roar past me, flipping the bird and screaming in road rage. Bingo, right into the radar. It works every time. Road rage gets the best of them.
It is payback for not allowing me to conceal carry on my way up to Maine. It is also payback for screwing over a friend of mine for carrying a civil war cannon on a trailer passing through Jersey. I have spoken about this incident many times on this forum.
It is also war reparations for the invasion and destruction of my state 150 years ago.

Reb
I sometimes make a u-turn to go back to honk and wave at the one getting the ticket :floppytongue:

rebnavy1862

Postby Photon Guy » Tue May 10, 2016 11:12 pm

rebnavy1862 wrote:Most people who work in DC do not live there. They commute. They leave very early in the morning. A two hour commute is quite common.

An answer to your second question:
I drive in the left lane, doing the speed limit. A Jersey plated car pulls up behind me, tailgating and flashing lights. I don't move over but speed up to 20 mph over the limit. I lead them toward the trap over the next hill. Just before the crest of the hill, I slow down to the limit.
They roar past me, flipping the bird and screaming in road rage. Bingo, right into the radar. It works every time. Road rage gets the best of them.
It is payback for not allowing me to conceal carry on my way up to Maine. It is also payback for screwing over a friend of mine for carrying a civil war cannon on a trailer passing through Jersey. I have spoken about this incident many times on this forum.
It is also war reparations for the invasion and destruction of my state 150 years ago.

Reb
I sometimes make a u-turn to go back to honk and wave at the one getting the ticket :floppytongue:

Hey don't blame all of us New Jerseyans for restricting concealed carry and for all the gun phobia in the state, some of us are absolutely against it and as of now we've even got a pro gun governor but the problem is there is just too much gun phobia in NJ. Not much I can do about it and not much my pro gun friends in NJ can do about it, even our governor. And yes I did hear that stupid story about that guy who was given grief for carrying a concealed weapon when he put a tarp over his cannon because he didn't want it to get rained on. Shows you how messed up things are in NJ. Just about anything that shoots is considered a firearm including BB guns and even the slingshot is banned in NJ. Lots of former NJ residents have been so fed up with it that they've left. I am glad to now be a PA resident.

Anyway, concerning road rage, I would be careful with some of those NJ drivers, in extreme cases of road rage they might take out a gun and start shooting. Guns are hard to get in NJ but lots of people get them illegally and despite having really strict gun laws the crime rate in NJ is really high and its the criminals that get the guns illegally and those are the kinds of people that would shoot at you in road rage. There are lots of crooks in NJ.

So if you make trips up to Maine I might recommend avoiding NJ entirely on your route. It will take longer but you could go through PA instead, much more gun friendly there and the people there are just all around nicer. Unfortunately you will still have to go through NY which isn't much better than NJ.
Photon Guy

Postby rebnavy1862 » Wed May 11, 2016 6:44 am

Photon, I was just joking with you. I don't hate all Jersey people. However, it is irritating to have them come flying through our quiet rural county as if they own the roads. Many do, and they leave the county a few hundred dollars lighter.

I'd much rather drive through PA. They are very similar to Virginians. Now, if there was any way to avoid getting close to NYC.

Reb

rebnavy1862

Postby Photon Guy » Wed May 11, 2016 9:36 am

The only way to avoid NY while going to Maine would be to fly, or you could take the ocean route and take a boat but that would take much longer. If you're going on land you would have to go through NY or you could take a really long detour and go through Canada but that is far worse, Canada makes NY and NJ look like VA and PA.

As for people who go flying through roads as you mentioned yes NJ drivers sometimes do that but you should see what some bikers do. There were times when I was driving at 70 and the bikers were passing me as if I was standing still. Truckers can be worse, not all truckers but some.
Photon Guy

Postby keebler » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:27 am

Happy Independence Day to All Americans & welcome to all the New Americans that will be sworn in “Today.
God bless America,
keebler.
retired,solar,camper,rural living.
keebler

Postby keebler » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:38 am

this weekend, nothing important happened in Virginia I just waste my time coming here.
retired,solar,camper,rural living.
keebler

Next

Return to Virginia Discussion, News and Weather