• Advertisement

Prepping Fatigue?

Post general Virginia topics here

Moderator: simpleman

Re: Prepping Fatigue?

Postby IceFire » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:32 pm

There are a LOT more people "prepping" than either "stats" or forum participation would indicate. For example, in my area, from what I've seen, and conversations I've had, probably a MINIMUM of 25% (and I think that the percentage is actually much higher). In my old neighborhood, at least half of the families there prepped. It's about the same percentage at my church. However, I'm the ONLY one I know of that is actually active on the forums (although there are a few who "lurk".) Also, many don't call it "prepping"...either they say they're "homesteading", or they're farming/ranching, or it's just "everyday living".

People ARE prepping...a LOT more of them than you think. They're just not talking about it.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
User avatar
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 10069
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Baja Arizona
Karma: 147

Re: Prepping Fatigue?

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:02 pm

I don't know about others but I grew up "prepping", have done it all my life. We lived in the country,
we always put stuff back to eat, back then it was feast and famine. I continued after growing up was
a way of life to me, always has been. Not my husband so much. Had a lot of years nowhere to have
a garden then in Texas 15 years plus ago I started planting one again. It was so hot and dry there, hard
to do, had to irrigate but still canned.

Have been doing it well over 20 years now, could not as much this year as I had, hope to feel better
next planting season.

They say more people are canning then ever, don't know if that's true but sure see lots of canning
supplies in stores now, so they must be selling. Lots of folks my age no longer can or choose not to
so I don't know.

It's an art, my DIL says she is interested but its lots of hard work and I'm not sure she will do it, time
will tell. Would love to pass gardening, canning, and sewing on to her. They did it in Russia but her
mom didn't show her how.

So I don't call it prepping, just our lifestyle. Same with hubby and all his DIY, just our way of life, we
are fairly self sustaining and could be moreso if we needed to be.
PatrioticStabilist
 
Posts: 3419
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:33 am
Location: Southwestern Indiana
Karma: 39

Re: Prepping Fatigue?

Postby Drunkenchef » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:54 pm

IceFire wrote:There are a LOT more people "prepping" than either "stats" or forum participation would indicate. For example, in my area, from what I've seen, and conversations I've had, probably a MINIMUM of 25% (and I think that the percentage is actually much higher). In my old neighborhood, at least half of the families there prepped. It's about the same percentage at my church. However, I'm the ONLY one I know of that is actually active on the forums (although there are a few who "lurk".) Also, many don't call it "prepping"...either they say they're "homesteading", or they're farming/ranching, or it's just "everyday living".

People ARE prepping...a LOT more of them than you think. They're just not talking about it.



What is the "First Rule" of Fight Club?
The same ought be said about prepping!
User avatar
Drunkenchef
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:12 pm
Karma: 0

Re: Prepping Fatigue?

Postby blueoctober » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:26 am

We are out here. We are just quiet.
blueoctober
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:14 am
Location: Gainesville, Virginia
Karma: 0

Re: Prepping Fatigue?

Postby Drunkenchef » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:18 am

blueoctober wrote:We are out here. We are just quiet.


That is the way that it ought to be!
I am sure you have noticed by now of how the media and leftist politicians are leading the smear campaign against preppers, homesteaders, and other people that want to be prepared and live a self-sustaining and self-sufficient lifestyle (unless you are a hippie or a Moslem).

According to people like Nancy Pelosi, I am considered a "potential terrorist" because I am a veteran. You can add, white, straight, pro-American, Christian, and conservative. Looks like I fulfill the criteria to be one someone's watch list. Yet, the only run-ins with the law I've had are a couple of speeding tickets,

Nevertheless, it makes it really hard to meet new folks.
User avatar
Drunkenchef
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:12 pm
Karma: 0

Re: Prepping Fatigue?

Postby 3ADScout » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:45 am

"Prepping" is one person's definition/vision of prepping and being prepared the same as everyone else's? So i have friends that think having a BOB with 3 days of stuff (mostly made in China) is being prepared. IMHO that is just prepping to live 3 days longer than a non-Prepper. I have always view prepping (survivalism back in the day), as a life style. As I have gotten older and income/resources have changed we have been able to up our game. As Angie_nrs said - slow and steady wins the race. Is prepping a fad? For some I'm sure it is; person who watches the Walking Dead and buys a machete and the 3 day BOB with junk in it is Definately in this category or else very delusional as to what is needed to survive all the various calamities that could befall us. Then you have the west coast earthquake preppers and the east coast hurricane preppers- okay they can survival 2 weeks longer than the non-Prepper. The way I see it if you aren't making preps that allow you to renew and re-supply yourself with food, water, heat, etc then your survival time will be limited, not that having a re-supply capability is a guarantee of survival longer but when you run out of water your life is down to a few days. Those who think re-supply will be done via scavenging runs like on the walking dead etc are going to be sorely mistaken. Let's take the walking dead situation- okay how many resources/calories are they expending to get a can of spam? I love it when they find a warehouse full of food 3 years after the apocalypse, like the people who worked there and there families didn't know there was food there? Like the neighbors who had to resorts to scavenging/looting on day 3 of the disaster did look there? Come on folks.

Do I slow or speed up prepping based on current events- why yes I do!!! That is just smart!!!
If Kim un fat kid is tossing about ICBMs and setting of nukes and I got an extra $30 in my pocket do I pick up a 50 pound bag of rice and a box of red dried beans yep. If the world situation is "okay" then I save that $30 to look for deals at the flea market or clearance sections at the stores I shop. Just my two cents
3ADScout
 
Posts: 1383
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:28 am
Karma: 31

Re: Prepping Fatigue?

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Since I am left leaning and listen to other then Fox also, I should be hearing all this anti prepper, etc rhectoric. Somehow I
am missing it, can someone direct me toward the media written and verbal I should be listening to? It must be some extreme
left wing deal kind of like the extreme right wing ones that are doing it. Just want to be better informed. Actually I hear no
talk one way or another about it.

As far as Korea, that scares me, son in S Korea says he is no diplomat, but talking to a nut case like Kim the way we are is
not the way to defuse that mess. Trump is pushing for war and that scares the hell out of me. Like DIL says, she is Russian,
she said China and Russia will side together and possibly India, I don't see us being able to take on 2 world powers like that
alone. We have alienated almost everyone else. I find this very worrisome and am adding more and more to my store rooms.
PatrioticStabilist
 
Posts: 3419
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:33 am
Location: Southwestern Indiana
Karma: 39

Re: Prepping Fatigue?

Postby Drunkenchef » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:15 am

PatrioticStabilist wrote:Since I am left leaning and listen to other then Fox also, I should be hearing all this anti prepper, etc rhectoric. Somehow I
am missing it, can someone direct me toward the media written and verbal I should be listening to? It must be some extreme
left wing deal kind of like the extreme right wing ones that are doing it. Just want to be better informed. Actually I hear no
talk one way or another about it.

As far as Korea, that scares me, son in S Korea says he is no diplomat, but talking to a nut case like Kim the way we are is
not the way to defuse that mess. Trump is pushing for war and that scares the hell out of me. Like DIL says, she is Russian,
she said China and Russia will side together and possibly India, I don't see us being able to take on 2 world powers like that
alone. We have alienated almost everyone else. I find this very worrisome and am adding more and more to my store rooms.


This may be old...but people it is still held true.
I was stationed in South Korea and I wasn't a privileged diplomat either. If North Korea decided to invade...we are nothing more than little speed bumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OW3w3MpBD8
User avatar
Drunkenchef
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:12 pm
Karma: 0

Re: Prepping Fatigue?

Postby idahobeef » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:44 am

The people I know who prep just arent talking about it :/
User avatar
idahobeef
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:35 pm
Location: Kennewick, WA
Karma: 8

Re: Prepping Fatigue?

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:07 am

I pray son gets out of there before it hits but don't think he can, they have pushed
his leave date to almost a week or two before he is to report to his duty station
in the US in January. I'm scared sh****less, though I'm trying not to let on to him.
He is only 12 miles from the north.

He is also civilian and being replaced by military but they don't want to let him
leave.
PatrioticStabilist
 
Posts: 3419
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:33 am
Location: Southwestern Indiana
Karma: 39

Re: Prepping Fatigue?

Postby keebler » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:43 am

prepper show Doswell,Va october 21-22..2017

SGK Prepper Show | Doswell, Va October 21-22
www.emergencyprepperexpo.com/the-meadow ... doswell-va
SGK Emergency Prepper Expo. Home · For Attendees · For Exhibitors · Calendar of Events ... October 21-22, 2017. The Meadow Event Park. Doswell, Virginia ..
retired,solar,camper,rural living.
keebler
 
Posts: 329
Images: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:38 pm
Location: Ashland area.,,Va.
Karma: 0

Re: Prepping Fatigue?

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:36 am

As far as troubles in the world, always has been always will be. Don't think that will ever change.

Last night our electric went out for 6 hours, unusual anymore. But I lay there thinking what if the
lights didn't come back on again and realized even with all we have put back how really vulnerable
we are. When you are relying solely on what you have prepped unless you have tons of stuff back
it wouldn't last long enough.

Also thinking about those with nothing back and how quickly they would have to start stealing
to survive, its a sobering thought. If we were raising a family and not old I likely would be redoubling
our efforts, but age and health do effect those efforts at least of raising our own. This year have
added more store bought goods then ever, not happy about it but became necessary. At least its
components of dishes and not a lot of processed foods, things like canned stewed tomatoes and
various varieties of canned foods to be used in food prep.

We will continue to do what we can and know that no matter what we are still better prepared then
the bulk of the population and hope its not necessary except for bad winters.
PatrioticStabilist
 
Posts: 3419
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:33 am
Location: Southwestern Indiana
Karma: 39

Re: Prepping Fatigue?

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:29 am

PatrioticStabilist wrote:As far as troubles in the world, always has been always will be. Don't think that will ever change.

Last night our electric went out for 6 hours, unusual anymore. But I lay there thinking what if the
lights didn't come back on again and realized even with all we have put back how really vulnerable
we are. When you are relying solely on what you have prepped unless you have tons of stuff back
it wouldn't last long enough.

Also thinking about those with nothing back and how quickly they would have to start stealing
to survive, its a sobering thought. If we were raising a family and not old I likely would be redoubling
our efforts, but age and health do effect those efforts at least of raising our own. This year have
added more store bought goods then ever, not happy about it but became necessary. At least its
components of dishes and not a lot of processed foods, things like canned stewed tomatoes and
various varieties of canned foods to be used in food prep.

We will continue to do what we can and know that no matter what we are still better prepared then
the bulk of the population and hope its not necessary except for bad winters.



in alot of ways the older preppers are prepping for "family" - whatever is left of civilization after the shakeout will need re-forming and some kind of leadership .... do you want some of the current total jackazz liberals making those decisions based on their personal morals, values and integrity? - having a freehand to shape the future civilization & community ...
Illini Warrior
User avatar
Illini Warrior
 
Posts: 2594
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:40 pm
Karma: 54

Re: Prepping Fatigue?

Postby fren2ken » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:06 pm

Drunkenchef wrote:
IceFire wrote:There are a LOT more people "prepping" than either "stats" or forum participation would indicate. For example, in my area, from what I've seen, and conversations I've had, probably a MINIMUM of 25% (and I think that the percentage is actually much higher). In my old neighborhood, at least half of the families there prepped. It's about the same percentage at my church. However, I'm the ONLY one I know of that is actually active on the forums (although there are a few who "lurk".) Also, many don't call it "prepping"...either they say they're "homesteading", or they're farming/ranching, or it's just "everyday living".

People ARE prepping...a LOT more of them than you think.


I agree. As I have stated in my blog "It's Really Quiet Out Here", posting on this site has decreased significantly ... myself included. The last year has been insanely busy. Now that I have achieved having the Basics, it is time for me to concentrate on enhancements to them.

It is my firm conviction that the majority of peeps that are disposed to Prep have achieved their initial goals and are now settling into working their Long-Term plan and adding the "comfort" preps to their stash. The non-serious peeps, i.e. Panic Preppers, have forgotten all about it since the world didn't end in 2012. I bet that the folks in/near Texas, Porto Rico, and Florida either are glad that they prepared or, have a new "religion".
"Prepare for the worst, hope for the best"

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

If one doesn't learn from the Past, then they are sure to repeat it. Is that the way we want to go?
User avatar
fren2ken
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network
 
Posts: 188
Images: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:27 pm
Location: Eastern Panhandle, WV
Karma: 13

Re: Prepping Fatigue?

Postby sageprice » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:32 pm

Let me put you at ease. Prepping is a life style change. It is a homestead oriented style that is more DO IT YOURSELF than buy it and store it in the closet. You change your tires in prep for the winter. You change your oil to maintain your vehicle. You change your furnace filter to enjoy the clean hot or cold air. Then why not change your habits to include fresh veggies from the garden, Canned produce that wasn't contaminated with chemicals. Home security that isn't dependent on a third party. A water source that you dn't have to pay for or can be cut off. How can you get fatigued by doing what is natural and dependable.
User avatar
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network
 
Posts: 1297
Images: 0
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 7:22 pm
Location: Northern AA county Maryland
Karma: 63

PreviousNext

Return to Virginia Discussion, News and Weather

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for the APN Email Newsletter - Enter your e-mail address below


  Links and Resources
  -Links
  -Podcasts
  -Free Ebooks



Trusted Sponsors









Copyright
For Notices of Copyright infringement and to contact our DMCA Agent please follow the link below:
Copyright Policy

For terms of use, rules, and policies please read our Disclaimer