• Advertisement

Prepping Fatigue?

Post general Virginia topics here

Moderator: simpleman

Prepping Fatigue?

Postby Drunkenchef » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:35 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that “prepping” isn’t what it used to be. Activity on this website, as well as many others…seems to be on the decline. Due to the fact that the Mayan Calendar of 2012 turned out to be nothing more than hype…just like Y2K. I am sure many people profited from other people’s fears from instances such as this.

Thanks to pop culture, show such as “Doomsday Preppers” and “The Walking Dead” created a fan base to another passing fad. People are like lemmings and follow anything that they consider as “cool”. People such as this have an attention span of a three-year old and will quickly latch on to the next passing craze. Ghosthunting? Prepping? What’s next? Teaching your pre-teen daughter how to twerk to rap videos perhaps?

Prepping seems to have come to screeching halt upon the election of President Trump. Many think that there is no reason to prep now and everything is ok. I strongly question the intelligence of such people. President Trump may be pro-American and not a gun-grabber, but it certainly does not mean that our threats have diminished. Enemies foreign and domestic have come out of the woodwork and made their presence known.
To compel matters, Mother Nature seems to have become fully-active and vengeful.

People have given up on prepping, or think it is a waste of time and money, might need to re-asses their current situation. Prepping is hobby to some…which by definition it is…but I see it as a necessity. If didn’t see the need…I’d be spending my time playing video games and drinking beer. Those of us who take the time to get our collectives heads out of the sand and see what it going on around us, would see that we live during uncertain times. We should not live in fear, but in a constant state of preparedness. At the time of this posting, Puerto Rico is completely without power, and it may be several months before the electrical grid is back up and running. It was old and vulnerable to begin with…so perhaps they will get a new one. Nevertheless, this is a prime example of what can happen to us, or anyone else in the world. I strongly encourage everyone to be self-reliant, self-sufficient, and to help others if you can. Keep in mind that local, state, and federal governments main concern is self-preservation. No one is coming to rescue you if others are going to be at risk, or if resources are needed elsewhere.

In ending, now is not the time to be caught with your pants down around your ankles.
Prep now when the timing is good.
Complacency kills!

End of rant.
Drunkenchef

Re: Prepping Fatigue?

Postby NJMike » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:15 pm

Prepping as a fad may have jumped the shark. I wouldn't jump to a conclusion that prepping has fallen by the wayside. If anything, I feel there's been more activity on disaster fundamentals, before and during our recent catastrophes.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:35 pm

I would say that prepping came to a screeching halt or at least a sharp decline during the Clinton administration. It was during the Reagan administration that prepping was at an all time high what with the threat of the cold war and all but after the USSR was disbanded prepping became less popular and then when Clinton took office and the country became very liberal prepping hit an all time low. I would say it was not until 9/11 that prepping really made a resurgence. As of now, with the threat of North Korea, I would say prepping is making a comeback and it might in time equal or even bypass prepping during the Reagan administration.
Photon Guy

Postby rickdun » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:48 pm

I believe there are more preppers then you think, they just don't advertise it or join any online groups.

Here's a list of preppers by state rankings, if you can believe the stats:

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/retreat-l ... opulation/
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby farmer_dude48 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:24 pm

I think are still a large amount of folks still prepping myself included , but after a couple of family members telling me if shtf they are coming to my house I don't talk to anybody anymore... I Love my in-laws it would be a shame to have to shoot them lol
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby angie_nrs » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:22 pm

I really don't know what others are doing and I don't worry too much about them. They're gonna do what they're gonna do no matter what I think anyways. I myself have had periods of prepping fatigue. During the summer I typically don't give it a whole lotta thought or attention. Then in the fall I usually ramp it up. For me, it's kinda like dollar cost averaging. I spend a bit here and there but don't usually dump a bunch of money all at once.....slow and steady wins the race and helps me to not get too overwhelmed. That said, I do have quite a trip planned for tomorrow to add to my preps. I also have projects lined up for fall, that would have been too hot to do in the summer.

Even when I slack I still take some comfort in the fact that I have accomplished some things. I will never be 100% ready for everything but I know I'm way ahead of where I was just a few years ago.....and likely ahead of most of my neighbors, but who knows?
angie_nrs

Postby Yeti_2015 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:41 pm

Everyone I think has that feeling, I do now that I'm out in the middle of no where. I dont trust any stats on prepping due to most, like people has said, they dont talk to much about it.
“Talk low, talk slow, and don’t say too much.”
–John Wayne

“Everyone has a plan ’till they get punched in the mouth.”
-Mike Tyson
Yeti_2015
Oklahoma Preppers Network
Oklahoma Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:03 pm

I think being prepared is alive and well, but the cutesy stuff like the perfect BOB may have taken a few hits! Hallelujah? After ten thousand wannabes write books and articles rehashing the SOS, it gets real old! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby ajax727 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:21 pm

In a way I will agree the mass media has driven a few to prep but there are a few of us that have been at it for years and are in good shape if things go down hill . There is a lot of trouble in the world today and that is the main reason I will keep adding to our preps . I talk more here than other places and now I don't talk to others people that much anymore .I know of other locals that prep but we don't talk that much only when we see each other in town , feed store , or local gas station .
Some are fly by night or just as a trend but the few that stay the coarse are still on coarse and understand what could happen at anytime . Money gets tight and that slows down prepping , sickness ,accidents , or just things happen and they all effect prepping . Like myself I did not plant a big garden this year due to health reasons but I still added items as I could . I did not can things but I added can goods veggies , fish , meats .
On a side note with all the spying that is being done some just want to remain in the shadows .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby bacpacker1513 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:18 pm

IMHO prepping fluctuates on a regular basis. Prepping won't stick well by itself. To me if you make it a lifestyle and live your life, but do things regularly(much like folks in the 1800's did) and it takes on a different look and feel. It also gets you uch more ready for what may come. But regardless what happens some folks that prep will not make it, Some that didn't will. about all you can do is try and stack the odds in you favor and hope for the best.
Greater Love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.
John 15:13
bacpacker1513
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby founderant » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:42 am

Prepping is still strong, but the terms people use are changing. Emergency preparedness is what most people will say their into now. It's doesn't have the stigma of the Doomesday Prepper show stuck to it even though they mean the same thing. What is a Prepper? A person who prepares ahead of time for disasters.
Americans Networking To Survive
http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/
founderant
A.N.T.S. Founder
A.N.T.S. Founder

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:51 pm

I gave myself some time to think about this and talked with hubs about it.
Prepping does have an ebb and flow to it, like life. We know folks who have stopped all together, folks who still putter along and those who have advanced on to a homestead lifestyle. I have noticed other terms such as homesteading, self sufficient and independent living to name a few.
Also agree that some folks just stopped talking about it due to OPSEC, ridicule and peer pressure.

As far as APN, we stopped posting and visiting years ago when the politics got so very nasty. Hubs said it had to do with content as well. This site has always had a problem of not being very welcoming to new folks. Old timers saying, oh we've talked that to death already go to the archives. Not to mention high jacking of threads - some people treat this like their own personal Facebook page, talking about their health problems on a thread meant for preparing for North Korea. Not that we don't care, just don't high jack threads. I've been back because I like to interact with other Preppers, get their opinions, learn new things. And hope that I can bring something of value as well.

We live the lifestyle and we have influenced others around us to start their journey of being prepared. People do notice and pay attention. We can't convert everyone but we are still growing in number I think.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby handyman777 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:00 pm

I'm still at it, maybe not as hard as the past.
I think knowledge is your biggest asset

There is always something more you may feel you need and I'm sure there are things I can use, but I can say that i'm prepared.

You just have to know how to use the preps you have and replace them if needed.

As far as other people prepping, if they haven't figured it out by now, well good luck.
With everything going on in this world you need to be prepared.
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby Blondie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:32 pm

Agreeing with Mrs. FP, Prepping is something that evolves with your needs.

Once you have your basics then you consider your future plans based on needs and wants. I went to acquiring durable goods about 2 yrs ago. Now I'm looking to plan my activities gearing up for retirement down the road. What will my future needs be and how to plan ?

It's been awfully quiet, in fact too quiet for me. Can't help but think something large scale is being planned.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby Cin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:27 pm

And it could be that a lot of us have prepped for years, and use this forum to give and take away ideas.

As for Husband and I, we moved to the BOL, spent a couple years wresting the shelter out of the woods, put in a good supply of wood for our cheap wood stove, got a garden started, built on extra room for storage, built some new cabinets for more storage, and just took care of making the BOL as work-free as possible, but at the same time, re-thinking some of our first ideas and changing things around for more convenience. I did a lot of prepping via yardsales, because we didn't have a lot of money at the beginning, due to the building of the house. I recycled candles, bought used goods for pennies on the dollar, recycled yard sale fabric for family cloths, tote bags for tents, and even made items I sold to add more money for preps.

The lifepro tip is to prep with what you have now...and when you get a little money or are in a phase where you can upgrade, then do so.

We initially grew a big garden, gathered canning supplies, and canned what we couldn't eat fresh. We also bought dry goods in bulk, tools to cook them with, and so on. I bought a lot of off-grid cooking tools at yard sales so I could cook without modern conveniences if necessary. I also practiced making stuff from scratch - bread, especially, but other things I didn't know how to cook well.

Now, our garden is smaller, due to our traveling summer lifestyle, and rather than can, we started receiving a small monthly pension we forgot about, and we started upgrading some of the stuff we initially bought - a better stove, more freeze dried food, solar lights, and so on.

Prepping is still an everyday part of our lives, but we aren't as frantic about it now - we have a good supply of what we need food-wise, our BOL is as prepped as we can make it as far as space, storage areas, and convenience, and now, we're concentrating on the luxuries - checking out solar, working on getting the gennie rigged in a better place than it is now, building cat shelters for our outdoor mousers, considering a carport, and so on.

We just revamped a bathroom with more cabinets, solely to store more preps of the medicinal variety. We had plenty before, but I tossed a lot at the 10-year mark, and am rebuilding the supply again. It's really nice to have a dedicated space for it.

When you think you're done prepping, think outside the box - look around and see if you can make things easier, more convenient, or better in some way than they are now.
Cin

Next

Return to Virginia Discussion, News and Weather