• Advertisement

Nevada Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Please introduce yourself here

Nevada Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:05 pm

The American Preppers Network is conducting a network-wide roll call.

Nevada Preppers, please reply to this post and let us know what you are doing to prep.

Are you new or not sure where to start?

Here are a few tips

Networking
The APN focuses heavily on promoting our state groups at the regional and local levels, more so than most forums. Here is the State Network directory, use it to get to know and communicate with others near you.
viewforum.php?f=36

Some other things you can do:
* Check in to your states group at least once or twice a week to help keep your local groups active
* See a storm or disaster in your area? Post about it and let others know
* Find a good deal at a local merchant? Tell us about it.
* Join your local CERT teams. Each state directory has a link that lists the teams in your state.
* Join ANTS (Americans Networking To Survive) ANTS is a unique group that forms supply chains between members so that members should not have to rely on the government for emergency supplies in a disaster. Here is their website: http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/
Here is their sub-forum here on APN: viewforum.php?f=618
* Join a local survival, preparedness, or sustainable living meetup group, or start one yourself. Meetup.com is a great social network that helps you meet others near you. APN is offering for a limited time free Meetup.com pages for our Gold members who want to start local Preppers meetups. Normally these pages are $20 a month to get started but with APN Gold membership being only $5 a month you can realize a net savings of $15 a month. Here is information on the offer: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9170

Learning
Here on the APN learning is free. Our index page (index.php) is organized and categorized so that you can browse easily by subject to find the categories you are looking for. If you dont see a topic that you are looking for you can use the search bar. If you still can't find what you are looking for, then pose a question in the appropriate category and our members are more than happy to share their knowledge.

Resources here on the forum:
* The basics section here on the forum: viewforum.php?f=616
* The Survival, preparedness, and sustainable living directory: viewforum.php?f=12

Free downloads:
* http://cd3wd.com/ (Over 4,000 titles totally over 13 gigabytes)
* http://www.preppers.info/Free_Downloads.html (Over 300 ebooks, manuals and pdfs for download or get them all on disk for free. There is a suggested donation of $2.97 to help cover shipping and handling)
* http://www.stevespages.com/page7c.htm Hundreds of military training manuals and coursebooks for download
*Here is an article on how to build your survival library for pennies on the dollar: http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.com/ ... y-for.html

Teaching
By sharing what you know on how to prepare, survive, or live sustainable you are helping others to become more self-reliant in the process. "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." The more prepared everyone is and the more self-reliant everyone is, the freer we all are. When the unprepared become prepared they are no longer a liability for everyone else. Understand the difference between being in a disaster where there is only one able bodied person who is prepared and 10 who are unprepared vs a disaster where there are 10 prepared and only one who is in need. An unprepared populace that is dependent on the Government means less freedom for YOU. Do you see how you can "Find Freedom Through Teaching Others Self-Reliance"?

Some things you can do:
*Share your knowledge on these forums. You may find it to be a fair and equitable barter when you do. If are able to learn something from others here, then repay the favor by sharing with them what you know.
*Contribute articles to the blogs. The APN and state blogs are member and reader contributed blogs. We are holding a weekly contest now: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9086
*Attend the local meetups if there are any in your community and teach your skills.

Do you have most of the bases covered already? Then reply to this post and tell us what you've been doing to prepare. You may inspire others to try something new. Good luck and Prep On!
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Nevada Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Postby Tayluca » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:13 am

Checking in as requested. My prepping focus lately has been on reducing my debt in preparation for a home purchase, learning about creating things in the home instead of buying commercially (soaps, house cleaning products, etc) and slowly building up my stocks by purchasing in bulk. I am new to the extreme in prepping so starting slowly. I'm also learning how to garden, preserve foods, and cook, three important skills that I never really learned before.
Tayluca
Nevada Preppers Network
Nevada Preppers Network

Postby Jerry D Young » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:49 pm

Jerry D Young here in Reno. Basic preps for about two months. Working on extending that and acquiring CBNRE protective equipment.
Jerry D Young
Jerry D Young

Postby shiebalove » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:02 pm

Pretty well prepared out here in the desert but am still concerned about weather extremes of cold and heat if things went bad. I know I need more water but am OK with food and such and the means to keep it mine :gunsmile: . I have good neighbors and would share with one of them in return for a extra hand/security of the property. Thoughts always welcome. Thanks
shiebalove

Postby wcallahan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:11 pm

Checking in - Continuing basic preps for food storage This quarter I'm doing near term storage (<6 months) with six buckets, Mylar bags, O2 absorbers, and Gamma Lids. This near term storage will allow easy entry into buckets for bulk items. BOV preparations, and Debt reduction. Actively looking for land within 75 miles of Las Vegas.
wcallahan

Postby heartkneeNV » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:27 am

I have taken the tactic of actually timing how far I can get out of Vegas on one tank of gas, and how I can get up to an area I have ready in southern Idaho. I have relations who kindly taught me the aspects of handling a shotgun, and the next thing is how to figure out how to kill a chicken, make my currrent food stock from 2 weeks to 4 weeks, and to procure more emergency medical stock. I was very diligent for about 6 months, then got lazy, but have more energy to pick it up again. Will start going to LV meetups for prepping. May meet some of you folks there!
heartkneeNV

Postby Deadmeat99 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:20 am

First post to this forum, but I figure I'd check in. I'm up in Reno, and doing as much as I can to be prepared while living in the city. I can't afford to purchase a BOL at this point, so emergency plans for now are to hunker down, keep as low a profile as possible, and see what happens. We've got stored food, water, defensive options, emergency power system (enough to power a few lights and my communications gear), and the beginnings of a garden. I find myself looking more for training these days to build/maintain skills, rather than buying more "stuff".
Deadmeat99

Postby bcamp007 » Sat May 07, 2011 11:05 pm

I'm in Henderson NV. I have a lot of stuff to take care of myself. Looking for others in remote area outside of Vegas in southern NV or Utah who are interested in building a small community, or who could use my help with one already in progress.
Ben
bcamp007

Postby ErinRenee » Sat May 14, 2011 5:48 pm

Hey There! I just found you guys. Now, I have always been about living in the old ways if possible. With 4 kids in the house who are addicted to TV/Games/music and friends, it is not easy. Even trying to plan a bare bones camping trip ain't easy!
I live in Carson City on the south side where people all have small acreage. We have two horses. I take them out a few times a week, whether walking or packing out. My big Quarter Horse mare was a SAR trained horse.. and she is a DREAM! Then I have a little over a year old mustang filly out of the Calico Range. She has been learning to carry her surcingle and wool saddle pad. She is doing great and we will be getting a pack saddle OR a riding saddle pannier set for her. This is part of my bug out idea.. if we cannot get cars to go or what not, I know I can pack to Utah and be ok. That being said.. we still have a large family.. so it would be our horses packed down and us on foot. Anyhoo, this is one thing I feel that is important. I have about 3 months of food storage. And a large garden TRYING to grow. If it ever stays warm, we should be ok.
I have water bought in bottles and tap saved under cabinets in case we lose power. No power.. no water, as we are in a rented house with a well.
If we owned it, we would make sure we could hand pump, or get the generator hooked up.
I have been combing local thrift stores and yard sales for camping gear and have a bunch of stuff saved up in case we need to book it out of our fair city, and plenty of stuff to get us through if we have some sort of collapse or disaster and we can stay here.
That is what I am doing, and I am glad to have found some rather local preppers. It doesn't matter what is coming.. it is gonna be something at some point and I feel in my life time.
That's me checking in!
Thanks, Erin Renee
ErinRenee

Postby ErinRenee » Sat May 14, 2011 5:53 pm

I forgot to add the Radiation detector and the chem suits we bought.. the bug out kits have the water tablets in it.. survival blankets, survival gear, emergency aid kits.. car kits and basic needs stuff. Still, I look at some of the videos and realize we are still not thinking in all areas.. I still do not have cashed stashed away, and I need to do a basic clothing pack for each kid and the hubby.. good times!
E.
ErinRenee

Postby DesertDweller » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:13 am

Hello! Checking in here for the first time. Currently in Vegas. Started prepping 6 months ago, purchased 2 acres in AZ, about 50 miles from Vegas in January. Bought a vacuum sealer, and have been sealing and storing dry goods, canned goods, vitamins and over the counter medicines. If and when SHTF, we'll go to the desert. We're so under water on the house, we figured it's time to put a dwelling on that land, pay cash for it, and be mortgage free and self sustained. Since we both have online businesses, we can earn a living anywhere.

There are certainly a few special concerns about being in the desert, can't exactly garden out there. If anyone has info on solar panels and the cost of them, we'd like to know. Our first acre has city water and power, but we'd prefer to be off the grid.

Just wanted to check in, and be seen. If more are seen and post, more will come, and we can exchange ideas about the uniqueness of desert dwelling.
My name is Hope, pleased to meet you all! :)
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire" ~Charles Bukowski~
DesertDweller
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby usmc61 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:39 am

I am a retired first responder and have been prepping most of my life but only recently getting serious about it. We have four families that are meeting once a month and planning out what we would do and how to get prepared. We have started food storage and all of us are prior military and know how and have the means to protect ourselves. We are constantly looking for ideas and welcome all.
usmc61

Postby DesertDweller » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:03 pm

Welcome, USMC61. Perhaps you'd like to tell other Nevada members about your meetups? Location/Time, etc?
Thanks,
Hope
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire" ~Charles Bukowski~
DesertDweller
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby SeniorRose » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:00 pm

...Hello, NV Preppers! & All Of The Above...I'm A NLV Prepper & Would Like To Know Of Any Scheduled Meetings In The South Or North Also...
...In The Meantime...Buy Wise For Your Surplus Before The Dollar Drops...The Challenge Won't Be Racing To The Grocery Before The Shelves Are Empty...There Will Be Plenty Food But Those Inflated Prices On Those Grocery Shelves Will Stop You Dead In Your Tracks.......This Will Give A New Identity To The Words "Hunger"/"Starvation"...
SeniorRose

Postby LVKINGG » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:25 am

Well, better to check in half a year late than not at all! I just got set up in the network and am going through the forums.

I've been in prep mode for a few years, but have stepped things up considerably in recent months. Money has alway been scarce for me, so I have adopted my prep tactics to focus largely on acquiring skills and basic needs. I have an extensive prep library (several hundred titles) which has given me a lot of "book smarts" on the subject, but I have been ramping up my practical skills since my retirement from the Air Force back in March. To name a few, I have completed a great gardening season using the container method and have succeeded in canning a majority of that harvest. I have a big batch of saurkraut that is aging in a fermentation crock and am beginning two barrels of home-made vinegar.

I am in the process now of bulking up on the "Mormon Four" (Wheat, Powdered Milk, Honey and Salt) as a basis for my food storage program, supplemented with canned goods, freeze-dried stuff from Walton Feed and of course my own bottled veggies. Presently I have enough supplies to last 3 or four months for four people, and will be adding to that until I get to at least a 2-year supply.

Personal gear and weapons are in good shape, but I need to stock up on more ammunition and possible spare parts.

I'm also looking to communicate with other preppers to trade ideas and techniques, and perhaps even form a local group in the Reno/Sparks area.
LVKINGG
Nevada Preppers Network
Nevada Preppers Network

Next

Return to Check In Here Nevada Preppers