• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Has anyone priced well drilling?

Post general Nevada discussions here

Re: Has anyone priced well drilling?

Postby Jluck » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:20 pm

Has anyone priced well drilling?

This Is like "Has anyone priced a car....?". To hit good water (See; Good) a well could cost you anywhere from 2K to 100K depending on land,earth,salt veins,minerals,depth of water, Etc. Keep in mind you need quality and flow. Even in the pacific NW it is hard to hit "Great" water.
Jluck

Postby anita » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:33 pm

Why not just call a well-driller and ask?

when we built our house 10 years ago, I called a well-driller I'd dealt with in the past and asked how much water the wells they'd drilled near me pumped, just to be sure we had plenty of water.

The thing about all this is that what it costs to drill in Nevada might be much different than it is here in PA or in Alaska or Fla. (For us, 11 years ago, it was about $3000 to go about 400 feet). But some places just 20 minutes away from us have to go down 900 feet or more, and might only get 2 gallons a minute.

My husband's brother used to live in New Mexico, and the price of land was very dependent on the availability of water. In some places there just wasn't water on (or below) the property, at least not that was feasibly reachable. Where we live in PA, I've got springs coming up on our property and we've got a static water level of about 50 feet in our well (which allows us to have a hand pump.)
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby Hillbluffer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:35 pm

Well there lots of variables involved. I am a Hydrologist; professionally registered PG now, retired but was in the business for ~20 years. Different states have different laws, some almost no laws LOL. Contact your state water resources office, get some lists of certified well drillers, and make some calls. You will get some estimates particular to your area. Remember the vaguer you are about what you need the grosser the estimate. Here about a permit is needed to put in a drinking water well. Other types of wells have different requirements. Also an in-state registered driller must overview the well drilling process and fills in a well- completion construction drawing on the appropriate forms, signs them with his drilling license number/stamp included and sends them in to the regulatory authorities. Other states are different.This is not an arena with heavy enforcement so beware. You can get away with a lot, but if it ever does get noticed and is a problem it can get real expensive fast. I use to use $45/ft. as a starting point for costing out drinking water wells. Then add in the details to get a final cost. Location was a big factor. It’s a usually lot easier to drill a well on the Atlantic Coastal Plain than in High plains of Colorado or the glaciated terrain of New England and a lot of different variables come into the plan. Anyway you get the picture, make some calls. :D
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."......James Dean
7-SC
Hillbluffer
South Carolina Preppers Network
South Carolina Preppers Network

Postby Toolman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:52 am

Nevada Law states that every property owner has a right to a Domestic Well. You do not have to "apply" for water rights.
In Nevada you only apply for a water right if you are using water for commercial purposes. 99.9% of the time you won't get it from the State anyway, because most water rights are all taken. You'll have to buy it. But, for purposes of this discussion. If you are going to buy land in Nevada, and built a home and live on that land. You by Law have a right to drill a domestic well and take 1800 gallons per day for domestic use only.
Toolman

Postby Smallminers » Mon May 13, 2013 4:32 pm

So here is my question. I just bought 40 acres fenced and already seeded for Grazing. I was told I could use 1800 gallon a day if I drilled a well. How will they know that is how much I am using? How will I know that is how much I am using? My plan is to have a few head of cattle a few goats chickens a few pigs and some rabbits on the property. I also intend to dig about a half acre pond right after I get the well drilled and fill it 1800 gallons a day until it is full and throw in some fish. After the pond is filled would be when I would work on building a couple structures on the property and adding in the personal use livestock. I have checked our water usage now and we (family of four) use about 200-300 gallons a day so the balance could be used to maintain pond water levels and for watering animals. Am I correct about this?
Smallminers

Postby Lance » Mon May 13, 2013 6:48 pm

In 1996 three(3) 7-7/8" bore wells on the ranch drilled three hundred feet(300') with casing and cement was ten dollars($10.00) per foot or $3000.00 each.

Pump, sucker rods, tubing, hardware, anchors ect to tie into our windmills was ~ $1300.00 each.

Tbar
Make America Great Again........!!!
Lance

Postby peekachoo » Mon May 13, 2013 9:11 pm

I found it cheaper to buy my own rig and drill my own wells and install my own pumps and pump my own water. My wife and I did it over 10 years ago and are glad we did! Look for a good old churn drill and use it!

Be careful what pump you use as they only pump so much so they know how much they will pump. We know because our neighbors turned us in and the state came out and found no illegal activities.
peekachoo
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby namwal » Mon May 13, 2013 9:27 pm

In my part of Texas also a state where fresh water is precious, well digging cost about a thousand dollars per 100 feet. Of course there is no rock to bust through. I thought it was pretty reasonable when compared with the water bills being paid my city friends over the course of a few years.

Most Texas land owners have water rights intact, for many years it was only mineral rights that were aggressively bought up. Recently however down on their luck ranchers have been selling water rights in desperate attempts to maintain the family ranches. They now have to buy the water from the metered wells on their own property. When this land is subdivided in the future, new owners will be screwed.
"World oil production can probably keep going up for another 6 or 8 years. But some time in the 1980s it can’t go up much more. Demand will overtake production."-jimmy carter 1977

"Because of increased dust, cloud cover and water vapor the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born"-Newsweek 1970

"civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind,”-George Wald 1970.
namwal
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby myheirloomseeds » Tue May 14, 2013 6:22 am

We're having a well drilled on our Colorado land. Our nearest neighbor in our subdivision has a well drilled just at 100 feet. The best estimates that we have thus far is $55 per foot. Using these prices that's pretty darn good.

We already have a well with our West Texas land it was there when we purchased the property.

Troy
15,000 Heirloom Seeds one low price: http://www.myheirloomseeds.com
myheirloomseeds

Postby Toolman » Thu May 16, 2013 9:39 pm

Smallminers wrote:So here is my question. I just bought 40 acres fenced and already seeded for Grazing. I was told I could use 1800 gallon a day if I drilled a well. How will they know that is how much I am using? How will I know that is how much I am using? My plan is to have a few head of cattle a few goats chickens a few pigs and some rabbits on the property. I also intend to dig about a half acre pond right after I get the well drilled and fill it 1800 gallons a day until it is full and throw in some fish. After the pond is filled would be when I would work on building a couple structures on the property and adding in the personal use livestock. I have checked our water usage now and we (family of four) use about 200-300 gallons a day so the balance could be used to maintain pond water levels and for watering animals. Am I correct about this?

You install a flow meter on the discharge end of your pump. Shows your usage.
Toolman

Postby Toolman » Thu May 16, 2013 9:46 pm

peekachoo wrote:I found it cheaper to buy my own rig and drill my own wells and install my own pumps and pump my own water. My wife and I did it over 10 years ago and are glad we did! Look for a good old churn drill and use it!

Be careful what pump you use as they only pump so much so they know how much they will pump. We know because our neighbors turned us in and the state came out and found no illegal activities.

Unless you are a licensed driller, you can face some hefty fines if not imprisonment for drilling your own wells in Nevada. The laws are very strict, because of the risk of contaminating the aquifer.
Toolman

Postby DuckNCover » Thu May 16, 2013 10:04 pm

Pedro wyoming wrote:LVKINGG,
Have you considered hiring a dowser? In the old south it was called water witching. I learned with a "fresh cut willow fork". When i had my well drilled a couple of years ago, i dowsed with a pair of copper rods. I was skeptical about the copper method but fresh cut willow was nowhere to be found in the mountains of Wyoming. I was surprised that i got several hits with this method. Long story short, my well came in at 120' and my two nearest neighbors were 300' and 400'. The driller had his doubts also but admitted that it may work since i have the shallowest well he has ever drilled on the mountain.

For reference, the well was $25/ft to granite and $45/ft thereafter. This includes casing and gravel pack. The pump and plumbing was about $250 and the electrical on a dedicated circuit was around $75, all were installed by me so there was no additional labor cost. Estimates to have it contracted were 275 for a plumber and 350 for an electrician. This is due mostly to the travel from town...nobody really wanted the work.

pW

I just wanted to comment about dowsing (water witching). When I lived in E. Kentucky, I used 2 techniques in dowsing. One was using a sapling and cut it into a dowsing fork and at the tip you angle cut it at 45 degrees. The other method was using 2 coat hangers that I cut rods of equal length and bent the ends at 90 degrees. While using the metal rods, if you found water they would cross. Problem is, you don't know if the water was good water or waste water. That is when the sapling dowser was used. It pointed down when there was good water and up and away for waste water. For the people that have a well and septic system, try that sometime and see if you get the same results....
DuckNCover

Postby FamilyPrepperLV » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:31 pm

So I'm headed up to Eureka County this weekend to check out a parcel or two that's for sale. I originally came to this thread to find a ballpark figure of putting in a well. While that question was answered, several more were raised about very valid points. The whole thing about being able to access your land without going thru someone else's & having to gain permission never even crossed my mind. I didn't know they could sell you land that you had to pay for access. How do I find out if that is the case with the parcels I'm going out to scope? Thanks in advance!
FamilyPrepperLV

Postby peekachoo » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:44 pm

You need to check with a title insurance co. to see if you have access. The cost of the well will be determined by the local well drillers. We bought our own drills and drilled our own after my witch for a wife found the water. Our neighbors found water at 600 to 800 ft. We found water from 57 to 180 ft. We have 3 wells that produce 15 to 40 gallons per minute.
peekachoo

Previous

Return to Nevada Discussion, News and Weather