• Advertisement

New Mexico Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Please introduce yourself here

New Mexico Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:09 pm

The American Preppers Network is conducting a network-wide roll call.

New Mexico Preppers, please reply to this post and let us know what you are doing to prep.

Are you new or not sure where to start?

Here are a few tips

Networking
The APN focuses heavily on promoting our state groups at the regional and local levels, more so than most forums. Here is the State Network directory, use it to get to know and communicate with others near you.
viewforum.php?f=36

Some other things you can do:
* Check in to your states group at least once or twice a week to help keep your local groups active
* See a storm or disaster in your area? Post about it and let others know
* Find a good deal at a local merchant? Tell us about it.
* Join your local CERT teams. Each state directory has a link that lists the teams in your state.
* Join ANTS (Americans Networking To Survive) ANTS is a unique group that forms supply chains between members so that members should not have to rely on the government for emergency supplies in a disaster. Here is their website: http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/
Here is their sub-forum here on APN: viewforum.php?f=618
* Join a local survival, preparedness, or sustainable living meetup group, or start one yourself. Meetup.com is a great social network that helps you meet others near you. APN is offering for a limited time free Meetup.com pages for our Gold members who want to start local Preppers meetups. Normally these pages are $20 a month to get started but with APN Gold membership being only $5 a month you can realize a net savings of $15 a month. Here is information on the offer: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9170

Learning
Here on the APN learning is free. Our index page (index.php) is organized and categorized so that you can browse easily by subject to find the categories you are looking for. If you dont see a topic that you are looking for you can use the search bar. If you still can't find what you are looking for, then pose a question in the appropriate category and our members are more than happy to share their knowledge.

Resources here on the forum:
* The basics section here on the forum: viewforum.php?f=616
* The Survival, preparedness, and sustainable living directory: viewforum.php?f=12

Free downloads:
* http://cd3wd.com/ (Over 4,000 titles totally over 13 gigabytes)
* http://www.preppers.info/Free_Downloads.html (Over 300 ebooks, manuals and pdfs for download or get them all on disk for free. There is a suggested donation of $2.97 to help cover shipping and handling)
* http://www.stevespages.com/page7c.htm Hundreds of military training manuals and coursebooks for download
*Here is an article on how to build your survival library for pennies on the dollar: http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.com/ ... y-for.html

Teaching
By sharing what you know on how to prepare, survive, or live sustainable you are helping others to become more self-reliant in the process. "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." The more prepared everyone is and the more self-reliant everyone is, the freer we all are. When the unprepared become prepared they are no longer a liability for everyone else. Understand the difference between being in a disaster where there is only one able bodied person who is prepared and 10 who are unprepared vs a disaster where there are 10 prepared and only one who is in need. An unprepared populace that is dependent on the Government means less freedom for YOU. Do you see how you can "Find Freedom Through Teaching Others Self-Reliance"?

Some things you can do:
*Share your knowledge on these forums. You may find it to be a fair and equitable barter when you do. If are able to learn something from others here, then repay the favor by sharing with them what you know.
*Contribute articles to the blogs. The APN and state blogs are member and reader contributed blogs. We are holding a weekly contest now: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9086
*Attend the local meetups if there are any in your community and teach your skills.

Do you have most of the bases covered already? Then reply to this post and tell us what you've been doing to prepare. You may inspire others to try something new. Good luck and Prep On!
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: New Mexico Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Postby Dunappy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:41 am

Been busy building some raised beds from some Free recycled lumber so that I can Increase my garden space.

Started hauling in manure tot he garden areas and will soon get that all turned in. Then will need to start a few seeds indoors. Already have the garden seeds for the year.

Made some tangelo marmalade yesterday to test out the new Tattler reusable canning lids and to use up some excess tangelos. The marmalade turned out great and the new lids all sealed on the first shot. Double positives.
Dunappy

Postby purple pinto » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:45 pm

Hi.

Stocking up on pantry items, getting ready to breed a jersey heifer for our own milk, planting cold crops this weekend (? hopefully) and still trying to find the time to research some reasonable method of creating a fully operable solar set up without spending $30-40K. Researching purchase of commodities, but overwhelmed at that aspect.
purple pinto

Postby TNTCrazyLady » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:07 pm

Checkn In :clap:

Been busy fixing up house and giving preparedness classes ... will try to check out things a bit more frequently ...

Prep On

I share knowledge & doc's at: http://nmurbanhomesteader.blogspot.com/ & http://www.scribd.com/TNTCrazyLady
Today is the Tomorrow that you worried about Yesterday
TNTCrazyLady

Postby RealMom » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:28 am

Only been preppin a couple of months.
Bought some more canned foods. Went to the local garden store to make friends and get info on gardening here. Ready to start a garden this year just nervous.
Hopin' this eastern NM weather calms down a bit.
RealMom

Postby TNTCrazyLady » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:31 pm

To RealMom -

Check out Waffle Dry Desert gardening ... its kinda a cross between square foot and companion gardening passed down from the Pueblo tribes ... works really great ;-}

Good luck in eastern NM - you are starting vortex weather if you are anywhere near the staked plains.

I share knowledge & doc's at: http://nmurbanhomesteader.blogspot.com/ & http://www.scribd.com/TNTCrazyLady
Today is the Tomorrow that you worried about Yesterday
TNTCrazyLady

Postby Elle » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:21 pm

Hi Everyone,
Just working on my dissertation. Would like to know if any of you would be willing to participate. I am sure you have seen my posts here. You can also check out my blog. I truly need some people from here in NM.

Since I am doing a lot of homework, my husband does most of the prepping right now. Had a bee shortage last year so we planted some spring flowers last fall and they are starting to pop up. I hope we get more bees this year. Don't mind hand pollunating the squash, that is pretty easy. Not much luck with hand pollunating tomatoes though. I truly dont want to buy a bee hive.

Costco has some "wrap filling" by mountain house. Its about $100 for 24 pkgs and it looks pretty good. Will try soon.
Thanks,
Lee'Ann
Elle

Postby MissyCD » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:28 pm

Actually based in Queensland Australia. Currently reviewing and tweaking our previous plan based on the real-life run-through we had in January (ie the floods of Brisbane and Ipswich).

On the whole, we did well. All of the important stuff was moved upstairs, the essential stuff came with us when we evacuated to a friends place. 2 adults, 2 children, essential items including food, water, toys, clothes, computers in a small compact car in less than 90 minutes.

First lesson we learnt was we didn't have enough potable water on hand to go for the period of time we were without power. The second was to get as much of the paperwork, etc scanned to make it:
a. More portable
b. backed up
c. Records in claims easier

Have resolved first lesson, currently scanning papers but that will take a LOT longer, but chipping away at it bit by bit
MissyCD

Postby Chance3 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:10 pm

Checking in to the Roll Call.
Getting the Garden ready for planting - Just bought my reloader set and learning from a buddy who has been reloading his own for the last 25 years - Working on the bug-out vehicle, tune-up, tranny, fixing some leaks, added new tires and brakes. Working on the food and water storage. Still looking to buy some land for the future bug out, it's just hard to know where to go when the SHTF, and it's hard to find the right price in todays economic crunch.
So much to do and so little time to do it, at least we are doing.
"I am one of those who do not believe that a national debt is a national blessing, but rather a curse to a republic; inasmuch as it is calculated to raise around the administration a moneyed aristocracy dangerous to the liberties of the country." - President Andrew Jackson (1767-1845)
Chance3
New Mexico Preppers Network

Postby mountaincat94 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:05 pm

checking in from farmington new mexico
mountaincat94

Postby tikkitok » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Checking in from SE (NM). Canning continues; garden underway. Expect to be planting within the week. Also keeping bug out in mind; thinking about a binder. Will be getting handle on medical kit additions and hopefully find some lamp oil somewhere in town. Thinking about chickens, but not sure how many we can get away with in town.
tikkitok

Postby prayharder » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:34 pm

Checking in from Los Alamos, word of the day....AMMO. :gunsmile:
prayharder

Postby sacramentoslim » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:25 am

Sorry slow to respond. Have land bought in the Sacramentos, still working on getting on it. We bought a Berkey water filter--love it. Planning, dreaming, prepping....
sacramentoslim

Postby BronwynRose » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:46 am

Just joined. Prepping for about a year. My biggest concern is water. Trying to locate supplies to store a few more thousand gallons of water.
Garden is in but struggling with the cold snap.
BronwynRose

Postby HootOwl » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:56 pm

Checking in from south of Tijeras. Just bought new Troy-built tiller.
HootOwl

Next

Return to Check In Here New Mexico Preppers