• Advertisement

new mexicos poo poo hits the fan evactuation ares

Post general NM discussions here

new mexicos poo poo hits the fan evactuation ares

Postby footxless » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:45 am

I would like to hear your input on the flow of refuges through new Mexico after a economic crash. would the drift be down I 25 to Mexico or east or west or maybe north let me know what you think about this
footxless

Re: new mexicos poo poo hits the fan evactuation ares

Postby SamD » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:32 pm

About a year late on the reply but here it goes.
There will be travel on both routes in both directions

Mexican nationals headed home and few from farther south coming in to take advantage of the disruption.
As for I-40 folks from both directions heading home that will be passing through if possible but likely getting stuck. Some will be a burden, some useful additions to the state.
Folks from El Paso will try north on 25 and 54 looking for a place to live but aren't going to find much. Many will end up being looters after their tank is empty and they run out of Cheetos, just about the time they get to Albuquerque.
SamD

Postby jjaxsmash » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:17 pm

I hope this topic gets revived soon considering the mass movement of refugees in Europe. These kinds of things are possible on this continent in our lifetime. Can you imagine what it would look like if that flow of people was moving NORTH through NM? Lets say they were headed for Colorado, it is easy to see the path they would take. More than 800,000 people have crossed the Mediterranean and Aegean so far this year, fleeing war, persecution and violence in Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, Eritrea, and other countries. To put it in perspective, that would be like the entire population of Albuquerque, Las Cruces, Rio Rancho, Santa Fe AND Roswell getting up and walking across the state en mass.

Chihuahua City for example (the capital of the northwestern Mexican state of Chihuahua) has a population of around 800,000 and if anything massive happened there, it could create a tidal wave of people that could not be stopped easily if they made a beeline for El Paso. Possible? Sure. Likely? I don't know enough about the regional politics to make a reasonable or educated statistical threat assessment, but it's something somebody somewhere is chewing on.

I'm curious about the travel plans of others in this forum, having seen what a mass migration looks like after a disaster. You need not look any farther than the front page of any news site to stare into the tired eyes of a starving, exhausted, and frightened refugee. No politics please, just compassion. we all think we can jump in our well stocked vehicles and flee, but what if we had no vehicle? Would it be safer to stay put? Where in NM would be a reasonable destination? And what are your plans if you had to travel on foot? Considering these questions it becomes easier to guess what refugees might consider a destination, and how they would get there.

Jax
jjaxsmash

Postby rebnavy1862 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:38 pm

I moved from a large metropolitan area to a rural county in eastern Virginia. I chose it for a reason. It is surrounded by the Chesapeake Bay and two wide rivers with drawbridges. The only other access is a single road that is over 100 miles from the DC area. This highway can be easily blocked. In my county and the surrounding ones, there are approximately 50,000 well armed farmers and hunters.
I don't see any incursion by outsiders to be likely or successful.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Return to New Mexico Discussion, News and Weather