• Advertisement

Solar Eclipse in TN

Post general Tennessee Topics here

Moderator: Onegreenguy

Solar Eclipse in TN

Postby Photon Guy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:34 am

The path of totality for the solar eclipse went through part of Tennessee so certain places in Tennessee were some of the best places to be for the eclipse. I went to Gallatin which is about 45 minutes from Nashville and was one of the best places to be. I saw the eclipse in its totality for over 2 minutes and driving in wasn't that bad. Traffic wasn't so bad driving down although it was hard to get a hotel room but I was able to get one in Virginia and one in Nashville. I brought my BOB and 2 guns and some ammo as I wanted to be prepared for the possibility of a crisis as there were going to be lots of zombies going to see the eclipse, I was one of them. I was thinking that with all these people traveling to these eclipse locations that it would present an opportunity for terrorists to strike and be able to take out lots of people en route or at the locations. Fortunately that didn't happen. At Gallatin on the day of the eclipse I went to a park where they were doing all these activities and where they had live music. There was a big crowd there although I was expecting an even bigger crowd. Getting a parking spot wasn't so hard as I got there at about quarter to five in the morning and things went smoothly up to and during the totality phase where the moon completely covers the sun. The totality phase was awesome. It was after the totality phase when SHTF. Although activities were going on until 3 most of the people, including myself, were leaving after the totality phase as we had seen it and now the moon was starting to move past the sun. Getting out was all hell. Cars were piled up on the way out and after that the traffic was horrendous not only in Gallatin but through most of Tennessee from people driving back from the eclipse from all different locations. Getting a hotel room was impossible as all the rooms were sold out so I figured I would park at a rest stop for the night and sleep in my car as I have done many times before. However, even the rest stop was filled. All the parking spots were taken but I was able to park by the curb after finding a spot as even much of the curb spots were taken. So I slept in my car as many other people were doing at the rest stop not all that far from Virginia. I got up at about 7 in the morning and the drive back from then wasn't so bad. I would still say it was worth it, going to TN to see the eclipse.
Photon Guy

Re: Solar Eclipse in TN

Postby stonyman002 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:39 am

Don't know how things went in other parts of the country. I did not have glasses and did not participate. But what I saw got me to thinking. I was taking a friend to a doctor appointment at the time of the event. There were like 3 cars on hwy 41 that were moving. everyone else was pulled over to the side of the road and in parking lots with their silly glasses on looking up at the sun for 2 minutes. It was almost like a timestop had hit my town and I was one of the very few not effected. At any given point I expected those four memorable notes from the twilight zone theme song to come over my radio.

If I were a conspiracy theorist ( which I will not admit or deny ) I would wonder if our government used this natural event to observe how well it's sheeple followed orders and did as they were told. And have those of us that did not do as we were told been added to a list of potential trouble makers? Not that it really matters I am probably already on that list. LOL
stonyman002

Postby JayJay » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:53 pm

Getting out was all hell.

Which is why I stayed on my covered porch and enjoyed the show.
I am so glad I viewed this with solar glasses given to my husband in a restaurant on his way home.
Amazing site for us, huh.

I enjoyed watching the progress of the eclipse at different stages as well as the total eclipse.
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby Photon Guy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:49 pm

You don't need to use glasses during the totality stage, when the sun is completely covered by the moon, but any other time during the eclipse before or after totality you will need special glasses or you will damage your eyes. During totality you can gaze directly at it without protection. Everybody was cheering when it went into totality. I was in a park so we weren't by the side of the road. People who live in the area who were watching from their porches you were lucky that you didn't have to drive a long distance, or for that matter drive at all. You're definitely lucky about not having to drive through all that traffic as I did. As for me, if I lived in the area I would still want to drive to the park since that's where all the action was with all the events they were doing and all the people watching it. My only concern is that with all those people it would be the perfect opportunity for a terrorist to strike. Somebody could go in there with a bomb and kill lots of people but as I said in my OP fortunately that didn't happen. Totality was absolutely beautiful, it was something from out of this world. As I was watching totality and ingraining it in my memory I thought of the words of the late great Leonard Nimoy who played Mr. Spock on Star Trek, "Life is like a garden, perfect moments can be had but not preserved, except in memory." I know that gardening is a big field in the world of prepping but its not something I know much about so I don't know if that's true about gardens but its true about life and the solar eclipse, particularly totality, is an excellent example of that. The important thing is to preserve it in memory.

Aside from that I would like to say that its too bad Jerry Lewis missed out on this. Jerry Lewis the famous comedian died just before the day of the eclipse. RIP Jerry Lewis.

And as for Gallatin, from what I saw of it I must say its a nice little city.
Photon Guy

Postby bacpacker1513 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:20 pm

The wife and I drove up to a nice spot about 5200' elevation on the Cherohala Skyway near the line between Tn/NC. The drive up wasn't bad at all and got on site by 7am. There were a lot of people who spent the night in their cars or camping along the road. We were able to get a spot in our 2nd choice. By the time the event started a little after 1 there was a lot of people at our site which was a good 1/4 mile long. cars parked another 1/4 mile both ways up the road. But I have to say I saw no one acting up in any way. Everyone was very nice and polite, traffic was very well behaved as well. The event itself was fantastic. I had saw a couple of partials before, but never a total eclipse. It was well worth the time and effort. I enjoy photography and was able to get some really good pics during the event. We stayed around for a good hour after it was over and let traffic fall off some. Although by the tie we got off the mountain it was backed up a couple miles getting into the small town there. We took back roads from there and made it almost to the main highway before hitting another nack up. The 4 lane on back toward where we live was double file, but moving steadily most every where except the 2 redlights where police and fire presence was out directing traffic. I never saw anyone acting an idiot the entire day.
I would do it again in a heartbeat. We were well prepped and armed heavier than normal, but never felt any bad feelings. Also met a couple of active duty Air Force that was set up next to us. Wonderful guys and we had a blast talking and sharing our food with them. That made the day even better
Greater Love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.
John 15:13
bacpacker1513
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:15 am

Driving to Tennessee to see the eclipse was not the first time I had been to Tennessee or driven through it. From time to time I drive to Nashville as I sometimes I do business there. Anyway, when I went to see the eclipse, and the other times I go to Nashville I take Route 40. When taking Route 40 I pass through Cookeville which has a great gun shop and shooting range called Outdoor Junction. I sometimes go there when Im in Tennessee and I've shot at the range. The problem is this, they're not open enough. They close at 5:30 on weekdays and at 4 on Saturdays and they're not open at all on Sundays. Unfortunately in my trip to see the eclipse I was not able to go there when they were open. That was a bummer since I did bring guns with me and I wanted to use them and by that I mean that I wanted to use them at a range. So anyway, to anybody in the Cookeville area and anybody who is not too far I would like to ask you to ask them to stay open longer. As I said its a great gun shop and shooting range so I would like them to get more business and with enough business and enough of a demand for longer hours they might get longer hours. So anybody who hasn't visited Outdoor Junction I urge you to do so and those in the area I urge you to go there more often and ask them to stay open longer.
Photon Guy

Return to Tennessee Discussion, News and Weather