• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Prospecting Silver....without a shovel!!

North Carolina A.N.T.S. members plan your colonies and supply chains here.

Moderators: maustypsu, founderant

Prospecting Silver....without a shovel!!

Postby tarheelsman71 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:38 pm

I have been sorting through tons of silver trying to find the ever elusive Pre-1965 dimes and quarters. I have some (not a lot), but just can seem to run across any lately. Kind of like they are being hoarded for some reason :) . Well I thought to myself where can I go where the coins dont get turned into the bank anymore? Car wash. Goto your older car wash's and give em $20 bucks. Saturday I went to vacuum out my wife's car, (BTW for get aquaponics or hydroponics, just let my wife have your car for a year and you can grow stuff in your car :? ) walked up and realized that I only had a $20 dollar bill. I needed the change so I did it anyway. Out spit 80 quarters...of which there were only a couple of the new "state" quarters, but more importantly, there were three pre-1965 quarters. The going rate last I checked on silver a pre-1965 quarter was worth about $3.85 in silver so that vacuuming trip almost paid for itself. Just thought I would throw that out there. It dont cost anything, and if you get shutout, just take the money back to the bank.
tarheelsman71
North Carolina Preppers Network

Re: Prospecting Silver....without a shovel!!

Postby Crusis » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:15 pm

That's a great idea!

BTW, silver dropped below $27 an ounce today. I plan to buy it all the way down. I hope it gets to $10 an ounce. If it really goes down, I'll be trying to fill a closet with it. ;)
-- Home Prepping --

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

-- Grandpappy --
Crusis
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby dlbenx2 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:10 pm

Question? How much silver should be stored? My prep supplies are in pretty good shape. Could always do more work and will. I have begun buying some silver. I have found no guidelines on how much one might want to have. Any discussion will be appreciated. :?
I prep to provide, God provides to prep. P!
dlbenx2

Postby tarheelsman71 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:19 pm

I dont really know how much is enough. It is like saying how much money do you need to be satisfied? My plan is to get as much as I can. How much the present cost is, isnt as important to me having some in the safe when the SHTF. IF and this is a BIG "IF" nothing hits the fan, then a hunk of silver will be awesome to give my kids when I pass on. I am looking at the new death taxes and giving Uncle Sam 50% of my worth instead of it going to my kids. If I have a big hunk of silver in my safe....well then that 100% value goes to my kids instead of the Govt taking 50% of my estate.
tarheelsman71

Postby paladin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:47 pm

how to check the value of your coins

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/silver ... lator.html
Daniel 12:1
[ The End Times ] “At that time Michael, the great prince who protects your people, will arise. There will be a time of distress such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then. But at that time your people—everyone whose name is found written in the book—will be delivered.
paladin

Postby Crusis » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:05 am

I agree, what is in my safe deposit box or in safes in various places isn't on gov't records. 100% of it passes on non-taxable, and any money it makes or any money I make from selling it as some point are pretty much untraceable as well, so it will likely not be taxed.

Paladin, that is a kick *ss site! I love it!

I have been buying for a while. I've bought 1oz rounds, 1oz bars, 10oz bars, and now am buying solely 90% silver US coins. I will never stop buying silver, probably as long as I live unless I think the price is in a bubble, like I think gold is now.. or was 2 weeks ago. It seems to have lost about 10%. But silver went down $4 an oz as well, so it might just be market variables responding to politics or commodity issues.

Dlbenx2, I think once you have 1/2 a year or so of income in silver, you might want to start diversifying. Meaning, if you're making $30K a year and your silver is worth $15K at current spot prices, you might want to consider something else. It's never good to have your wealth all in one basket, and it is always possible that a huge silver mine will open up and the price will fall through the floor. Have a variety of precious metals, Paladium, Platinum, Rhodium, Gold, Silver, or even Copper ingots.

Copper: http://www.providentmetals.com/bullion/ ... pound.html

I also have to say that it's extremely satisfying to be able to go to the bank and open a box and see physical wealth. Make sure you don't keep all your eggs in one basket in that sense either. Banks close, burn, are robbed, etc. Spread your metals out to several locations. I keep the least amount in my house, but I do keep some in case SHTF fast.

Another thing about keeping it in your house. Keep it in a fire resistant gun or security safe. Any burglar will have a fit trying to get ours unless he brings a forklift and an acetylene cutting torch. Make yourself a hard target. What you keep in the bank, take your camera and get a picture record of it. Insure it like you would insure jewelry in your house. A lot of security safes come with warranties that protect you up to a certain money amount in the event of a fire, but not theft of the safe. Make sure you secure it to the floor or wall.
-- Home Prepping --

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

-- Grandpappy --
Crusis
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby dlbenx2 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:25 pm

I don't have any silver at the Bank. I trust them about as much as I do the Government. Mine is all where it can't be found. Uhm, where did I put that.....never mind, I found it. Also I have nothing(that I know of) of collector value. Too much work keeping track of, I want silver value only. I do remodeling work and have a couple of regular customers that pay in silver. I love it when my bill is $4.00 an hour. Track that, Big Brother! I would work only for silver if I could get it. I have bars, rounds and lots of junk coin. Price is dropping but I can wait.
I prep to provide, God provides to prep. P!
dlbenx2

Postby Crusis » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:12 pm

Price has been pretty stable today. Customers that pay in silver! That's awesome.

I sort of wish we'd just have a grass roots movement now to return to the silver and gold standard.
-- Home Prepping --

-- Grandpappy --
Crusis
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby Cadit » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:40 pm

Greetings: I spoke to a friend of mine and he told me not to use safe deposit boxes, if the us dollar fails; then the banks fail, and everything in the safe deposit boxes become the property of the banks and thus the feds. It is the feds that back the banks and that being said, the Federal Government will take you holdings to prop-up the failing government. Made sense to me, maybe you have a different view, please enlighten me, because we are all in the same boat and no holes I hope.

I then asked, can't I go down to the bank to my box and retrieve my items in it? He said if the bank went bust then no one will be there to open the doors, and if there was someone there, its most likely the banker or the feds clearing out those safe deposit boxes. :o
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Return to North Carolina A.N.T.S.