• Advertisement

SALT and SUGAR

Georgia A.N.T.S. Members. Form your colonies and plan your supply chains here.

Moderators: Ravenwood1950, founderant

SALT and SUGAR

Postby NorthGeorgiaPrepared » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:56 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on how we will be able to obtain salt and sugar after a grid down scenario. Because no matter how much you store, if you live long enough you will run out. I know you can get salt from food, such as vegetables that people will hopefully be growing(be able to grow [meaning no irradiated ground and rain]), and animals/livestock, etc.. And sugar can be obtained from sugar cane, and from growing fruits producing plants, trees, etc., but what are your thoughts on how sugar and salt will be obtained. I'm sure some post-collapse entrepreneur will distill salt from the saltwater by or from the sea and bring it north. But you would have to have a way of knowing that. Maybe word of mouth spreads, maybe you send out scouting, recon, intelligence gathering parties, or couriers. I would just love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
NorthGeorgiaPrepared

Re: SALT and SUGAR

Postby daaswampman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:21 pm

Locally we would go back to the old ways. Not far from me is a place called salt works. It is where they evaporated water from a natural salt springs. Of little value now, but your local history is worth knowing. Sugar cane is still grown in this area as well as sugar beets.

Knowing how it was done the old days, has motivated me to store large quantities while they are cheap compared to the labor involved to replace them! At current usage, I will run out around my 300th birthday! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby oldasrocks » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:03 am

You don't need refined sugar in your diet anyway. Think carbs instead.

Lack of Iodized salt could result in goiter problems for some people. I think some foods could replace the iodine needed but I'm not educated on this so I need to research it more. With 200 lbs of salt on hand I'm not worried about ever running out though.

A pound of salt might become worth more that a pound of gold and a whole lot cheaper to stockpile.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:20 am

I've got plenty of salt, sugar, and honey stored. Aside from preserving I would be reluctant to use these as general flavoring in a SHTF situation. A lot of food has sufficient salt content and sugar is an unhealthy luxury.

For longer term I also keep sugar beet seeds, as I'm not in a sugar cane growing area. There's also the potential of harvesting maple syrup. I'd be all set with honey if I had hives, but that's a bit further out in my plans.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:20 am

there's salt deposits all over the country - large ones under commercial mining - one of the largest is under Detroit ... unless it's TEOTWAWKI something domestic like salt would return to the market - matter of being properly prepped with the variety of the different salts necessary for survival ...

already mentioned are cane & beet sugar production - need to mention sorghum as well .... best overall is honey - if you have the right situation for hives - best prepper idea you can have ...

best thing about both salt & sugar - it's almost tooooo eazy to store .... just pour it into a food grade container and store it away for no further thought - one of the forever foods that aren't drastically affected by the storage climate & conditions ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:02 pm

Definitely do some research on the sweeteners in your area - I am also in a sugar cane area but there are sugar beets grown here as well. The sugar beet industry is much like the corn in that is almost all GMO. But will we care if the SHTF? Probably not.

Although sugar gets a bad wrap - we store it for making jams and I do like to bake. Moderation is the key and after everyone's tastes change - a little will be sufficient for sweet treats. Don't just store white sugar - store a variety. The sweetener market is huge with something for everyone. Truvia recently introduced a nectar product that is a stevia sweetener blend with honey. Coupons and rebates thru Ibotta & Checkout 51 made the small bottles free or cheap. I managed to snag 5 bottles and it isn't even carried in my town. Aldi has some products too. I am always on the lookout for cheaper ways to prep. Going into the holiday season will bring cheaper baking products and opportunities to get preps at great savings.

I could see salt being more of an issue than sweeteners since there are so many alternatives in the sweet arena. Prep as much salt and seasonings as you have room for is my advice. I prep all kinds of herbs and seasonings to make what mixes I need such as taco, seasoned salt, greek, creole, pumpkin, etc. instead of storing all those different mixes. I will share recipes for those on the Recipes/Binder thread.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby JayJay » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:12 am

I'm 67 and I doubt if my buckets will run out. I haven't bought salt and sugar for about 7 or 8 years...so calculating what I've used, I still have many years worth.
Now, losing my salt/sugar to a thief?? That's another issue.

Salt is so cheap, no reason to not store in buckets...the sugar I bought was $1.50 for a 4 lb. bag.
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby 3ADScout » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:27 pm

Both are so cheap right now plus no expiration date, there is no excuse not to have a few 5 gallon buckets full of each. (Okay maybe space). Personally I agree that we don't need the sugar in our diet. Long term plan is to have a few bee hives at the BOL. Good news is the neighbor has multiple hives now so if need be I'm sure we could barter.
3ADScout

Postby sageprice » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:34 pm

Sugar beets, sorghum, honey, spruce honey, maple, birch, there are plenty of sweetener sources, but few salt sources. Salt to ferment veggies, and preserve meat. That is a tough one.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:46 pm

Already have plenty of salt stored, and probably more sugar than I'll use the rest of my life. Considering that I use probably LESS than 5 lbs per year (and that's mainly for baking pies or making jams/jellies) what I already have will last FAR beyond the next 40 or 50 years. For sweetener, I mainly use honey; and THAT can be replaced from my beehive.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby John Galt 1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:34 pm

Having tried the 50 lb blocks of salt from the feed store I've learned to avoid keeping long term salt out of the shed in non air tight containers (sitting on a pallet). Salt absorbs moisture out of the air and absorbs moisture during high humidity times to the point where the salt slowly melts away. I'd suggest storing salt in air tight containers.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby 3ADScout » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:01 pm

Here is a short YouTube video with a Revolutionary War perspective on salt. Back then salt was considered a military necessity due to its food preservation properties. The English put an embargo on it. Prices spiked. https://youtube.com/watch?v=8ICcH-mLt3c
3ADScout

Return to Georgia A.N.T.S.