• Advertisement

Super Solar Flare "Taking Us Back to 5000 BC?"

Introductions and Forum Guide (sub-forums are unlocked)

Moderator: ReadyMom

Re: Super Solar Flare "Taking Us Back to 5000 BC?"

Postby Jericho Montana » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:36 pm

Wow, got a bigger splash on this one than expected and add that Hansel1 is spot on in his comments.

As I observe reactions to various topics in this forum, it seems it might be beneficial to establish some kind of reference library. By which I mean take itsadisaster's suggestion for a Disaster forum, then pick topics such as EMP, both solar and NUDET. Then debate/discuss the issue until an informed decision is reached as confirmed by the Moderator. Finally, someone would type up the conclusion as a decision brief and post it to the library section.

As the library builds, each time a quesion comes up or someone posts a news article or other such - the Moderators could reply to reference that library section and discussion would end. With the provisio that should new information be provided that changes, modifies, or alters the library reference, then debate the points again, make a decision, and repost the library holding.

Or something such. A process that would save members like Hansel1 from reposting his confirmed evidence multiple times.

Just a suggestion from a new member.

JM
Jericho Montana

Postby MrDanB » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:20 pm

I agree JM! Good one from Hansel. Both of those 2 events are out of our control. You CAN build a faraday cage fairly cheaply, but what lots of folks overlook is that nobody is going to get fair warning to run and put all the electronics in their safe place, then pull them out and everything works again. Most of us are far too busy anyway...
As for the library, I tried making a thread a while back about getting pdf's in one central spot, but didn't really go anywhere. I use the search bar for the site if I want to know anything specific. This board is fairly young too and things will change as it grows...
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator
Washington State Moderator

Postby cherokeenut » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:39 pm

We have a ice box from our Colman popup trailer that we never use. I was noticing that it is all metal outside with a tunbuckle metal latch, typical Colman quality. It is big enough to fit a laptop, all the compters for my different vehicles, radios and so on. I'm going to do what modifications are required to make it usable for this task which shouldn't be much. Look on Ebay or Craigslist, I've seen them there too and they are pretty roomy inside.
As far as going back 5000 years, what a load. I can see mid 1850's but get real. By the way if anyone wants to know what they might need to get their vehicles up again after such an event you are welcome to PM me and I can tell you if you should even attempt it.
Support APN and become a Gold Member Today! Free E-book "It's a Disaster And What Are You Gonna Do About It?" Free Lifetime Membership at SafeCastle Royal. 30% Discount at SurvivalCD.com. All this and more! Sign Up Here
cherokeenut
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby Jericho Montana » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:35 pm

MrDanB wrote:I agree JM! Good one from Hansel. Both of those 2 events are out of our control. You CAN build a faraday cage fairly cheaply, but what lots of folks overlook is that nobody is going to get fair warning to run and put all the electronics in their safe place, then pull them out and everything works again. Most of us are far too busy anyway...
As for the library, I tried making a thread a while back about getting pdf's in one central spot, but didn't really go anywhere. I use the search bar for the site if I want to know anything specific. This board is fairly young too and things will change as it grows...

Thanks for the info. Computers and I do not get along and we maintain a mutual understanding on that point. To be honest, I was probably one of a very few who were seriously praying the Milenium Bug was real. Heh, think of a world returned to tube based AM radio, only two TV channels on good days, LP records, Mimeograph ink, a rotary phone, and the Underwood typewriter with six carbons if you wanted extra copies.

Sigh. Now those were the days these high tech kids will never appreciate.

JM
Jericho Montana

Postby Jericho Montana » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:47 pm

cherokeenut wrote:We have a ice box from our Colman popup trailer that we never use. I was noticing that it is all metal outside with a tunbuckle metal latch, typical Colman quality. It is big enough to fit a laptop, all the compters for my different vehicles, radios and so on. I'm going to do what modifications are required to make it usable for this task which shouldn't be much. Look on Ebay or Craigslist, I've seen them there too and they are pretty roomy inside.
As far as going back 5000 years, what a load. I can see mid 1850's but get real. By the way if anyone wants to know what they might need to get their vehicles up again after such an event you are welcome to PM me and I can tell you if you should even attempt it.

Cherokee: My best effort has been to choose the short range 2-ways (CB/SSB and FRS/GMRS) I think would be necessary, along with a couple AM/FM and shortwave recievers - keeping the price as low as possible. Then I placed spares of each in the best small Faraday Box that would hold them, with double copper ground rods secured to a copper mesh wrapped and soldered over the outside.

Best I can do for coms. If time permits, after a number of other higher priority efforts, I intend to get my Class B no-code at a minimum to allow some SSW transmit capability. I'm not certain what the forum position on such is, but after a SHTF scenario, I'm not certain if anyone would be monitoring those using SSW radios without liciense, perhaps someone could provide commentary on that?

On transportation, which is a much more expensive longer term effort. Look to rebuilding an early to mid 70s pre-unleaded pickup or Bronco/Blazer type trucks. When you do the rebuild, have the mechanic throw out all the electronic ignition and replace with old style points and condensor. I like the dual point high performance, but its a personal choice at that stage. A double battery set up with isolator is also a good idea.

Lastly, its this vehicle you'd want to pre-build a wood gasification plant on the front bumper. Then remove all but the bracket and wait for the day there's no gas.

Best anyone can do, regardless of funds available.

JM
Jericho Montana

Previous

Return to New Members - Check In Here First