• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

New Members, Welcome to our forum!

Welcome to the forum! Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: ReadyMom, mmpaints

Re: New Members, Welcome to our forum!

Postby IceFire » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:30 pm

Welcome! On your food storage, a 2-year supply of freeze-dried food is pretty pricey. One thing that you might want to consider doing is to initially build up a 2-year supply of "regular" shelf-stable foods (canned goods, grains, rice etc.) THAT YOU NORMALLY EAT. THEN, you can buy a few cans at a time (when they are on sale) of the long-term storage foods. There are several reasons for this:

1. MUCH easier on your budget! In building up your supply of "regular" foods, you can buy a bit extra at a time each time you do your regular grocery shopping. Plus, you can combine coupons with sales/store discounts for extra savings making it even more budget-friendly.
2. You always have a plentiful supply of items you use...no worries about running out of an ingredient when you are in the middle of cooking.
3. You are protected from supply disruptions (weather shutting down roads so that trucks can't get through to re-supply grocery stores, computer outages disrupting shipping, strikes, etc.)
4. Write the "best by" date on the packages and put them in "rotation" so that you don't waste.
5. You will be eating foods that your body is accustomed to. Adding large amounts of foods that your body is not accustomed to (or suddenly switching to them) can have VERY unpleasant effects on your digestive system!

AFTER you build up a good supply of "regular" foods (or while you are building up your supply, depending on your budget) you can add purchases of long-term storage foods. I would suggest buying the items you want only when they are on sale. It's slower, but significantly less expensive than getting a large supply all at once.

In addition, you might think about investing in a good pressure canner (you can use it for both pressure canning AND "water bath" canning) various sizes of canning jars, and extra lids. With a pressure canner, you can preserve not only things you grow in your garden, but also fruits/vegetables you get on sale, as well as soups, stews, and even meats. By canning meats, you can take advantage of good sales, (or even process animals that you have raised yourself) and don't have to worry about losing frozen meats in a power outage, since the canned meats are shelf-stable.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby astroguy321 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:01 pm

Hello fellow Preppers,

I'm new to the forum and am eager to learn as much as I can.

I'm wondering how most of you are accumulating ammunition? I stay pretty much in tune with the online sellers and there are some pretty good deals out there.

How many of you do your own reloading? I know there's the up-front costs of dies, presses, primers, powder, etc, - just wondered how popular it is these days?

Thanks!
Ken
offthegridprepper.com
astroguy321

Postby Eaglehrt » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Everyone is welcome ............ from Oklahoma................ I just wanted to put out that I will be setting up some long range shooting classes.......up to and over 1500 yrds. This is a skill that everyone should and can learn with a little guidance and direction. If any group in our mists may need some extra attention, just pm me........... or come on to Oklahoma. I will be setting reservations for the next few weeks. This will be a 4 day course and will require some additional items.

Eagle
Eaglehrt
Oklahoma State Moderator
Oklahoma State Moderator

Postby Pigboat65 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:48 am

North Idaho Patriot wrote:Welcome to the American Preppers Network Forum! We hope that you will enjoy our networks. We are here to help. If you have questions, concerns, or ideas, feel free to contact myself, MatthiasJ or any of our moderators by sending a private message or you can post a message on one of the help threads at the bottom of this forum. Don't forget to also support your states home page by going to (yourstate)PreppersNetwork.com or your states forum (yourstate)PreppersNetwork.net

Thank you and welcome aboard!

First time ever to use a forum. Not quite sure how to proceed. A learning curve for sure, but that's how we grow isn't it? Been researching a lot and found APN through Armed Squirrel Project. After reading several articles on the website I concluded this is the location to get practical, common sense information. Had to wade through a lot of minutiae to find this site.
I live in the Arkansas delta so will be checking for possible future friends in the area. Hopefully, at some point in the future I'll be able to contribute something of worth. God's Blessing to all.
Pigboat65

Postby IceFire » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:44 pm

Welcome from SE Arizona, Pigboat65! A good place to start is the "Getting Started--the Basics" section, and read through some of the posts there. Also, look over the different sections, and find one that piques your interest. There is a LOT of information here, so don't let it overwhelm you. If you have questions, ASK! there are plenty of experienced folk on here who would be glad to help.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby esar145 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:04 pm

Greetings and salutations!
Inadvertently discovered I was a Prepper a few years back....
I just thought it was a good idea to have a few extras of things that might be needed.
Field Day was a great start to have things handy just in case. Ham for 40+ yrs.
Solar power was easy for me as a one time TVRO satellite design team member...
Helped to put first of the new switching power supplies into space long ago.
Scouting and SAR membership gave me another angle into having what you need when you need it.
Reloading is a newer hobby... Almost more fun that target shooting... Almost...
Looking forward to cruising through the archives and forums to discover more tips and ideas!
That's me in Cliff note form...
73's
Chuck
esar145

Postby kadj » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:41 pm

hi all Maryland minute man here ,i'm a newbie at this forum and hope to find you all well and be a helpful part of this group :tank:
kadj

Postby terreythompson » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:57 am

Hey, I'm Terrey Thompson. I just joined this forum to learn more about gun safety and what kind of firearms I should consider buying. :D
terreythompson

Postby Jthm13 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:27 pm

New here, just moved from Indiana to Edgewood, New Mexico. Looking for like minded people to share ideas and network and plan with.
Jthm13

Postby alpreparing » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:38 am

Hello:

I am new to the site. Living in southern VA, what I see happening in the country is making me and mine nervous, and thought this would be a great place to get ideas and find others who are of a similar mind. Thank you for having me.
alpreparing

Postby cwren58 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi I live in Chester county but close to Rock hill. I am not southern born but am from the Midwest--I love it here!
I like to be prepared-- not so much for the end of the world but for big emergencies like what happened recently with the Hurricane scare. I am not a gardener because my health prohibits the physical work involved--and the heat.
I do buy foods on sale and stock up. I have a chest freezer, a dehydrator and a food saver vacuum sealer. We moved recently so I let my stash get low-I've moved with preps before and it is not fun.
I have a carry license and am about to take a class for ham radio license. To me, it is enjoyable to prepare. I expect there to be more and more big events coming up, and someday I expect my personal beliefs will end up on the chopping block so being prepared is just smart. I thought it might be nice to find a group and see what's going on in SC. as far as prepping is concerned. Thank you For Welcoming me! Cwren.
(Carolina Wren--duh) :)
cwren58

Postby Fishman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:56 am

Hi!

I go by the callsign/nickname "Fish"

I am from the Hampton Roads, Virginia area aka the "757". Looking for a local group to meet other like minded individuals. Id like to get a steady group of people together for bushcraft, hiking and survival training. I look forward to meeting you all.

-Fish
Fishman

Postby IceFire » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:08 pm

Welcome from SE Arizona, Fish!
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby bunnylady71 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:41 am

Hi I am Michelle. I am currently in Southeast Texas. I raise rabbits chickens and ducks and tend a large garden in which I do can my own product.
bunnylady71

Postby little_nova57 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:23 pm

Greets from Upstate NY..meaning north of Saratoga yet South of Plattsburgh. Glad to have found this incredible group of peoples. As of yet, have not been fortunate enough to locate any Upstaters to actually network with. Am familiar with "prep", prior military exp didn't hurt. That said...be well,stay safe and ever aware.
little_nova57

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself