• Advertisement

5 gallon bucket or larger tote?

Welcome to the forum! Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: ReadyMom, mmpaints

5 gallon bucket or larger tote?

Postby jeffsilver777 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:12 pm

I admit that I am new to being a Prepper, and wanted to get guidance from the experts out there. I sealed dry foods [rice, beans, etc] in mylar bags with an oxygen absorber in each bag. Small mylar bags. Maybe about 3lbs. of food in each one.

Is it OK to just store these mylar bags neatly in a rubber maid tote with a secure lid? Or do I really need to use a bucket with a gasket sealed lid? Just curious because the mylar bags are fully sealed.

Thank you for your guidance up front!

Jeff
jeffsilver777

Re: 5 gallon bucket or larger tote?

Postby rebnavy1862 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:52 pm

It is possible for mice or other rodents to chew into rubber maid totes. Also, insects can get into the space between the lid and lower part.
Reb
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby watcher » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:13 pm

what are you packing in it, how much will it weigh full and how much can you lift?
watcher
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby jean11 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:54 pm

Jeff, I use mylar in 5 gallon buckets with a snap on type lid (Home Depot) and have been happy with that. But I think your method is fine too.
jean11

Postby donba » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:35 am

We store a lot of Dried food in 1/2 gallon ball jars. Beans, rice, and dehydrated, then suck the air out after putting in an oxygen eating packet. You can store sugar and salt this way also. We are in our 70s and don't really plan on bugging out.......
donba

Postby Cast Iron » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:25 am

I had a red squirrel determined to gnaw through a five gallon bucket lid to get to the bird seed in there. I found it in time, but he sure did wreck that lid.

Later, I wrecked him with a hollow point pellet to the head.
Cast Iron

Postby rickdun » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:35 am

Cast Iron wrote:I had a red squirrel determined to gnaw through a five gallon bucket lid to get to the bird seed in there. I found it in time, but he sure did wreck that lid.

UHMM, squirrel pot pie with potatoes, carrots, celery, gravey, sounds good.

If you do have trouble with mice, squirrels, etc., I'd go with the 5 gallon buckets with gamma lid. I do store items that are vaccum sealed in 15 gallon tots and store them under the work bench in my garage, but I don't have the critter problem.
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:58 am

Cast Iron wrote:I had a red squirrel determined to gnaw through a five gallon bucket lid to get to the bird seed in there. I found it in time, but he sure did wreck that lid.

most people don't realize that these rodent types are capable of some almost supercreature behavior ... had to give the bad word to a guy on another prepper site - he cut open a IBC tote and made it into a dry foods storage bin - thinking it was rodent proof - they can chew thru light sheetmetal and concrete if necessary - heavy plastic is just teasing them ...
Illini Warrior

Postby RayMac1963 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:29 am

Jeff, you got some good advice above. The only thing that you didn't say that impacts your decision is whats your plan. If you're rural and are storing to have long term inventory, or is this pre-packed in case of evac? Also, whats your transport in case of evac?

Personally, i use mylar zip bags in 5 gal buckets with gamma lids for long term dry goods. Toss some bay leaves and O2 scavengers in and i'm set. I also use 20 gal totes for survival gear and MREs/Mountain house and other food specifically pre staged in case of evac. I drive a truck so i can carry them, and i only use the 20gal size because i can still carry them from my basement no mater how full. (hence Watcher's question). My advice, make your plan as flexible as possible based on what you think you may face.
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:49 am

I started prepping back in 2006, using 5 gallon buckets for dry goods. That was 11 years ago. I'm now 11 years older and not as strong. I've been repacking all my heavy dry goods into 3 gallon buckets, because I've found I can't carry/move those darn 5 gallon buckets anymore. Heavy = 30+ pounds for items like sugar, brown sugar, salt, flour, baking soda, etc.

Just. Can't. Move. Them. :(

Hubby's getting older right along with me and young teenagers that were in the house are young 20-somethings with their own life. Unless they bug back to home, they won't be here. So, don't forget to keep that in mind, LONG term storage, too. -k
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ajax727 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:23 am

Bucks and totes can get real heavy when you get older but I do have a hand cart so moving them out if needed . Totes are good for inside home storage , buckets work inside or out side the home and drums or barrels work great also but I store them in a couple of different barns on the farm . Rats and mice are a real issue they will chew into them mouse traps rat traps and bait keeps them in check .
ajax727

Postby jeffsilver777 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:33 pm

Thank you all so much for the GREAT information on this topic!

I did go out to Home Depot and purchased 5 gallon buckets with the gasket lids. I am also going to use the tote as well. Fortunately, we don't have rodent problems, and I am strong enough to move the tote, if necessary. However, the idea would be that we never really move the tote, but simply pull out the small mylar bags from within it.

24 hours after sealing the bags, and I am amazed at the vacuum that has been created due to the oxygen Absorbers.

Once again, thank you to everyone who responded!

Jeff
jeffsilver777

Postby ReadyMom » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:58 pm

jeffsilver777 wrote:Thank you all so much for the GREAT information on this topic!

I did go out to Home Depot and purchased 5 gallon buckets with the gasket lids.

Jeff

You can also check with your local grocery store bakery department or Wholesale Club store (like Sam's) to see if they have FREE buckets & lids to give you. Might be messy, might be washed, but FREE! --k
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby anita » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:09 pm

ReadyMom wrote:I started prepping back in 2006, using 5 gallon buckets for dry goods. That was 11 years ago. I'm now 11 years older and not as strong. I've been repacking all my heavy dry goods into 3 gallon buckets, because I've found I can't carry/move those darn 5 gallon buckets anymore. Heavy = 30+ pounds for items like sugar, brown sugar, salt, flour, baking soda, etc.

Just. Can't. Move. Them. :(

Hubby's getting older right along with me and young teenagers that were in the house are young 20-somethings with their own life. Unless they bug back to home, they won't be here. So, don't forget to keep that in mind, LONG term storage, too. -k

I realized this with my water, RM. I bought, years ago, the larger 7 gallon stackable blue totes for water. They were heavy to get into the basement, even not quite full. My husband carried them down. Being not quite full, and stacked two high, they have collapsed in on themselves a little. And without my husband here now, and being older, I doubt I'll be able to drag them upstairs. I'll have to drain off some water (I do have a spigot for them) and carry it upstairs in a pitcher, or something.

So when I move--getting there ever so slowly--I plan on buying smaller containers for water, probably the 2 1/2 gallon bricks, that I can lift myself.

You try to prep for what you can foresee. It's the things you can't foresee that are the issue.
anita

Postby daaswampman » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:58 pm

No Chain is stronger then its weakest link.

No man is better than his worst day.

The same can be said for your group or family! What if "The Day" comes on your worst day or during the worst storm you have ever seen?

Choose containers that any or at least most of your crew can handle! When or if "The Day" comes, the last thing you need is injuries! I can easily move a five gallon bucket, 100 five gallon buckets - not so much!

I literally have hundreds of five gallon buckets, all neatly filled and labeled. I am sure they will still be there long after I am gone! Did I mention the 55 gallon drums slowing leading the way into antiquity? Would be a great find for an archaeologist a few thousand years from now! I now use three gallon buckets filled with Mylar bags and canning jars! These I actually inventory and rotate on a regular bases. Swamp
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself