• Advertisement

5 gallon bucket or larger tote?

Welcome to the forum! Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: ReadyMom, mmpaints

Re: 5 gallon bucket or larger tote?

Postby ReadyMom » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:21 pm

That's the beauty of 'seasoned' preppers, Anita & Swamp ... we can offer valuable suggestions that were NOT available to us back in the 'early' days of prepping (2005-06 or so). There's so much MORE available for folks now. So LITTLE info, back then. Sharing info, as we learned is the the backbone to the current prep forums/blogs. -k
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby daaswampman » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:04 pm

ReadyMom wrote:That's the beauty of 'seasoned' preppers, Anita & Swamp ... we can offer valuable suggestions that were NOT available to us back in the 'early' days of prepping (2005-06 or so). There's so much MORE available for folks now. So LITTLE info, back then. Sharing info, as we learned is the the backbone to the current prep forums/blogs. -k

Do you mean like the two tons of hard red wheat I stored in 1999 and I don't eat bread? Trust me a little humor helps at times! Swamp
Attachments
where's the wheat.jpg
where's the wheat.jpg (32.9 KiB) Viewed 572 times
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:02 am

Ah...1999. I wasn't a full on prepper then. I was only hoarding champagne for an anticipated shortage. I didn't have the red wheat issue. All bottles were drank. :)

One suggestion about lots of small mylar bags in a large container is to think about what's inside the bags and how they're packed in that larger container. If contents are coarse and/or many bags stacked, by rubbing together one could end up with a few bags tearing or getting pinholes.

I store a variety of things, but mostly in 5gal buckets or #10 can cases, as they are portable enough with a hand truck. I recently moved and had to relocate my food stores. I was able to do this in one truckload, however...that was just the food. If I had to bug out with all my food and gear, my vehicle would look like one of those overladen 3rd world trucks.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby sageprice » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:45 am

Since I have chickens, my grain is in constant circulation. I use to have squirrel and rodent problems until I lazily left a bucket of used engine oil out before I re-bottled it to recycle. Next day I found a mouse in it. Disposed of the mouse and went to change the antifreeze. Still being lazy, I left it in an open bucket by the oil, found another mouse in the oil. Huh? A liquid mouse trap. Then I started to find dead squirrels. Were the drinking antifreeze? Well anyway I don't have any squirrel or mouse problems.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:07 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:
Cast Iron wrote:I had a red squirrel determined to gnaw through a five gallon bucket lid to get to the bird seed in there. I found it in time, but he sure did wreck that lid.

Later, I wrecked him with a hollow point pellet to the head.

most people don't realize that these rodent types are capable of some almost supercreature behavior ... had to give the bad word to a guy on another prepper site - he cut open a IBC tote and made it into a dry foods storage bin - thinking it was rodent proof - they can chew thru light sheetmetal and concrete if necessary - heavy plastic is just teasing them ...

Squirrels are Super Smart Devils. They can figure out just about anything thrown at them.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Gunns wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:
Cast Iron wrote:I had a red squirrel determined to gnaw through a five gallon bucket lid to get to the bird seed in there. I found it in time, but he sure did wreck that lid.

Later, I wrecked him with a hollow point pellet to the head.

most people don't realize that these rodent types are capable of some almost supercreature behavior ... had to give the bad word to a guy on another prepper site - he cut open a IBC tote and made it into a dry foods storage bin - thinking it was rodent proof - they can chew thru light sheetmetal and concrete if necessary - heavy plastic is just teasing them ...

Squirrels are Super Smart Devils. They can figure out just about anything thrown at them.

Not a 19grn pellet moving at 800FPS.

They sure can stop one with their head. :)
Cast Iron

Postby RayMac1963 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:41 pm

NJMike wrote:Ah...1999. I wasn't a full on prepper then. I was only hoarding champagne for an anticipated shortage. I didn't have the red wheat issue. All bottles were drank. :)

Pfffft... In 99 i was closer to Tyler from American Preppers then the zen type cat i am now. ;) Getting ready for y2k I have about 5 or 6k into a gas genny system in my garage that completely ran my basement and kitchen (no visible lights above ground, I had ammo and water stacked up but mainly food for a short term siege. I had wood panel barricades for my first floor windows with gun slots, and had glass blocked all my basement widows for security. Time has a way of mellowing your concept of what a crisis would look like. I'm not looking for a fight like i use to.
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:42 pm

In '99 I was content with a lot of champagne if the world went to hell. Perhaps...that was more Zen. :p

Actually I was in IT and didn't buy into the Y2K panic. 8)
NJMike

Postby RayMac1963 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:15 pm

Yeah, Champagne is definitely more Zen. :rofl:
RayMac1963

Postby SSG Nasty » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:44 am

Sound advice from a friendly forum.