• Advertisement

Hey, from NE Arkansas

Welcome to the forum! Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: ReadyMom, mmpaints

Hey, from NE Arkansas

Postby keysbottles » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:47 pm

We live in the sticks and have pretty much always had a garden, cows, guns and other country stuff but a few years ago my daughter and her family started talking about prepping. It seems to have caught on in the family and the last year my wife and I and three of our four kids have become more serious about the subject of being prepared for a possible rocky future.

We already have weapons and ammo but have began stocking up on long term storage foods (rice, beans, sugar, flour, etc) stored in mylar bags. amazing what you can buy for $100 at Sams Club bulk food section.

I use Google and YouTube for education and info. The kids and their family live with in an hour from the farm and it has been decided that will be our BOL to live and defend until better times.

We're lucky to have an RN and NP in the family and they are putting together medical stuff on the cheap.

We're still trying to educate our self and fill the gaps. I'll be looking for information about chickens, bees, candle making etc. in the future. I would welcome getting to know like minded folks.

This is a great site. A lot of much needed information. Thanks in advance for your help. Have a good one. don
keysbottles

Re: Hey, from NE Arkansas

Postby IceFire » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Welcome from SE Arizona! Sounds like you've already gotten a good head start. Many people who "prep" don't have a clue about growing/raising their own food, so you're ahead of the curve on that. For good information on raising chickens (they're really not difficult), goats, sheep, rabbits, pigs, etc. I highly recommend the books from Storey publishing "Storey's Guide to Raising ** (name your critter) Not only do they have the information about different breeds, but they also have information on feed (including making your own feed), housing, veterinary care, but also info on butchering.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:48 am

Welcome from GA. Glad to have you on board.

FP
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby wrighteous » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:22 pm

Howdy, welcome, from a fellow new guy.
wrighteous

Postby keysbottles » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:19 pm

Welcome back at you. Where are you located? Are you an experienced prepper or newbie like me?
keysbottles

Postby IceFire » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:17 pm

Depends on which one of us you mean! If it's me, I've been at it for decades. When we were bouncing all over the world it was hard to do much more than food/water and some of the other basics, but now that we've finally gotten settled on our "homestead" it's a LOT easier to do more, and are working more toward self-sufficiency. Livestock-wise, so far we have horses, goats and chickens, with plans for cattle and pigs eventually. Once we get more land cleared, we'll be able to fence off the back9 1/2 acres, and eventually put in areas for hay and grain, as well.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Introduce Yourself