• Advertisement

manual well pumps

Discussions about water storage, filtration, purification and procurement

manual well pumps

Postby Rabid » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:53 pm

I have been wondering what I am going to do without electric to power my well pump. My well is only 80' deep so I started looking for a manual pump. I found one that will fit my needs but I was wondering if anyone knew about its reliability or a reliable cheaper model.

http://flojak.com/?gclid=CJup25fPl7ECFQff4Aodq3Iafg
DAMMIT IM MAD spelled backwards is DAMMIT IM MAD
Rabid

Re: manual well pumps

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:12 pm

We purchased a Simple Pump and had it installed in our well. It is a great product. Would recomend it to anyone. Very easy to install. 50 year warranty.
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby angie_nrs » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:42 pm

I was wondering what you decided on. I'm looking to buy a manual pump for my Christmas present. :clap: I mean, who doesn't want a manual well pump for Christmas right??? :floppytongue:

Anyways, I was wondering if those who already have one would offer input. I have looked at:
* Flojak - but they are pricey - would be $800 for one I want and that's with a 20% disc. and free shipping
* Handy Well Pumps - found on Amazon - still researching but I think it would be much cheaper at about $300
* Simple pump - just started researching - not sure of pricing yet.

My well is 190' with a static level of 130' and a 5" casing. I don't really intend on leaving the device there all the time. I mainly just want it for extended power outages so it will likely just sit on my shelf. I just know I will feel much more comfortable having it. Are there any others I should consider?
angie_nrs

Postby catfeet » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:24 pm

You could take a look at Monitor pumps too http://www.bakerwatersystems.com/produc ... hand_pumps, and Heller Aller also has a deep well pump.
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby bane5150 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:54 pm

Check out this website...I wonder if one can be purchased as its a Africa clean water project. Pump can pull from approx 300 feet down...Maybe a similar pump can be found...IMO a cranking pump would take less work to do the same job. There are a few African projects that I would like to have on My property...
http://icdinternational.org/pcp-deep-well-pump/
Vincit Qui Patitur (He who endures conquers)
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.” ― Charles Darwin

P!
No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission.
bane5150
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby angie_nrs » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:46 pm

catfeet wrote:You could take a look at Monitor pumps too http://www.bakerwatersystems.com/produc ... hand_pumps, and Heller Aller also has a deep well pump.

Those look nice, but I'm really not looking for a permanent pump at this time. I'm looking for something that will slide into the current well for short term water needs. Although, I'm glad you posted it b/c this summer we may be looking for a permanent pump for a capped well we have on our property.
angie_nrs

Postby anita » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:09 pm

We got a Bison Pump. The well driller who installed it was impressed enough that he now recommends it to others looking for a hand pump. It is permanently installed though. They do have a quick release version, though, I think.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby usafdan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:56 pm

Save your self a lot of money and build your own! There are a lot of videos of how to build one. Preppin_4_SHTF has made a very nice diagram that would work great in your 80' well. I will try to add the diagram.

download/file.php?id=2080&mode=view
usafdan
South Carolina Preppers Network
South Carolina Preppers Network

Postby FussyOldHen » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:28 pm

"I mean, who doesn't want a manual well pump for Christmas right???"

Anyone with a brain wants a manual well pump. I would like to have one. I would like to have a well, too.
FussyOldHen

Postby Fullmoon » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:52 pm

I bought an Oasis hand pump. Its a new version of the old pitcher pump but this one is made out of carbon fiber so nothing can rust. Mounted it on my well and did a test run to make sure it works and have never had the need to use it, yet. Always good to have a backup plan. My well water is only 11 feet below the ground surface so this pump will suffice.
Fullmoon

Postby john_arnold7 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:00 pm

How deep is your water table? Water table at our place is about 2-3ft,bit the well goes down 100ft. Drillers go deeper for flow. I shallow pump may work. I prefer the long stroke hand pumps for volume.
john_arnold7

Postby john_arnold7 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Be aware that some areas the gov. Is trying to prevent people from useing ground or rain water. They are going as far as to charge you for hording water. And wanting meters installed to charge you for water you pump. They are taking out peoples wells when they run city water by your house and charging for service even if your not hooked up. They pulled the well at my moms and she found out later they had no right to do so. They won't allow her to have a new well installed now as well
john_arnold7

Postby DuckNCover » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:25 pm

bane5150 wrote:Check out this website...I wonder if one can be purchased as its a Africa clean water project. Pump can pull from approx 300 feet down...Maybe a similar pump can be found...IMO a cranking pump would take less work to do the same job. There are a few African projects that I would like to have on My property...
http://icdinternational.org/pcp-deep-well-pump/

That is very interesting. Looks like they made it in 2012. Wish they could mass produce it. I wonder what the flow rates are for different depths per revolution of the crank?

Would be very interesting to Re-Engineer it with a pulley/belt system so that you could operate it using a windmill or small lawnmower engine.
DuckNCover

Postby Rabid » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:33 pm

DAMMIT IM MAD spelled backwards is DAMMIT IM MAD
Rabid

Postby Gazrok » Fri May 09, 2014 9:48 am

I'm looking to install a manual pump alongside our current submersible pump. So far, the Simple Pump (brand) looks like a winner, I just need to do all the measuring, etc. for a good quote. If you don't mind, ForwardPreppers, how much did yours run?
Gazrok

Next

Return to Water