• Advertisement

Starting your survival library for pennies on the dollar

The basics to getting started on your journey to preparedness.

Moderator: ReadyMom

Re: Starting your survival library for pennies on the dollar

Postby Photon Guy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:37 am

North Idaho Patriot wrote:So you've always wanted to have a shelf full of survival and preparedness books but maybe you don't have the hundreds or even thousands of dollars it would take to buy all the books that you want in order to fill it with all that valuable survival information. In this article you will learn that YES you can have your own survival library for pennies on the dollar and I am about to show you how.

Step one

Find a good source for free survival and preparedness information online.

Here are some examples:

* Blogs
* Forums
* cd3wd.com (over 4000 titles totaling over 13 gigabytes)
* http://www.FreeSurvivalDisk.com (We will ship you over 200 ebooks, manuals, and pdf's on a single CD for a suggested donation of $2.97 to cover shipping and handling costs. Or download files directly from the site for free)

Step two

Purchase several 3 ring binders to hold your printed information. You can order these online, however with the cost of shipping this may not be the best method unless you can get wholesale rates and order several dozen binders or more at once. Try your local merchants, office supply stores and even second hand stores. Sometimes you can get these dirt cheap at yard sales, flee markets, and "going out of business" sales.

Step three

Begin printing your ebooks. *Note. With the cost of many of the ink cartridges on the market this can get expensive and defeat the purpose of printing your own books unless you have a high volume printer or laser printer capable of printing your pages at a cost of $0.02 per sheet or less. Another method is to refill your own ink. I won't advise you on the best way to do this because if you are not doing it right you can mess up your printer. So beware, research your printer thoroughly (or buy a cheap printer just in case you mess up) and study up on how to properly refill your own ink. You accept full responsibility should you damage your printer. However, if done right, the savings can be very rewarding. My ink costs are less than $2 per ink cartridge which is about a 95% savings over the store bought name brand cartridges. I refill all my ink...(I will note that I went through 2 printers before I finally got it down right.)

If you want to purchase and refill your own ink there are several companies you can find online. I order mine through 123refills.net. They offer a good step by step process for choosing the right refill kits for your specific printer.

Step four

Add Your Pages.

Start punching your holes and adding your pages to your binder.

I like to include a Contents Page and tabs to divide the ebooks. If you use large binders you can often add several books to one binder.

I number the contents page 1...2...3... and so on for each title. I do this for each title or ebook in the binder. For the tabs, rather than naming them, I number them relative to my contents page numbers in case if later I want to change the contents page, add more ebooks, or remove some books. It's a lot less work than redoing your tabs when you want to make changes.

Step five

Now add your cover and spine label. If it's just one book that you've printed, you can name and label your binder after the book, or If it's a compilation of books you can name it whatever you want. For Example: "My Survival Compilation Volume one"...Or "My gardening book Volume 2"etc...

Now you can turn this......

Into this....

For just pennies on the dollar!

*Note. Please be respectful of copyrights and only copy and print ebooks that are free for copy or in the public domain.

Feel free to copy this article to share with others. Just reference the American Preppers Network!

Wow! Talk about being resourceful! But that's just it, being resourceful is what being a good prepper is all about. But, even if somebody could afford all the books for hundreds or thousands of dollars it makes much more sense to do it like this and save.
Photon Guy

Postby Highlander1 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:41 pm

I totally agree with the idea of having the how to knowledge to not just survive, but to thrive.
Salvation Army and second hand stores are great places to find all kinds of books cheaply.
I also find a lot of good How To books and reprints of old books that my grandparents, great grandparents, and even great great grandparents would have used when settling the wilds of this country from Lindsay Publications online. http://www.lindsaybks.com
Another source of possible books are yard and estate sales.
It has been said that things are transient and can be taken, but what you know can never be taken from you.
Don't forget the senior citizens and the knowledge they have accumulated over the years. Many have survived some of the most difficult times this country has seen in the last century.
Knowledge is all around, we just have to know how to find it.
Highlander1

Postby Rich61 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:48 am

I found 2 websites that still offer free downloadable information

http://www.pssurvival.com/

http://www.textfiles.com/survival/

They're still active now but I don't know for how long
Rich61

Postby irbaba3 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:09 am

They do not provide free disks anymore, only downloads. Do you know where can I get similar disk?
irbaba3

Postby tc556guy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:03 am

irbaba3 wrote:They do not provide free disks anymore, only downloads. Do you know where can I get similar disk?

You can get in on my mailing list for the external drives that are going around via snail mail.

I mainly work on that project in the winter, so this time of year it's a bit disorganized and requiring more effort on your part to go through and weed out stuff you're not immediately interested in.

Or you can download a collection yourself from the various prep site document collections that are out there, although you'll find that a lot of stuff has been taken down that's not strictly in the public domain.
tc556guy

Previous

Return to How To Start Prepping (The Basics)