• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

WHY Prepare?

The basics to getting started on your journey to preparedness.

Moderator: ReadyMom

WHY Prepare?

Postby ReadyMom » Sun May 30, 2010 4:12 pm

Greetings!
Preparation for emergencies is preparing for ANYTHING that can affect the NORMAL ROUTINE in your DAILY LIFE. I have been promoting emergency home preparation for the past several years and have attended many national Emergency Management conferences. This is not a concern due to 'Paranoia aka a "paranoid power trip"', 'Christian Hype', 'Extremism' and a sundry of other excuses that many have often referred to. Emergency Managers and Emergency agencies are aware of the many situations that families can find them selves from something as 'simple' as a loss of jobs to an extreme situation from weather, disaster or terrorism. The scale of emergencies is wide.

The people who refer to themselves as 'Preppers' have looked at current world and weather events, evaluated the risk at hand (given our 'just in time' supply for daily goods and taken the advice of the agencies to prepared.

Preparation can be as simple as 2-weeks of supplies in hand (IN ADDITION to what is currently in your household) or you can prepare for the extended lengths of time that others have mentioned in these posts. Preparation should be what you can afford and what you feel comfortable with, knowing that what preparations you HAVE made can only help your family, when you find yourself in need.

Homeland Security, FEMA and the American Red Cross have ALL been advocating home preparedness in more recent years, with programs like the ‘Be Ready’ campaign. They have openly suggested that households prepare from 3 days to 2 weeks AT THE MINIMUM. If they suggested anything further it would turn people off even considering emergency home preparation because they would be overwhelmed at the mere thought of preparation. Unfortunately, their message has been a relatively quiet one, so many folks may have missed it. See American Red Cross/FEMA: Food and Water in an Emergency http://www.fema.gov/pdf/library/f&web.pdf (page 4) See Homeland Security (Ready.gov): Get a Kit
http://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit

And if you think that in a significant disaster/emergency there WILL be goods in stores, the American Trucking Industry has advised that there will NOT be sufficient supplies WITHIN 24 HOURS! See: 'When Trucks Stop America Stops' http://www.truckline.com/Newsroom/Truck ... 0Stops.pdf .

If you are taking the time to visit American Preppers Network and are realizing that this may be a venture that you want to undertake in your own home, you can also visit sites like http://www.EmergencyHomePreparation.org, http://www.thesurvivalmom.com and other sites to develop your own balanced decision on emergency home preparation for ALL hazards that can affect your lifestyle.

Additonal Consideration: Watch this video:
Last edited by ReadyMom on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Updated Link, updated YouTube Link
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: WHY Prepare?

Postby sbsion » Sun May 30, 2010 5:41 pm

"..to be prepared or not to be..." that is not a good question.always be is better
there are no mysteries, only undiscovered truths, find one today

-----------------------------------------------
Food, water and first aid problems?
http://www.oursurvival2012.blogspot.com
sbsion
APN Sponsor Member
APN Sponsor Member

Postby IceFire » Sun May 30, 2010 6:51 pm

Excellent post, ReadyMom! EVERYONE should consider it to be their RESPONSIBILITY to make emergency preparations for themselves and their family. It's only common sense.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby itsadisaster » Sun May 30, 2010 8:40 pm

Thank you ReadyMom -- you're the BEST!! :D And you're so correct Ice .. sadly a majority of the population don't even have a basic plan, kits, etc .. but more and more are starting to pay attention. And RM's above intro is a great place to start!!
Be Aware... Be Prepared... and Have a Plan! Download our free mini ebook ... and support APN by becoming a Gold Member
itsadisaster
Arizona State Moderator
Arizona State Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Sun May 30, 2010 8:57 pm

If you'd like MORE info on WHY you need to prepare, see this:

MORE Reasons to Prepare-It's NOT just Pandemics.
http://emergencyhomepreparation.org/vie ... e5d5bb4855

And keep this quote in mind:

“Pulling together and doing our part to mount an effective response.“
Gary Locke
Commerce Secretary
of the United States

Edited to update link
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Brother Love » Mon May 31, 2010 2:17 am

WHY Prepare?

Because Id rather be a silly goose, than a dead duck :shakeno:
Now you got yourself two good hands' And when your brother is troubled you've gotta reach out your hand for him 'cause that's what it's there for
And when your heart is troubled you've gotta reach out your other hand, reach it out to the Man up there 'Cause that's what He's there for
Brother Love

Postby MrDanB » Mon May 31, 2010 9:25 pm

Great post (as always) Ready Mom! I prep for sovereignty, for comfort, for knowledge, for keeping me and my family safe, and because the alternative equals waiting on others for help....
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator
Washington State Moderator

Postby sbsion » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:34 am

Brother Love wrote:
WHY Prepare?

Because Id rather be a silly goose, than a dead duck :shakeno:

or a chicken instead of a "dumb cluck"? :D ;)
there are no mysteries, only undiscovered truths, find one today

-----------------------------------------------
Food, water and first aid problems?
http://www.oursurvival2012.blogspot.com
sbsion
APN Sponsor Member
APN Sponsor Member

Postby BATTLEBOY SURPLUS » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:37 pm

I believe that each individual should be responsible for Protecting and Providing for their OWN Family. It would be nice to rely on outside agencies and groups who are tasked with doing so and are paid for with Our TAX Dollars. One thing that has never, ever been discussed by the Media and in BLOGS is that Human Beings are born with the instinct to SURVIVE. Most also protect their Own. With this being said, I had a few thoughts about this in the 1980's when I was deciding on which Armed Service to Serve in.
- If I am tasked with helping someone else in the course of MY SERVICE- Police or Military, who will be watching and caring for my LOVED ONES?!?

- What would I do if I were ordered to HELP others in need after finding out MY OWN FAMILY was in Danger and needed me?!? Would I just Follow Orders and help others, or would I accept future repercussions and go help my Family?!?
- Since all of the "help" Agencies are staffed by Human Beings who most likely have Families or other Loved ones, can you blaim them for not helping you IF,THEY have their own personal EMERGENCY or CRISIS??!?
- What if it were IMPOSSIBLE for me to get to my Family in time, if at all?!?
- My own, personal conclusion was this- I will always have the means available for my FAMILY. With me or without me, they will have FOOD, WATER, MEDICAL and FIRST AID GEAR of some type, HEAT, LIGHT of some type and something for thieir own Protection- along with misc supplies.

Christopher Storm :gunsmile: :thumbup:
BATTLEBOY SURPLUS
APN Sponsor Member
APN Sponsor Member

Postby Lynda » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:58 pm

Excellent blog. Nice to see so many who do consider this.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Postby BATTLEBOY SURPLUS » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:34 am

I have had these thoughts for a long time. I think everone is caught up with the "me" and ""I" and "I AM OWED"and "HELP ME, and just ME" mindset!! Those tasked with helping have there own problems. Are they being selfish if they help their own Families? :thumbup:
BATTLEBOY SURPLUS
APN Sponsor Member
APN Sponsor Member

Postby Lynda » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:54 am

Battleboy, I've always thought that unless one's own safety and security, as well as nourishment is secured, then it would be impossible to help others. Unless you take care of yourself first, you're in no condition to assist.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda

Postby BATTLEBOY SURPLUS » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:57 am

I agree. It is just that so many people expect someone to come running and help them, then blame everyone else for not helping. This does not excuse those tasked with helping from actually providing some type of assistance.
BATTLEBOY SURPLUS
APN Sponsor Member
APN Sponsor Member

Postby Roknrandy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:11 am

BATTLEBOY SURPLUS wrote:I have had these thoughts for a long time. I think everone is caught up with the "me" and ""I" and "I AM OWED"and "HELP ME, and just ME" mindset!! Those tasked with helping have there own problems. Are they being selfish if they help their own Families? :thumbup:

Your 100% correct BB. It's all about "me" which is really sad. People just don't pay attention to what's going on in the world anymore, they are too busy with whats directly affecting them and not seeing the larger picture.
FAILURE TO PLAN ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART
Roknrandy

Postby BATTLEBOY SURPLUS » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:31 pm

Would you believe that during OIF 3, 2005-2006, I came home on leave and people did not know we were in Afghanistan. I received snotty comments from Civilians about Iraq, some of them did not know about Troops deployed elsewhere.
BATTLEBOY SURPLUS
APN Sponsor Member
APN Sponsor Member

Next

Return to How To Start Prepping (The Basics)