• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

How many people starting garden from seeds they saved?

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

Re: How many people starting garden from seeds they saved?

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:46 pm

Mike, do they have the country of origin? I had heard some rumblings about Chinese seed packets.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby NJMike » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:13 am

ForwardPreppers wrote:Mike, do they have the country of origin? I had heard some rumblings about Chinese seed packets.

Mrs FP

These were all "American Seed" brand from the same company, Plantation Products, that owns Ferry-Morse. I checked all the different packets and none had a country of origin marked, so I'm assuming they're domestic as Chinese items have usually been marked as such.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:11 pm

Thanks mike for checking those packages - I need to go check them out. I'm not usually a dollar store shopper.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby ajax727 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:54 pm

90 % of our seeds we have had for years beans , peas , okra , peppers , tomatoes , squash , cucumbers , we store them in the freezer and we also buy fresh seeds each year to try different kinds . We pick the dry pea and bean pods and store them in buckets or feed sacks . Mouth balls work great to keep the bugs out .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby casualprepper » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:13 am

Sadly I live in literally the worst possible location for a garden. Have tried to start one twice and failed. The soil is just awful it is like 90% clay.
casualprepper

Postby NJMike » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:20 pm

@casualprepper- Don't be deterred by bad soil. As a suggestion, you could try container gardening, and get better soil from somewhere else.

I recently had to move and that's the mode I find myself in at the moment. I went from a decent sized and productive garden with raised beds, separate patches of berry bushes, and a patio with many container plants to just a very small patio last year. With that smaller space and having to hand water without benefit of a water hose, I managed half a dozen tomato plants, a dozen pepper plants, and about the same total number of herbs. I also pulled a few plants inside to keep over winter and had to deal with aphids indoors. For me, it's been helpful to practice and keep up gardening skills, and it's a learning experience to be tested by a bad gardening setup. With starting seeds I feel the same way, thus I don't mind seed fails because I learn more each time I have failed germination, mold, or leggy stems.
NJMike

Postby ForwardPreppers » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:58 pm

casualprepper wrote:Sadly I live in literally the worst possible location for a garden. Have tried to start one twice and failed. The soil is just awful it is like 90% clay.

Raised beds is the way to go. Buy them, build them and fill with miracle grow soil. You'll be glad you did.
Look up growing potatoes in 5 gallon buckets - we did this a couple of times. Quite successful. We had to raise them off the ground though, using landscape timbers.
Where there's a will.....

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby IceFire » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:14 pm

casualprepper wrote:Sadly I live in literally the worst possible location for a garden. Have tried to start one twice and failed. The soil is just awful it is like 90% clay.

I now the feeling...my soil is a mixture of clay and caliche., with almost NO organic material. My remedy is raised beds, and work in as much organic material as possible (composted manure, straw, crushed eggshells, used coffee grounds, etc.) and work in some sand, as well. Also, gypsum will help to break up the clay soil.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cadit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:38 am

Well; I've used the seeds two years in a row now: Okra, Tomato, squash, Jalapeno Peppers, Watermelon, Yellow Corn, Green Beans. Don't recall the type, but Also planted an Apple Tree two year ago, about 8 feet tall now, a Peach Tree but it died, Planting a Pear Tree next. Put in a Blackberry bush, really large Blackberries.

Going to put in a Herb garden next, out front by the bedroom window. I use herbs a lot. Make my own herbal meds and teas. Love it, have gotten away from most pharm chemicals I use to put into my body. But still have a few around. Example: Aspirin, which comes from the White Willow Tree bark. I make my own now. Less side effects, does the same, relives minor pain.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:49 pm

The last couple of years, had some issues with germination of seeds, had to plant them several times. Most of
the cheap seeds I've found were from china or somewhere. Not necessarily all, used to be I could throw down
any seed and it would grow. But I'm also wondering if we are getting some drift from what they are spraying
on our surrounding farmland. I've noticed if I'm outside they stop spraying and move elsewhere, that worries
me. I think one year they didn't stop and I had to replant almost everything and the quality wasn't great, but
who knows.

We debated on me growing a garden this year but I just can't give up that good food, not yet anyway. I told hubs
my biggest issue is the weeding. We tried paper last year with poor results. He said he is going to buy a better
plastic this year, that last I just got the Walmart weed block. If I can keep down the weeds better the rest I can
deal with, its all the hoeing and pulling, that gets me down, and then they get ahead of me.

I will not start from seed this year.

I am going to plant what we eat fresh and for canning. I have been growing potatoes and onions and we just
cannot keep them, my basement is too warm, so this year enough to can with and fresh. No sense doing all
that work and have them rot.

If hubs ever gets my little greenhouse up, this is year 3 and I'm still waiting I will start from seed, will save
a ton of money for sure.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby NJMike » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:29 am

I'm going to start doing a seed rotation with the many packet or saved seeds I have. First in, first out will keep the germination rates higher on what's being saved or set aside every year. All my old seeds were inventoried this past weekend, with seeds going back to at least 2008. I suspect most older than 2014 will not do well germinating at all, but I'm interested to see what's possible and with which veggies/herbs the best results are had. Eventually I'll being doing the same with several seed vault canisters I've kept sealed.
NJMike

Previous

Return to A.N.T.S.