• Advertisement

OK: You're a Survivalist/Prepper

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

OK: You're a Survivalist/Prepper

Postby Cadit » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:04 pm

We know that most here are survivalist or preppers, some both. But lets get real; there are times that you can't carry all your gear and weapons. Say you're a hundred miles from home and the curtain drops. You left that morning and expected to be back that night. You made it there, but soon after, the lights went out. And after checking different means of power, you realized it happened. You've trained and prepared for this, but the ugly truth of it is, it hits you square in the face and leaves you numb for a moment, some will have a meltdown and others rise to the challenge. Their families need and depend on them.

We all get careless or brainblocked and we only took our day bag, Enough for three days, but no much more. as light as your day bag is, you figure you can hoof-it around 2 mile a hour. Figure the distance and time required. but; lets say in this scenario that you dummied down and only had a handgun and food and your normal array of gear and not much money on hand, and after a few days, that will only be good for toilet paper.

How does that few hours look?
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen

Re: OK: You're a Survivalist/Prepper

Postby NJMike » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:03 pm

It's an odd starting premise to me that someone is not prepared to get themselves home on a land route, but is going to have a handgun and food.
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:16 pm

Only 2 mph? Heck, my normal walking pace is 3 mph,(and I've got short legs!) more if I'm in a hurry. Given my normal walking pace, I figure I'd be home in 3 days, so my pack, plus the additional food and water that I keep in the car would get me home. Oh, and I ALWAYS keep money stashed in the car, and always have my pistol and ammo, so think I'd be good.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cin » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:24 pm

I'm with NJ Mike - when Husband and I go out and about, 100 miles from home, we chat about ways and means to make it back home. We talk about what could happen, how we can get around it, and so on. We do this whenever we leave the homestead just as a mental exercise.

Situational awareness is a always on our minds, and we pay attention, especially in crowds, or away from home.

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:35 pm

ya, thats a hard premise to approach on a prepper forum.

lol...If anyone finds yourself there, I think you need to read more post here and be prepped a bit better!

But I understand the scenario....Got your EDC but nothing else really.

In that case I'd immediately spend the cash to prep for the walk, food, water, better shoes if needed,(If not enough cash to buy a bike), and start walking....If I could secure a bike immediately, I'd spend every penny on that if I had to....churches along the way would provide food if really needed for the limited days to get home with a bike......Day travel first few days followed by night travel after it starts to get real for others out there.....Not 100% set on travel times depending on populace reactions.

While I'm not as trigger happy or prepped as Morgan in Going Home, I always have at least a good amount of cash and silver while traveling any distance, but there's a lot of times I know that I'll be in a venue where my EDC isn't allowed...That's where my lock-box comes in....Those times though, I'm most likely within 20 miles of the house and even then I have enough cash on me to buy a really good bike if I even needed to.

In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!

Postby John Galt 1 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:07 pm

Members of our family rarely get more than 20 miles from the house and all vehicles have a lightweight GHB with everything from 2000 calories of food to moleskin. These bags weigh about 18 lbs so they hopefully can make it back in a day. If they can't get back in a day items like a poncho, thermal blanket, and spare batteries for the flashlight will help. A sleeping bag and tent would probably not get used so their GHBs don't have that weight.

Since I travel further from the house (600+ miles is not unusual) my GHB is larger (45 lbs) with 3 days of food and just more stuff to help me travel.

I used to spend a lot of time backpacking and for a few years got paid to lead groups on overnight trips. On a good rolling hills trail with a heavy pack a young adult can make about 2mph and cover about 15 miles a day. Figure 20 miles per day with a light pack on good roads if the person has good shoes and socks and is not a couch potato. In steeper areas I'd plan for a group to move at 1 to 1 1/2 mph and may cover 10 miles per day. Yes, a person can go further per day but they will be too worn out to cover a lot of ground the next day. Also if the person is overly tired they are more likely to twist an ankle ect.

I've covered 22 miles in a day (mountain hiking with heavy pack) but I ran marathons at that time so I was in extremely good condition.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby terrapin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:14 pm

First off; If I'm within 20 miles, I'm home.
2nd; There seems to be a lot of folks who like to fantasize about the possible end.
Most of these folks won't last to the end of the first week.

Postby 101airborne » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:50 pm

I'm BOTH I PERP to SURVIVE whatever may happen.

Postby Cadit » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:02 pm

Hi Guys: Like in what John said, I too am a woods type guy, I still camp but now I use a tent and cook stove mainly. Days of ruff camping have gone by the way side. Not old mind you, but 68, I don't do ground sleeping thing unless I have too. After I ETS'd from service, and my wife went our separate ways, I was a loner, stayed in the woods camping a lot. But we learn to adapt to our surroundings. You are right I think, some of the post I have read on other blogs, I don't think have a clue. The one thing I like about ANTS is that we are here to watch after one another in times of distress. If the balloon went up tomorrow, then to each his or her own.

But what I find Precarious is how now uncle Sam wants everyone to prepare, but why? They have guides on what to store, how much and how to keep it. Then turn around and want to tell you haw bad guns are? Go figure. Not rocket science, but some command sense will get you through most of it all.
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen

Postby sageprice » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:00 pm

As I have posted before. To be a Prepper you must be frugal, adaptable, And willing to learn. Does your prepping allow for the possibility that may not want to go home. What about your family escaping to meet you? Are you willing to run to danger or away from it?
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Levi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:18 pm

Not young any more, so I know my pace for 100 miles would probably make it in about 3 - 4 days (in optimum conditions).

My normal day is 70 - 150 miles from home (shortest drive time almost an hour and a half), & I have thought about it a lot. It will depend on how the first few days go, how far I would be able to make it each day. If I have no concerns about being observed, I could probably keep an average 14 hours at 3mph (not my younger comfortable 4.5 mph and longer periods....long legs & a lot better shape) otherwise... I plan to make maybe 10 miles or so a day/night....for a planned week (bag in Jeep and Truck). For the longer distances, I would expect it to be 3 to 4 weeks, Trying to forage as much as I can (I'll only have about a week in the bag, and foraging etc takes time!)
Lesson in irony.

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is actually
proud of the fact it is distributing the greatest amount of free meals and food stamps ever.

The National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior,
asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because the
animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves.

Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Return to A.N.T.S.