• Advertisement

Who is the Authority on Prepping?

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

Who is the Authority on Prepping?

Postby Cadit » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:25 pm

Ok: I have seen so many web sites, books, magazines, Prepper & survivalist Training Sites and they all say the other is wrong about this, about that. Who to believe. There's got to be one that is held above all others as the most authority on this subject. And another thing; gear, clothing, and equipment. What's up with that, is there not a solitary site that can give you the lowdown on what's what? :x
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: Who is the Authority on Prepping?

Postby 3ADScout » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:56 am

Cadit,

Prepping is like law and medicine; lawyers and and doctors "practice" their profession and to me so do preppers we practice it and gain knowledge and experience through that "practice".

You are looking for "authority" in a world of opinion. A widget to one Prepper might be the "best" they ever used but another Prepper might just find one that works or feels better to them. No one is being dishonest it's just their preference. The question we as preppers should ask ourselves about gear is 1) can I afford it? 2) do I really need it? 3) what are review from people who actually used it, anything that is a plus or a minus? 4) is it just Prepper "swag"? 5) is it multipurpose? Those are the things I think about before buying anything.

Prepping is no different than other things in life discussed on the Internet- think about cooking- what's the best gear and best way of cooking something? See my point? The more you read and more importantly the more you "do" you will find what works for "YOU". Use what you read as a why to narrow your choices down. Good luck.
3ADScout

Postby NJMike » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:34 am

I would echo the above. There are lots of opinions, and in many areas there is no one true way. Skills are skills, but how people go about applying them will differ depending. Canning is pretty cut and dry from long established practices. Same for first aid. There are only so many right ways to field dress an animal. There are acceptable well known methods to successful gardening and farming. Fire starting can be done many ways and it's obvious soon enough when there's a fire made or not.

There are facts though. When it comes to gear, there are specifications. One can't debate the superiority of water filtration systems or methods based on gut feelings, unless that gut feeling is a negative one brought on by cryptosporidium...

Other topics are subjective to the type of SHTF, and none of us are able to predict which scenario would happen first. A generally accepted notion is that living on the East Coast near the cities is bad. Yet what if Yellowstone goes up, or the Northwest is hit by a major quake/tsunami before economic meltdown or a pandemic?

Personally, I think there are many authorities on aspects of prepping. I use my own filter in determining whose life story and information is most applicable and when. I'll take medical advice from a medical professional with greater seriousness for example. But the rest of that person's advice may not be as valid as someone else given a different topic like outdoor survival or farming.

And I'm happy to say I'm an authority on nothing at all. Always learning instead. :smartass:
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby 3ADScout » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:01 am

NJMike,

Re: gear specs- Mike know what your saying but even then you have to be very cautious with "advertised" specs. How many FRS radios say 2 miles?!?!? That is why I still think it best when looking for gear to look at reviews from people who have actually used the gear. Case in point I bought a NOAA weather radio made by a well known radio company, the darn thing was so complicated to use/program I never used it and went and bought one that is very simple to use for the whole family (by the same company). Buts great points!
3ADScout

Postby Drakenstead1 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:29 am

I would suggest that there is a larger question implicit in this post. Why is there a "need" for an authority on Prepping?
The fundamental idea behind Prepping is self reliance. We all, one way or another prepare for a governmental, institutional, & general social break down. This by its very definition is a breakdown in authority. Prepping is at its core a process that develops our self sufficiency. That also includes self sufficiency of thought and opinion. Each of us exists in unique circumstances, values and capability. Each of us prepares based on those points to the extent of our willingness and perceived needs. Why would I need an authority to direct me? There are people who know more about many things that I do not. I can learn from them but it is my ultimate judgement that takes precedence. Authority implies there is a hierarchy and a "right" to command. I acknowledge no such right and will judge for myself.
This question is similar to those that ask how to "join" the Prepper community or specific Prepper communities. Prepping is not a club, but the very opposite of a club. You don't join or submit to any authority you simply DO.
There is no governor anywhere with the possible exception of the Deity
Drakenstead1

Postby Servelan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:14 pm

You are, because preparing is individualized and specific to you and your needs.
Servelan

Postby rebnavy1862 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Drakenstead1 wrote:I would suggest that there is a larger question implicit in this post. Why is there a "need" for an authority on Prepping?
The fundamental idea behind Prepping is self reliance. We all, one way or another prepare for a governmental, institutional, & general social break down. This by its very definition is a breakdown in authority. Prepping is at its core a process that develops our self sufficiency. That also includes self sufficiency of thought and opinion. Each of us exists in unique circumstances, values and capability. Each of us prepares based on those points to the extent of our willingness and perceived needs. Why would I need an authority to direct me? There are people who know more about many things that I do not. I can learn from them but it is my ultimate judgement that takes precedence. Authority implies there is a hierarchy and a "right" to command. I acknowledge no such right and will judge for myself.
This question is similar to those that ask how to "join" the Prepper community or specific Prepper communities. Prepping is not a club, but the very opposite of a club. You don't join or submit to any authority you simply DO.

We don't need no stinking badges :shakeno:
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby Cadit » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:44 pm

Not suggesting that there should be a directive in what or how we prep, just that a good solid foundation for those just getting into prepping. As many people have asked me, why is it so hard to get a straight answer to the simplest question on prepping. But instead of getting info on a good starting point, they are flooded with the do's and don'ts that often time only confuse the beginner.

Most of you I agree with that it's and individual preference and choice. But to the beginner, it's all Greek. As a vet, there were only so many selections in gear to chose from, and that depended on your MOS. The M16 was problelly the worst weapon at that time, many a soldier lost their lives because of it. Now today the AR 15 is a very good weapon, and dependable. But as most said; it is an individual decision on gear and weapons. But stop; in the eyes of the beginner, they are all the same. You know this to be true, you were in the beginner stage once. Who is going to advise you best on gear, a prepper or a survivalist? How about weapons, a firearms instructor or a gunsmith? What should one look for as a weapon for a prepper or a survivalist. You know that these are normally their first questions. And to say you are on your own, can be certain death if they have bought a piece of crap of a weapon or gear.

How many gun manufactures are there and how many different types of do they make gun? How many knives are made and how many different types. what is a piece of garbage and what a good starter knife. Do I want a rife, hand gun, or shotgun to start with, and what caliber? I know that this is a loaded question, but you get the idea. The beginner don't know the difference between a Oak or Gum tree.

In my research, I found many that are giving out information that is dumber than me on the subject, and they are telling people things that can get them killed. I am a firm believer in the group setting for survival, I don't say that someone that is bent on the Lone Ranger aspect. I know many are given to that mind-set. Me Like the AR-15, 308 (7.62 and the 50 Cal. for rifles. As for hand guns, 380, 10 and the 45 cal. These I decided myself as for protection. As for shotguns, a 20 gauge and a 12 gauge. I have two tents types, one for the family and one for backpacks. I went through a few tents that were garbage, then someone gave me some tips on how to pick my tent. Now, I've been using my backpack for about six years now, but all of you are right, I chose the one I wanted, but only after being armed with the knowledge given me to make that choice.

Everyone through out their life has at one time or another had a mentor (authority) to guide them, and give you the knowledge to make a educated decisions in certain fields. It's life and it has happened as far back as recorded history. So; no. I'm not implying that we need someone to tell us what to choose or what type to get. Yes; that is an individuals like and dislikes that governs that decision. :shakeyes:
Cadit
Cadit

Postby NJMike » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:17 pm

3ADScout wrote:NJMike,

Re: gear specs- Mike know what your saying but even then you have to be very cautious with "advertised" specs. How many FRS radios say 2 miles?!?!? That is why I still think it best when looking for gear to look at reviews from people who have actually used the gear. Case in point I bought a NOAA weather radio made by a well known radio company, the darn thing was so complicated to use/program I never used it and went and bought one that is very simple to use for the whole family (by the same company). Buts great points!

Yes, I agree. Coincidentally I recently replaced rechargeable batteries in a pair of FRS radios. My AA and 9volts lasted longer. :rolleyes:

You bring up a good point on difference between advertised specs (what is said) and true specs (what it does). I believe this crowd here is pretty savvy and would look up product reviews and by product type be able to separate out the sales pitch material. I'd hope that others learn along the way as it's a valuable life experience skill. ;)
NJMike

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:48 pm

rebnavy1862 wrote:
Drakenstead1 wrote:I would suggest that there is a larger question implicit in this post. Why is there a "need" for an authority on Prepping?

We don't need no stinking badges :shakeno:
Reb

^^^^^^^^^ +10,000! ^^^^^^^^^^

This is exactly correct IMHO...Prepping is SELF-reliance....as a community we grow and expand our knowledge sharing our experience but prepping by nature is personal, and a solitary endeavor.

We have community, of course, for the strength added to the individual, but without the experience, knowledge, a willingness of the individual to take action , and a self imposed desire to grow, the community fails.....It is up to each individual to succeed.

Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Cadit » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:06 pm

Same here; I got the larger battery for my Baofeng HT, over twice the power. My FRS radios do the same, while I have found that the Radio shack batteries last about twice as long as conventional type AA or AAA, the 9 volt I've always liked. Now my HF rig is on household current, so I'm good there unless the unthinkable happens, then it over to battery.

A lot of what you guys say is so true, when I first got into Amateur radio, I was lost. I bought a few bad items and regretted it. which I would've; had anyone guided me in what to look for and what to stay away from. Would have saved me a lot of money that I could have used else where. This was the point I was trying to convey about us older Preppers and survivalist. Don't tell them what to buy; but educate them in what to look for in their purchases. Spend their money wisely, and upgrade at every change.

As for reviews, I have to weigh the pros and cons, some of them good reviews can come from someone that just don't know they got the lower end of the deal. and the complainers, whos to say they don't complain about everything? So you see, who's word do you trust, me its the one that not suggesting a brand over another, but just giving you their learned experience. Not many people are doing that these days. I guess its a secrete. LOL:|

Great talking with you.
Cadit
Cadit

Postby pilgrimtr » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:24 pm

I agree with servalen.. you are the best person to prepare for an emergency. it doesn't have to be SHTF it could be a hurricane, in my area or a an earth quake or what ever. gather the knowledge and adapted it to your situation. pilgrim :gunsmile:
if someone tell you they are an expert, be leary of them. if they tell you they are knowlagable of something.trust them. Remember an ex is a has been and a spert is a drip under pressure. :)
pilgrimtr
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:53 pm

Great food for thought! While I maintain that there is no one expert, there is tons of good information and no reason to reinvent the wheel at every turn!

You see both extremes all the time! Either somebody went camping a few times and they have all the answers or they feel prepared as they purchased a BOB and never opened it! Ah - survival of the fittest!

We are at our best when we share our personal experiences and keep our opinions to a minimum! Which brings up the question posted (Thank You):

Why is there a "need" for an authority on Prepping?

Most people will not think for themselves or accept responsibility for their own actions! It really is that simple and why most will submit to any authority the promises to protect them! Have you laid in a supply of official looking uniforms and documents??? Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Permafrost » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:19 pm

When it comes to prepping in the artic, I'm the authority. At least as far as I'm concerned.

I've looked at some of those artic prepper sites and I'm far from impressed. I've seen guys on youtube talking up products as they test them for a whole 3 or 4 hours, or go on about how they are rated for this or that. Newsflash, read the fine print. If a sleeping bag is rated at -40F you need to see how many hours they tested it or if they were in a tent to get that rating. A few hours will not tell the tale, you need to live in it all winter to get the facts before you go on about it on youtube. Same with boots or parkas.

I live by my gear, literally. I almost died this winter when I went through the ice when it was -50 something Fahrenheit. I know what works and what does not. I've yet to find a site or channel that has real world experience or gear testing, and I've looked. The best I've found it the Trappers Association fur auction in Fairbanks, it is a annual gathering of people who live their lives in the woods. We trade tips and gear reviews, mostly lamenting a bad purchase but occasionally raving about something that actually worked well. We also talk a lot about fur and what we think the prices will be next year, but that has nothing to do with prepping.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:34 pm

As has been noted by previous posters, there is NO single authority on prepping! Everybody's circumstances are DIFFERENT, thus what works for one person or situation may NOT work for another. Even the so-called "experts" are basing their opinions on the circumstances/situations that THEY consider important to prep for.

One thing about opinions, however: they are quite similar to buttholes, in that everybody has one, and they all stink to one degree or another!

For example, what I consider important to prep for is VASTLY different than what Permafrost considers it important to prep for, since our climates and individual circumstances are nowhere near similar. We each have different factors to contend with, thus we prep differently. Likewise, we BOTH prep differently than say, Swamp; again, because the situations are different.

You may find some information that is good as a GENERAL outline, but then things need to be tailored to your own INDIVIDUAL situation.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to A.N.T.S.