• Advertisement

Primary Four Prepper Needs

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

Primary Four Prepper Needs

Postby Cadit » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:03 pm

Greetings all: Hope the World is Treating You Right:

OK; this subject may or may not have been covered a lot, but lets see and put it out there for those who have just begun prepping. I understand that the four primary areas of prepping is: Water, Food, Medical and Security. Correct me if I missed something or wrong in its line-up.

Just as a basic line up of each, let start with water: we know that you need a minimal of one gallon of water a day per-person per-day. to live, this is not taking into account the water you will need for cooking, cleaning and bathing/washing cloths for each person in your group. So; in a group of 12 people, that would be 12 gallons of water per-day just for drinking. Lets stop there and move onto Food.

Ok; next is food, what is needed for the survival on food. Well you figure that a person today that is on a diet has a calorie intake of around 1400 to 1800 calories a day while dieting. Not much food. But in a WGM Scenario where you have to have your meals provide you with enough calories and protein to make you useful to our group or to your family. I read that today people eat 2200 to 2400 calories a day and more for those whos job require hi-energy and stamina. Lets stop here as well.

now we have our Medical issues, health, disease, emergency treatments for injuries. I think this is pretty much self explanatory. But please comment if you chose.

Then we have Security, the safety aspect of survival. Where you have you guns, ammo, training, scopes and so forth. Recon, intel gathering and many other facets that make up the security need. But most forget this or think its not that necessary to have command included. Wrong; its comms, comms will be the back bone of your security network. It tells you if you have something headed your way or not, it also tells you if you are lacking in an area. Comms is just as important as any other device you have on your belt. It aids in deployment of your offensive and defensive teams. All the while supplying you with up to the minute up-dates, any contacts or if enemy engagements. If I were the one in charge, I would want to know now and not later that an enemy had been engaged, where and when.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: Primary Four Prepper Needs

Postby Permafrost » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:06 am

I think it depends on the situation, but I always went with food water shelter not in that order.

A person needs 2 1/2 gal a day if it is above 80 and they are doing manual labor for all day. Likewise in the winter when it is colder than about -20, all the moisture in the air freezes out and you loose a lot through your skin even if you are not active.

I eat about 4000 or 5000 calories a day in the summer, but I am extremely active and I am also trying to put on about 3 to 5 pounds of fat each month. In the winter I will eat 8000 to 10000 calories a day and still loose weight, but I think nothing of going out and cutting/splitting firewood all day at -50 so take my recommendations with a grain of salt if you are not that active.

I would put shelter before medical or security. Exposure kills more people than dehydration or starvation in emergency situations. In the desert heat a scrap of shade can be more beneficial than a meal in the short term, and on the other side of the spectrum a blizzard will freeze long before you ever get thirsty.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:53 am

it's beans/bullets/band aids .... usually water is included in the food category .... it's simplistic, but if you need to cue card for prepping you have it ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby daaswampman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:39 pm

I am always amused that people think there are simple answers for complex issues! Glad Permafrost weighed in. Our situations could not be any more different, but neither one of us will last long on the Old Prepper's Myth of a gallon of water a day. We also have very different needs for food, shelter, security, weapons, and I would guess just about everything else. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:02 pm

If it's a storm coming, in NJ it's called French Toast Fixins- Bread, Milk, Eggs, and buying up all the Water in a store to make coffee to wash that down. Just a little local humor.

Different situations warrant different needs. Yes; water and food, shelter and security are important. So is hygiene, sanitation, and access to medical treatment. Just to be different, I'm going to throw out Situational Awareness, Resourcefulness, Social Acumen, and Health as personal needs to get through a crisis.

I'd also throw in Luck for good measure. One could find themselves in a BOL surrounded by food, water, supplies, and a group of like-minded friends, but if you're unlucky and find yourself in ground zero of a nuke, meteor, or a plane falling out of the sky during an HEMP attack, then that's the breaks.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Cadit » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:56 am

You Guys are so Cool: A lot of good information here, and you're all right as to the nuts and bolts of surviving. I think anyone being new to this will or could understand the jest of all this info. And that is, don't try and prep for any one event, you never know what's around the corner. But in all events, you will need the basics: Water, Food, Medical and Security. Each of these is contingent on any veritable in each day. Like the plane falling out of the sky, not a normal thing to happen, but it could. Do you need to prep for the falling plane? No; but do plan for those things that you will find in the falling plane that is found in every other disaster. Know or have someone with medical knowledge that can help mitigate injuries and know who you can help and who you can't.

All disasters have the same or similar elements that are required: Water to drink, Food to eat, Medical for injuries and a means for security. Everything else is but an extension of one or all of the above. They would fall into one of those four categories. But remember: your situation may or will be different than that of a fellow prepper, and his from yours. So, we must have the mindset to adjust to the situation, your situation, what you need or have to do. Prepping is not a cookie cutter plan, each one has their own disaster or event that is unique to them. We all don't live in the same geographic location, but all across this country. So; what works here may not work elsewhere. You have to decide what's best for you and yours. You are the one in charge and it’s your responsibility. Many a people have died because they didn't have the mindset for handling a disaster. They never come out of the shock of the event and that person and those that are looking to him or her for direction are lost unless someone steps forward and takes charge.

Again Guys, thanks for stepping up and giving some input into all the different aspects of Prepping.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Postby angie_nrs » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:15 pm

I think one thing here that is being neglected revolves around the psychological aspect of survival. You have to have the "want" to survive, not just the "means" to survive. How many of us will have that "want" if we are the only ones in our families to survive? Also, how good will our decisions be if we are sleep deprived or continually exhausted? How do we know how we will handle tragic events psychologically if we have never encountered them before? Those are the things that worry me more than anything else, not just for myself but also of the people around me. I have led a blessed life thus far, but to have the psychological rug pulled out from under me could possibly devastate me. If I had to watch my DH, kids, or other family members die in front of me, would I still have the will to live? I can't answer that.....b/c I've never been there. If that was my situation, the other aspects of survival would take a back seat for a while..... I'm not saying that having the means to survive is not important, but there are other things to consider that you may not be able to prep for. Your psychological health is just as important to survival as some of the other more tangible needs.
angie_nrs

Postby daaswampman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:35 pm

angie_nrs wrote:I think one thing here that is being neglected revolves around the psychological aspect of survival. You have to have the "want" to survive, not just the "means" to survive. How many of us will have that "want" if we are the only ones in our families to survive? Also, how good will our decisions be if we are sleep deprived or continually exhausted? How do we know how we will handle tragic events psychologically if we have never encountered them before? Those are the things that worry me more than anything else, not just for myself but also of the people around me. I have led a blessed life thus far, but to have the psychological rug pulled out from under me could possibly devastate me. If I had to watch my DH, kids, or other family members die in front of me, would I still have the will to live? I can't answer that.....b/c I've never been there. If that was my situation, the other aspects of survival would take a back seat for a while..... I'm not saying that having the means to survive is not important, but there are other things to consider that you may not be able to prep for. Your psychological health is just as important to survival as some of the other more tangible needs.

You make some great points and I thank you. Working in the Emergency Field, I have seen first hand how differently people react to loss, stress or injury. I have seen big strong men fold and frail women stand strong.

Age is also a huge factor for me. At 67 I do not have the responsibilities I once had. My children are grown and my grandchildren have their parents, something I am deeply thankful for and prayers answered!

Faith is another huge issue for me and I am grateful for every day he gives me and I do not fear the day this life ends. My only real fear is being a burden to those I love. I don't have all the answers, but I do know there are things far worse than death. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Return to A.N.T.S.