• Advertisement

My Home, My Property

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

My Home, My Property

Postby Cadit » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:15 pm

Greeting All:

OK; we have our BOL, Homestead, Farm; what every you have to live on and have prepared for that big event. But; wait, it hasn't happened yet. So; what have you done to ensure that you don't get sued or some other legal action taken against you? Is your property posted to protect you from trespassing and injuries of uninvited guest? Your guard dog or other animal you use for protection that is not caged or confined but runs loose, is you property posted for that?

What I'm addressing here is this; we have prepared for what might happen in the future; tomorrow, the day after or when ever. But we live in the present, with the problems and issues of the present. So; what have you done to protect you and your family from the unintentional incident that lands you in court?
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: My Home, My Property

Postby rickdun » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:55 pm

Well, I have a little over 100 acres and it's all posted.

I have signs out front, out back, both sides of the house that read "ANYONE FOUND HERE AT NIGHT WILL BE FOUND HERE DEAD IN THE MORNING".

Also have signs that read "TRESPASSERS WILL BE SHOT, SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN". I have several other signs and if any snowflake wants to take the chance, they do it at their own risk.

It won't be the first time I've shot (high) at a snowflake and had them arrested for trespassing and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Seems whenever they try to run away, the blast from a shotgun going off, stops them in their tracks, makes it easy for me.

Last fall two guys were behind the barn (dog had them cornered), I go up with my mossberg maverick with 00 buck, handed one guy my cell phone and had him dial the state police and explain to them that they were trespassing on my property. They were arrested and had to pay a $300.00 fine and 12 months probation.

Seems my neighbor and I have a reputation downtown.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Permafrost » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:06 pm

To be honest I've never thought about it.

In town our dogs are contained and our house is not posted with anything.

Out at out cabin nothing is posted, it would be rude. We leave our cabin unlocked when we are gone incase someone needs to shelter there or is in a bad spot. We have a sign up telling people to clean up after themselves and our numbers so people can get ahold of us to replace whatever they use without going all the way back out there. To my knowledge our place has never been used but if someone cleaned up after themselves and didn't steal anything noticeable (guns, ammo, tools) I am not sure I could tell. One of these days I might get a guest book to put there so I can see if anyone ever shows up when I'm gone, but nobody ever shows up when I'm there so the chances are slim. Our dogs roam free but people expect that in these parts, and most know how to approach a dog pack and remain unbitten until the owner (alpha) shows up. I am not sure dog signs would do any good anyway. We only technically own 15 acres but the dogs cover at least a few square miles around the cabin daily, and I claim a much larger area (about 600 to 1000 square miles) for personal use for trap lines. That would be a lot of signs to make.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:10 pm

rickdun wrote:Well, I have a little over 100 acres and it's all posted.

I have signs out front, out back, both sides of the house that read "ANYONE FOUND HERE AT NIGHT WILL BE FOUND HERE DEAD IN THE MORNING".

Also have signs that read "TRESPASSERS WILL BE SHOT, SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN". I have several other signs and if any snowflake wants to take the chance, they do it at their own risk. 8

It won't be the first time I've shot (high) at a snowflake and had them arrested for trespassing and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Seems whenever they try to run away, the blast from a shotgun going off, stops them in their tracks, makes it easy for me.

Last fall two guys were behind the barn (dog had them cornered), I go up with my remington maverick with 00 buck, handed one guy my cell phone and had him dial the state police and explain to them that they were trespassing on my property. They were arrested and had to pay a $300.00 fine and 12 months probation.

Seems my neighbor and I have a reputation downtown.

Rick, :D
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:52 pm

We have signs posted, and in the old days, Husband used to do a perimeter check every night with the 1/2 wolf dog, who was excellent at stealth. However, she has passed, and we're not ready to replace her yet. The 1/2 golden retriever we now have has the golden personality and is no good at stealth unless it's a bird. We still don't know how he survived being feral for a year, he doesn't have much sense at all!

Initially, we had trespassers quite often, but once we posted signs, no one has trespassed that we are aware of (in daylight). I'm pretty sure we had someone trespassing at night a few times, but nothing bothersome (except that itchy feeling you get when you know you're being watched). The perimeter checks every night took care of that issue. Never found anyone, but they obviously saw the dog and Husband out and about at all hours of the night and probably figured we weren't an easy target, so they left.

Husband still does random checks, and I traipse back and forth on both back deck and front porch letting animals in and out at all hours, so there's no pattern. Even when we're gone, we have the neighbors coming in and out at odd hours - my parents, and several neighbors have keys and access to our place. They check on the place every day, feed the animals, and borrow our trailer/vehicles, if needed. This gives the illusion that someone is here.

We also have minimal stuff anyone wants to steal - a few very old electronics, an old TV, no satellite, and most of our stuff is "old" (well taken care of, but old). The youngest car is 10 years old and has hail damage, the other two are over 20 years old. Inside the house is the same - old stuff, well-maintained, but nothing that would bring easy, quick money. The few valuables we have are more sentimental than worth anything, and they are hidden where no one would know, since the hiding spot isn't readily visible and is disguised as something else.

Nothing of any value to steal here, move along.
Cin

Postby bacpacker1513 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:49 pm

We don't have any posting out, but that is a very good chain of thought in advance. I'll be fixing that soon. Our dog (golden) only goes out on a leash. She wouldn't hurt anyone I don't think and is mostly useless. But she barks and raises 40 shades of #ell if anyone or anything is around. So she is a good alarm. But the sings are a good idea.
Rickdun, I like your approach to this topic. I'm just not certain how if would go should something happen and you had to go to court. My bet is the opposing lawyers would go after you about the sings being premeditated, regardless of how the little snowflakes were acting to get themselves shot. But I love the outlook.
Greater Love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.
John 15:13
bacpacker1513
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:14 pm

bacpacker1513 wrote:We don't have any posting out, but that is a very good chain of thought in advance. I'll be fixing that soon. Our dog (golden) only goes out on a leash. She wouldn't hurt anyone I don't think and is mostly useless. But she barks and raises 40 shades of #ell if anyone or anything is around. So she is a good alarm. But the sings are a good idea.
Rickdun, I like your approach to this topic. I'm just not certain how if would go should something happen and you had to go to court. My bet is the opposing lawyers would go after you about the sings being premeditated, regardless of how the little snowflakes were acting to get themselves shot. But I love the outlook.

bacpacker, I wouldn't shoot anyone on purpose unless I was threatened, and if it was an accident, well I guess he had a weapon, you know a knife, ball bat and he was coming after me. Besides that, "DEAD MEN TELL NO TELLS."
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

Postby bacpacker1513 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:55 pm

rickdun wrote:
bacpacker1513 wrote:We don't have any posting out, but that is a very good chain of thought in advance. I'll be fixing that soon. Our dog (golden) only goes out on a leash. She wouldn't hurt anyone I don't think and is mostly useless. But she barks and raises 40 shades of #ell if anyone or anything is around. So she is a good alarm. But the sings are a good idea.

bacpacker, I wouldn't shoot anyone on purpose unless I was threatened, and if it was an accident, well I guess he had a weapon, you know a knife, ball bat and he was coming after me. Besides that, "DEAD MEN TELL NO TELLS."

True point there. feed the body to the hogs and who would know anyway!
Greater Love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.
John 15:13
bacpacker1513

Postby daaswampman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:46 pm

What I'm addressing here is this; we have prepared for what might happen in the future; tomorrow, the day after or when ever. But we live in the present, with the problems and issues of the present. So; what have you done to protect you and your family from the unintentional incident that lands you in court?

If you have anything worth taking, your land must be posted, fenced, and you must carry liability insurance! The fact is, people don't sue for justice or to relieve their grief, they sue for easy money. Just like all the lawsuits over police shootings. Every single "victim" was a certified POS the world be better off without!

Another option is to always have throw downs and a ready to use memorial site. I have heard septic tanks work well and they are found in most rural areas. Have you ever seen CSI working a septic tank?

Although I will admit, trespassing has not been a problem lately - I think. Swamp
Attachments
hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg (31.29 KiB) Viewed 1704 times
0.jpg
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:33 pm

Our property is divided into 2 halves...the front half is fully fenced, and posted. The back half is only fenced on 2 sides, but we haven't had any problems with trespassers...at least not 2-legged ones. The only "trespassers" I've noticed on the back part have been coyotes, javelina, and deer.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:32 am

The land all around us is posted, its private property and someone drives around 24/7 watching for
mainly deer hunters and poachers I guess. We have had a few arrested, they are serious so no one
messes around anymore. We have no signs but with all this around us nobody bothers us. I don't
really see it as a problem. We have a part lab, he runs loose but he is friendly so no issue there.
I suppose we should be concerned but so far are not.

All our rentals and vehicles we use for those are in an LLC. We also have an umbrella policy in
case anyone gets hurt 1 under the LLC and the other for our house.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby RockinB » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:08 am

We have LGD's running loose 24/7 with livestock and have only our gate posted with a working dogs sign. The gate is closed and locked 24/7 too so if someone jumps a fence they're trespassing and will be dealt with by the dogs or us if they make it to our house. We have standard homeowners insurance with a livestock clause like everyone else but we're rural enough not to ever need it. Our dogs are livestock. Jury's in these parts don't support criminals violating the law and in Texas the Castle Doctrine rules are rock solid in favor of the landowner for defense of Property. We don't have any problems and I've never seen a trespasser. If someone was walking through they would have to jump a bunch of fences and go through a bunch of ranches before they ever made it to mine.
There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.
RockinB

Postby Cadit » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:24 am

Great info and post, I like the different venues of detection, LOL. I posted this because of a conversation with the Sherriff of a County I lived in and found that everyone that I asked said the same thing, You must register your No Trespassing Signs with the Sherriff's Department to have legal right of law in trespassing arrest. I found this to be obscured in the language. I knew of several cases where people were arrested for breaking and entering and was charged also with trespassing. So I guess its up to who ever is the acting law enforcement of your area. But a lawyer friend of mine said that to help protect myself from law suites, that it would be best if I posted No Trespassing signs around my property. But that was some years back and we see how our court systems treats criminals now days, and I like many others; if there is no one to dispute your word, then how can they accuse anyone.

AS I know and many can attest to this, if by chance you find yourself questioned after a shooting, be advised; its natural to wet ones self in that type of confrontation, because the taking of a life is a very big deal, and many think it not. But I tell you it is, and it is forever. So to reduce any thoughts from a lawyer, judge and police officers, spill a glass of water in your crotch and act as if you're very upset, even puke a littler if you can. It will go better for you if you do, because, its not like in the movies.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Postby Stahlrosen » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:16 pm

We have our property posted, but it is only partially fenced. The dogs do run the fenced areas and there are plenty of signs warning any trespasser. If I am out and about on the property one of the dogs is always with me loose. We have only had 1 major trespasser, who was also armed, that I am aware of. He spent 3mo. in jail :) Haven't seen him since. Guess he figured out it was best not to mess with us. ;)
Stahlrosen

Postby stonyman002 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:27 pm

The sign on my front gate says....

My hogs can consume a thief in 5 days.
they were fed two days ago.
please wait three days to trespass.

FYI.
you don't have to be dead to feed the hogs.

I have lived there 8 years and never had a problem.
stonyman002

Next

Return to A.N.T.S.