• Advertisement

Being A Good Neighbor in a SHTF Event

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

Being A Good Neighbor in a SHTF Event

Postby Cadit » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:42 pm

Greetings All:

My group I'm in had a discussion on communities and neighbors and what would constitute a good neighbor? There was a lot of comments on the up-side and down-side to putting yourself out there, and they were good ones. One topic that struck my interest and many in my group was this; signage. What do we mean by signage? Will speaking in the confines of a community setting; After a collapse, signs to let raiders and the like trying to enter our community could enter at their own risk. Warning Signs and such.

In the community, those of us have signage of different illnesses; Flu, Measles, pneumonia and the like, so neighbors want come by and be exposed. Things like this and more. Now I know that many have a plot of land out in the rural areas and farms. But you still have neighbors who may come by to talk or visit. You need a means to let them know that there is a health issue present and to stay away.

What's your thoughts and how would you handle something like this in a grid down event that last for months or even years.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: Being A Good Neighbor in a SHTF Event

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:39 pm

Cadit wrote:Greetings All:

My group I'm in had a discussion on communities and neighbors and what would constitute a good neighbor? There was a lot of comments on the up-side and down-side to putting yourself out there, and they were good ones. One topic that struck my interest and many in my group was this; signage. What do we mean by signage? Will speaking in the confines of a community setting; After a collapse, signs to let raiders and the like trying to enter our community could enter at their own risk. Warning Signs and such.

In the community, those of us have signage of different illnesses; Flu, Measles, pneumonia and the like, so neighbors want come by and be exposed. Things like this and more. Now I know that many have a plot of land out in the rural areas and farms. But you still have neighbors who may come by to talk or visit. You need a means to let them know that there is a health issue present and to stay away.

What's your thoughts and how would you handle something like this in a grid down event that last for months or even years.

you kidding? - you actually think a warning sign to cutthroat POS thugs is going to slow them down - if anything it'll draw them ... any group that lives by the crayon and not the gun during a serious SHTF is figured to be eazy prey ...

if you have guards out watching your place - why a sign? - you chek in the wanted visitors and inform them of any risks .... a sign about illness outside a house is again a welcoming - especially with no guards or signs of activity - a POS looter is looking for disabled people or homes empty of life - catching some disease is not on their list top ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby NJMike » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:06 pm

I see signs as situational needs. If I need a sign, I'll be making one up on an as-needed basis rather than keep a supply of signs. YMMV if you have a place to store pre-made signs.

For making signs, I have spray paints on hand in different colors.Tape can also be used to make letters. Lacking paint or tape, with a little time, one can carve a sign and stain in the lettering.

In terms of communicating with neighbors, and depending on the scenario, one may not want obvious signs that strangers could discern. That alternative might be considered signalling rather than signage.

Rocks can be placed in a pattern, firewood arranged a certain way, a flag of a color can be flown on a building or pole, etc. For example, a piece of firewood out of place could indicate a departure in the direction of the firewood and rocks at one end, with the number of rocks indicating either a distance, duration, or return time. The level of sophistication can be changed on the circumstances and level of danger. It just requires making up a symbol/signage code that can be easily understood by those concerned.

Size and placement matters too. Assuming you didn't have a radio or choosing radio silence, If you're warning neighbors of a stranger skulking nearby, you may want a visible warning on approach that gives friendlies enough distance from the potential threat to be prepared.

Perhaps you're not going right up to people's houses. Among those in the know, a concealed sign for a trade meetup ("have x, need y, meet at z") might be a useful item, perhaps using a blackboard and chalk. Keeping information to a minimum and using a code would help to avoid unwanted visitors showing to a meetup or getting important information.

And signs can be fake too, to redirect as one example.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:19 pm

Sorry Cadit, but my signs read:

"Ammunition is expensive, therefore, there will be no warning shot."

Or, "Anybody found here at night, we be found dead here in the morning."

Or, "Trespassers will be shot on sight, survivors will be shot again."

Or, "Never mind the dog, the owner has rabies."
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Blondie » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:42 pm

Since my new property is off a 4 lane highway, I plan on posting on the highway:

"Free government FEMA check and food 8 miles this way ^^^^^ "

8)
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby John Galt 1 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:25 pm

Actually something I've thought about a few times. An official looking CDC bio-hazard sigh would go a long way towards making a looter think twice.
https://www.compliancesigns.com/product ... zard-signs

Unlike the OP I suspect we live in a more rural area so a "don't come down this road unless you live here" perhaps with a threat added may be useful. Or a sign that says something like, "Bang bell by mailbox and wait until recognized before coming onto this property" may also be useful, especially since so few people travel the road we live on. With a sign like that you know that anybody who comes straight onto the property is probably trouble.

Now I know a lot of people may be more interested in a "no warning shots" sign but I'd like to maintain the ability to trade with people I know and who live within walking distance.

"No man is an island". I'm not particularly sociable but I do recognize that a small loosely banded group of neighbors will get by much better than a single gunman.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby woodchipper518 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:52 pm

I too have plans to use biohazard signs should there be a corresponding situation. I'm not naive to think it will deter everyone but if it deters the common man that's one less person I have to perceive as a threat and potentially kill. A dead body or two by the front or back door sends signals.

I think signs and signaling will have to be designed on the fly with the group I'm with after ascertaining their level of confidence and materials at hand. If I make it to my chosen group I have no worries. But if I'm with a group of necessity instead, then it'll have to work it out.

Besides a dozen biohazard signs and health department flyers..I have not devoted any preps except for electronic comms to this subject. I do have a biohazard metal stencil/template if I stocked some spray paint
Is today really SHTF day? Good thing I quit drinking and smoking yesterday. Keep Calm and Reload.
Kilo Golf Five Quebec Papa Romeo (KG5QPR)
woodchipper518
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Location: North Texas - Denton County / Collin County line / 380 corridor

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:32 am

John Galt 1 wrote:Actually something I've thought about a few times. An official looking CDC bio-hazard sigh would go a long way towards making a looter think twice.
https://www.compliancesigns.com/product ... zard-signs

Unlike the OP I suspect we live in a more rural area so a "don't come down this road unless you live here" perhaps with a threat added may be useful. Or a sign that says something like, "Bang bell by mailbox and wait until recognized before coming onto this property" may also be useful, especially since so few people travel the road we live on. With a sign like that y9ou know that anybody who comes straight onto the property is probably trouble.

Now I know a lot of people may be more interested in a "no warning shots" sign but I'd like to maintain the ability to trade with people I know and who live within walking distance.

"No man is an island". I'm not particularly sociable but I do recognize that a small loosely banded group of neighbors will get by much better than a single gunman.

I agree with Illini in the main sense that ANY type of sign will ultimately mean noting to anyone coming in if desperate enough, but would lean more towards a "WARNING: Community Defense in Effect... Aggressors will be SHOT!!!" at all community entrance's, but NOTHING as a sign will stop the desperate or evil...They would only be a deterrent just like a "Property monitored by security camera surveillance" is now....

Without actual community roadblocks into any area actively manned for defense/redirection they're coming in......This is going to have to be a mandatory pre-discussed plan within at least a few members to be a reality in any community to be anything but haphazard and effective IMHO...The mindset needs to be there now at the very least.

But I quoted John simply for the fact that he is DEAD on correct..... NO man is an ISLAND unto himself.......It WILL take a village.......Unless you literally, currently, live 100+ miles from ANYONE in ALL directions at some point a GROUP will show up at your door and a single person defense will be overcome if hostile.

Trading alone after a SHTF event creates the "village" I'm referencing no matter how remote...

Off to active shooter training, day 3. :) ......Have a great day all. :thumbup:

~D

In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Cast Iron » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:26 am

I could see putting up a sign just short of a heavily armed and manned roadblock, bridge, and or a bottleneck.

There will be needed supplies, news, those with skills.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:57 am

the topic of disguising your property as deserted - damaged - contaminated - previously looted - ect ect has been discussed endlessly around the prepper site circuit - probably a dozen posting here alone ....

you can put out all the signs you want - use fake CERT search markings - scatter clothes & property to fake looting - put out dead animals and even human remains out front - fake damage & burning to your home .... and the desperate will still be coming in - MORE so because you are sending a deserted signal ....

most likely means a shooting and possibly a firefight that didn't have to happen - they weren't looking for a fight just a place to crash ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby sageprice » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:46 pm

Live in the suburbs, no need for signs. I will stay as long as I am not driven out. otherwise shoot or be shot :evil:
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby JayJay » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:21 am

fake damage & burning to your home .... and the desperate will still be coming in - MORE so because you are sending a deserted signal ....

Agree. ;)
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby IceFire » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:03 am

This is going to have to be a mandatory pre-discussed plan within at least a few members to be a reality in any community to be anything but haphazard and effective IMHO...The mindset needs to be there now at the very least.

^^^^^This^^^^^

That is why several of us at my church (it's nice to be in a church where so many already prep) have already had these discussions. Between us, we have a LOT of the skillsets that will be necessary...between us, we have defense, medical/dental, teachers, food production, communications, clothing production/repair, metal working/fabrication, and many other areas covered. Best part, is we already know each other, so don't need to go through that awkward "friend or foe?" stage.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:50 am

IceFire wrote:This is going to have to be a mandatory pre-discussed plan within at least a few members to be a reality in any community to be anything but haphazard and effective IMHO...The mindset needs to be there now at the very least.

^^^^^This^^^^^

That is why several of us at my church (it's nice to be in a church where so many already prep) have already had these discussions. Between us, we have a LOT of the skillsets that will be necessary...between us, we have defense, medical/dental, teachers, food production, communications, clothing production/repair, metal working/fabrication, and many other areas covered. Best part, is we already know each other, so don't need to go through that awkward "friend or foe?" stage.

what your church relationship with these people will give you more than anything else is an avenue into the various SHTF organizations - authoritative departments like the local PD and FD will expand with the local able bodied - church groups will combine - social clubs will become more dominate - local gooberment officials will have more authority than ever ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Cadit » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:26 am

Hi Guys: Thanks for all the post, I see a lot that are not really on subject, but good information. The subject was of a community thing and neighbors that you have found to be helpful in events other than a big dump in the swamp pond. I myself would not want to start an epidemic of say something as simple like the flu in a SHTF event, where it could decimate a community/neighborhood.

If you're in that type of environment, and in a group already, you sure don't want your group down making your security weak. Me; I/we think a sign is a good thing in keeping you neighbor and neighborhood healthy plus your main reason; your group protected. It may sound cold, but that's life; I would rather have a member in the neighborhood to fall pray than a member of my group, whom I depending on to help in our survival situation. Keeping them healthy is keeping me healthy as well.

I understand the Lone Ranger aspect too, but remember; even the Lone Ranger had a sidekick name Tonto. I understand that as much as think 90% of the entire community of Survivalist know and belief that going it alone is sure death. But still that is an individual's right and only he or she knows what's good for them. Because really; there is no right of wrong in something like this. Only mistakes; mistakes that could end one life. Many will go down that path and not return.

Thanks Again Guys, Your Great in providing food for thought.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Next

Return to A.N.T.S.