• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

E-Books

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

E-Books

Postby Cadit » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:28 am

Greetings All:

I keep seeing all these advertisements about e-books, what good will e-books do anyone after an EMP? I'm thinking most laptops and note pads and such will be pieces of junk. Now unless you have squirrelled away one in your faraday cage for if that should happen. But I think most of us have ours our and use them every day. Now; not to say I don't have a few e-books, I do; on Nook and Kindle Fire. I carry them around with me for reading while I'm waiting somewhere.

But me; I'm the old fashion type, I like books, all kinds of books. Adventure, True life, Fiction (Survival & Adventure), Educational (Cooking, Prepping, Bushcrafting, Gardening, and the list goes on), so; as you might think, I have a lot of books. But should I need to leave my location, most will be left behind. So, I have those I feel that are most important to me, boxed separately to move if necessary.

Now I do have an older laptop that I have secured in my faraday cage and charge the batteries from time to time. I also have most every thing backed up on a thumb drive. But I also have hard copies of important documents I may need.

But with the push by media for e-books, and I see it on prepper & Survivalist sites also. And as I said, I have some too, but also thing I may be wasting my time.

But; what is your thoughts and if you have e-books, how have you secured them?
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: E-Books

Postby Wallimiyama » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:48 am

I've got an older kindle (cost me $20 bucks), tucked into a Faraday Cage. I've got about 3000 books for the library...canning, gardening (which I've started wholesale), survival, military tactics, etc... :D
Wallimiyama

Postby Cast Iron » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:16 am

I understand the idea behind a ebook reader: thousands of books in one small, lightweight package.

As Cadit points out, in the event of a EMP, or just plain dumb luck, e.g. I dropped a brake caliper on my phone once, cracked the screen rendering it useless.

Granted the same could be said about a fire or flood or in a bug out situation; All those paper books lost.

Flip side, if I really need toilet paper, or to start a fire, I am raiding the wifes romance novels first.

And, like Cadit, I just like having a real, book in my hands.
Personal preference.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby dmwalsh568 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:32 am

I have an older Kindle Touch with about 1600 books loaded on it, mostly prepping, but some educational (k-12) textbooks and some light reading. This is stored in a faraday cage along with a SunJack solar panel so I can keep the Kindle charged for years post event, assuming I don't crack it.
Of course I have important books in paper versions as well since stuff happens, plus only one person can read a kindle at once, while multiple books can be read by multiple people at once...but if I have to bug out, a kindle plus sun jack is a LOT easier to put in a backpack than a couple dozen books, let alone my whole library.... :smartass:
dmwalsh568

Postby sageprice » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:10 pm

Cast Iron wrote:I understand the idea behind a ebook reader: thousands of books in one small, lightweight package.

As Cadit points out, in the event of a EMP, or just plain dumb luck, e.g. I dropped a brake caliper on my phone once, cracked the screen rendering it useless.

Granted the same could be said about a fire or flood or in a bug out situation; All those paper books lost.

Flip side, if I really need toilet paper, or to start a fire, I am raiding the wifes romance novels first.

And, like Cadit, I just like having a real, book in my hands.
Personal preference.

Lots of luck, my wife has her books on Kindle too.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Cast Iron » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:32 pm

Additional thought: books can not be hacked, held ransom, turned into a surveillance device for other actors, or a myriad of other nefarious actions.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Cin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:23 pm

We have a big paperback/hardback printed book library - prepper stuff, gardening, cookbooks, educational stuff, woodworking, metalworking, how-tos, medical/dental, herbal/food remedies, documentary, biographical, history, geography, and entertainment reading (including romance, mystery, westerns, thrillers, sci-fi, and so on).

We also have quite a bit on our Kindles. We take them when we have to wait somewhere, works for us.

Prepping is about covering bases - so having print and e-books is simply one way to do it.
Cin

Postby bacpacker1513 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:11 pm

We have quite a decent library of hardback and even more paperbacks. But we are also developing quite an accumulation of books on our Kindles as well. I think the mix is a good one. Some books I have in both locations.
My need now is a solar panel to charge our small electronics with.
Greater Love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.
John 15:13
bacpacker1513
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:36 pm

I have an e-reader--actually, I have TWO, and I NEVER use them! In fact, I don't even know where one of them is (probably in a box somewhere, from the move over 2 years ago.) I TRIED using them, even put a couple of books on them, but I find that I MUCH prefer a REAL book. Plus, with a real book, I won't accidentally delete my books (been there, done that.)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Dirk Williams » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:35 am

We watch very little tv, were readers. My kindles are handy. For the above stated reasons. However I love the smell of a leather bound book, and the feel of a good quality paper, in those books.

We have all the classics in leather bound book,collections. I'm guessing their's a thousand maybe fifteen hundred physical,books on our shelves. Read most of them at least once, often twice.

Regarding our kindles, I try hard to keep them in the cage. Frankly I often forget to secure them when I'm done reading.

DW
Dirk Williams

Postby Cadit » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:53 pm

Well Dirk; you got me beat all to hell. I love me a good novel and I've always been a book nut. But after five (5) marriages and eight different homes, It's been hard to keep track of my books. I too have Nook and Kindle and have quite a few books on them also. And as others have said, I like to carry my Kindle with me where I know there's a long wait.

Now with the toilet paper issue, I do have catalogs I save just for that reason. You see; I was raised on a farm with outhouses. and TP was a item not found at our house. A lot of people don't know this, but corn cobs were also used back then for that as well. But there is a process you must do to be able to use them. Or I guess, one could man up and do the ruff & ready style.LOL
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Postby Stahlrosen » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:11 pm

We have both. I think in some cases the ebooks are nice because I can print a few pages of relevant things I need from a book, and not have the whole book taking up space.
Stahlrosen

Postby IceFire » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:29 pm

Cadit wrote: A lot of people don't know this, but corn cobs were also used back then for that as well. But there is a process you must do to be able to use them. Or I guess, one could man up and do the ruff & ready style.LOL

And THAT, people, is where the term "walking like he has a corn cob stuck up his butt" comes from. :eek:
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby John Galt 1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:56 am

I just prefer a paper book.
A thought, If you ruin a paper book you've lost that one book. But if you damage the E-Book reader you've lost all of your books.
and.... if you want to loan a paper book out you can.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby Matte » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:24 pm

My company gives us the option of purchasing our current laptop when they issue new ones, so I've bought a couple. I prefer a desktop PC for personal use so the laptops are in faraday cages since they're just backups and would largely sit unused anyway. You never know...

Not much for e-books, but I am an information junkie. From spark plug cross references and American Wire Gauge spec charts to empiric antibiotic guidelines and chemisty books. Most anything I look up online I save a copy of and burn it to DVD once I get about 4GB of new stuff. Youtube videos included, from changing the starter motor on my lawn tractor to lancing a boil. Boot media and the software programs I use too. Been doing this for almost 2 decades now, started with misc.survivalism and alt.survival on floppy disk (later moved to CD). I have a small collection of bound books, and the Mrs loves her paperback fiction, but the vast amount of data here is in electronic form.
Matte

Next

Return to A.N.T.S.