• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

If a Nuclear Bomb Hit NYC

Post about tips and ideas on preparing for terrorism and other man-made disasters here.

Moderator: medic94

If a Nuclear Bomb Hit NYC

Postby Photon Guy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:43 pm

Here is a video on if a nuclear bomb hit NYC. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1q5deim_Eo
Photon Guy

Re: If a Nuclear Bomb Hit NYC

Postby rickdun » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:26 am

Good video Photon, I'm just glad I live in the hills of west central PA.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:34 am

Nukemap3D didn't work for me, so I went back to the v2. If fallout and radiation trend to NE, then CT is toast more than NJ. If there's just a singular detonation in lower Manhattan, I'll live unless I happen to be visiting. I'm only in that area a handful of times a year.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby contrarian » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:29 am

Some puffery going on in the video. Generally speaking the circumference of the immediate kill zone for radiation, blast, and pressure are all about the same. The Circumference for 50% kill, 10% kill etc are also similar for the 3 killing variables. The vid much exaggerates the zones and conflates the 10% kill with certain kill.

That said, a sizable number of people would die and many more suffer but it wouldn't mean the end of all of NYC and the "could cause chaos throughout the world possibly setting humanity back thousands of years" conclusion is frankly bull.

I'm far more concerned about an EMP and the long term impacts of recovering from that. But of course, I don't live any where near NYC so I do have a rather cynical perspective on that.
Prepping -- prudence in action
You either stand for something or you will put up with anything.
Study all sides and aspects to a situation but learn to reject 90% of what is said.
contrarian
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:51 am

contrarian wrote:Some puffery going on in the video. Generally speaking the circumference of the immediate kill zone for radiation, blast, and pressure are all about the same. The Circumference for 50% kill, 10% kill etc are also similar for the 3 killing variables. The vid much exaggerates the zones and conflates the 10% kill with certain kill.

That said, a sizable number of people would die and many more suffer but it wouldn't mean the end of all of NYC and the "could cause chaos throughout the world possibly setting humanity back thousands of years" conclusion is frankly bull.

I'm far more concerned about an EMP and the long term impacts of recovering from that. But of course, I don't live any where near NYC so I do have a rather cynical perspective on that.

It would depend on the size of the bomb. The bomb used as an example in the video is a B-83, the largest bomb that the USA currently has and its 1.2 megatons. At the height of the cold war the USSR had the Tsar bomb which is 100 megatons, thats 83.33 times the power of the B-83 so it would have a much greater blast radius and cause much more destruction over a much larger area.

As for causing chaos throughout the world, that wouldn't be from the bomb but from the USA retaliating and the possibility of a full scale nuclear war accumulating.
Photon Guy

Postby dmwalsh568 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:58 pm

Emp effects from a ground burst are pretty much limited to areas impacted by thermal and pressure waves. Air bursts have longer ranges but it depends on the height. I'm on the road now so can't find my notes, but basically it's line of sight for emp effects, so whatever the horizon is for a given height is the likely emp zone.
dmwalsh568

Postby sageprice » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:29 pm

You should know that the largest Gold vault in the world is buried in NY city. Nuke NY and the world monetary exchange collapses.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby astra1992 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:59 am

I can't imaging
oh god
astra1992

Postby Photon Guy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:38 am

Well NY could very well be the first priority target. NY was the first priority target in the 9/11 attack.
Photon Guy

Postby Gunns » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:04 am

Photon Guy wrote:
contrarian wrote:Some puffery going on in the video. Generally speaking the circumference of the immediate kill zone for radiation, blast, and pressure are all about the same. The Circumference for 50% kill, 10% kill etc are also similar for the 3 killing variables. The vid much exaggerates the zones and conflates the 10% kill with certain kill.

It would depend on the size of the bomb. The bomb used as an example in the video is a B-83, the largest bomb that the USA currently has and its 1.2 megatons. At the height of the cold war the USSR had the Tsar bomb which is 100 megatons, thats 83.33 times the power of the B-83 so it would have a much greater blast radius and cause much more destruction over a much larger area.

As for causing chaos throughout the world, that wouldn't be from the bomb but from the USA retaliating and the possibility of a full scale nuclear war accumulating.

Russia didn't have 100 megaton bombs. They accidentally set one off in 1961. They had no idea what they were doing.

There largest deliverable weapon was 5 megatons. And those are very very old.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Return to Terrorism & other Man made disasters