• Advertisement

Pandemic Prep: Is the USA Prepared for a Pandemic?

Post about flu and other pandemics here

Moderator: medic94

Pandemic Prep: Is the USA Prepared for a Pandemic?

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:31 pm

I think most of us can answer that, without even reading this! :(
http://foxct.com/2014/09/08/is-the-u-s- ... stigation/

By Jen Christensen

CNN

(CNN) — Somewhere in a Department of Homeland Security warehouse, thousands of doses of antiviral medications are about to expire.

Another warehouse stores thousands of expired respirators.

This is the equipment and medicine that was supposed to help protect government personnel in the event of a deadly pandemic.

A federal investigation has found that the DHS is totally “ill-prepared” for something like the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic — or something worse, such as a global Ebola outbreak or the 1918 flu pandemic that killed an estimated 21.5 million people, according to a report released by the Office of the Inspector General on Monday.

In 2006, Congress gave DHS $47 million to prepare for such a national medical crisis. And the department did go shopping; it spent millions on this equipment that might now be completely worthless, missing or unnecessary.

For example, the audit found more than 4,000 bottles of expired hand sanitizer in storage with the DHS. Many of those bottles have been expired for up to four years.

Some 81% of the antiviral drugs the DHS has will expire by the end of next year. And 100% of the Tamiflu is set to expire in 2015.

Some 46% of the Relenza DHS has will expire then as well. It was unclear to investigators whether the antiviral medication had been stored at a proper temperature.

The department’s entire respirator stockpile has reached, or will soon reach, the manufacturer’s date of usability.

And the report suggests the department failed to determine real-life needs before buying the equipment in the first place.

The DHS Capital Region pandemic stockpile has about 350,000 white coverall suits, according to the report. Investigators say there is “no justification or related documentation” available to support that number of suits, nor does any kind of documentation explain why they were necessary.

The same is true for surgical masks. There are 16 million in the department’s inventory; no reason was given for having that many.

Overall, DHS failed to keep good records about what it purchased and what it received, according to the report. That may be why the government had to report a secondary stockpile containing 25,000 surgical masks and hand sanitizer as “lost.”

The report concluded “it is imperative that DHS be prepared to continue mission-essential operations should a pandemic occur,” and yet it found that DHS didn’t develop a clear plan on how to replenish their stockpiles of equipment. Nor did they have a good way to keep a good control over their inventory to monitor expiration dates on material.

“DHS is responsible for ensuring it is adequately prepared to continue critical operations in the event of a pandemic,” Inspector General John Roth said in a news release.

DHS agreed with all 11 suggestions the Inspector General’s Pffice made to improve the program. The department will assign an office to oversee the supplies and develop an adequate strategy for making sure the material stays current. It has applied for a shelf life extension with the Food and Drug Administration to extend the expiration dates on the antiviral medicine it has that will expire in 2015.

“We will work with them to see that this vital program is strengthened,” Roth said.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Is the USA Prepared for a Pandemic?

Postby oldasrocks » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:58 pm

Don't even have to think about it RM. I've never found anything the guberment does right.

Maybe just maybe they will close the barn door on the border after the find a few hundred ebola patients come in for help. They will follow the 90,000 infected with whatever that have come in already.

The funny part here is the guberment officials that come out of their bunkers ready to retake the helm will find there is no one left to boss around.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Tobor » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:52 am

"The funny part here is the guberment officials that come out of their bunkers ready to retake the helm will find there is no one left to boss around."
or better yet the ones left will be standing there with guns waiting for them..
Tobor

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:37 am

what - not prepared? .... they have MILLIONS of ammo rounds ready for the pandemic final solution .....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby condomain » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:24 pm

It says a lot when so many of us (on this site) don't even have to bother reading the article, to know the answer.
condomain

Postby anita » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:40 pm

I think the government made the typical newbie prepper mistake. They bought a ton of stuff with expiration dates that were only a couple of years out, rather than spacing their purchases over time so they had rolling expirations.

They seemed to think that the disaster was going to happen within a year.

So did I, when I started prepping, but that was probably 5 years ago. I still expect it within a year, but I don't have enough baked beans for a year in my pantry that all bear an expiration date in the next nine months. :)
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby MrDanB » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:56 pm

I enjoy reading my fellow preppers responses to articles more than the articles themselves. (I didn't read this article) I already know the answer too :)
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator
Washington State Moderator

Postby Tonketa » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:07 pm

anita wrote:So did I, when I started prepping, but that was probably 5 years ago. I still expect it within a year, but I don't have enough baked beans for a year in my pantry that all bear an expiration date in the next nine months.
Note to self: Don't come to your house. With all the baked beans, it'll be like Blazing Saddles!
Tonketa
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby anita » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:12 pm

Tonketa wrote:
anita wrote:So did I, when I started prepping, but that was probably 5 years ago. I still expect it within a year, but I don't have enough baked beans for a year in my pantry that all bear an expiration date in the next nine months.
Note to self: Don't come to your house. With all the baked beans, it'll be like Blazing Saddles!

Ha! The Blazing Saddles days are over. Got through most of those beans already, thank goodness.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby firepolice85 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:47 pm

Well i took the training courses for pandemic and something else that went with it from fema. They have a plan to get the vac or drugs needed to get out there. It getting the stuff to the site that the problem.

here one part of the course

http://www.training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/ ... script.pdf
firepolice85

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:58 am

firepolice85 wrote:Well i took the training courses for pandemic and something else that went with it from fema. They have a plan to get the vac or drugs needed to get out there. It getting the stuff to the site that the problem.

here one part of the course

http://www.training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/ ... script.pdf

one thing you forgot or you don't understand how the Chicago Way works .... Obammy will be in charge of dispatching FEMA and FED response .... if you even begin to think certain parts of the country or sections of some states will be getting any aid - forget it - they'll be lucky if Obammy doesn't totally embargo them or flood them with infected plague victims ....

you remember Arizona being flooded with those Mex illegals dumped by the FEDs ? .... or the curent open border situation? .... that's a little taste of Obammy revenge .... if he could wipe out anti-DemoCrap strongholds on a supposedly innocent basis - he'd do it in a second - Moochelle would be beeming with delight as the death toll count came in - that's the criminal scum sitting in the WH
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby condomain » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:33 pm

MrDanB wrote:I enjoy reading my fellow preppers responses to articles more than the articles themselves. (I didn't read this article) I already know the answer too :)

LOL high five
condomain

Postby condomain » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:34 pm

anita wrote:
Tonketa wrote:

Ha! The Blazing Saddles days are over. Got through most of those beans already, thank goodness.

Damn, I have been through that before, some time around the year 2001... LOL
condomain

Postby Akingu » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:28 am

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fem ... &FORM=VDRE

At least FEMA has the coffins ready and waiting.
Akingu

Postby condomain » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:13 pm

Akingu wrote:http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fema%2c+plastic+coffins%2c+storing&qpvt=fema%2c+plastic+coffins%2c+storing&FORM=VDRE

At least FEMA has the coffins ready and waiting.

Nah, those are just large sized mixing trays.

http://www.creepycollectibles.com/image ... 00x500.JPG
condomain

Next

Return to Pandemic Preparedness